At a research standstill, Hendry Creek, FL.

RayHeezy

Mar 26, 2014
Southwest Florida
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Making this post purely out of frustration.
Hendry Creek, Lee County, Florida
Trying to find history on a creek, that has been used for hundreds of years. Named on maps, oldest I've found 1888. Have a few houses on a 1958 historical aerial map. But the only mention of any history I can locate is in a real estate ad stating, "Trowbridge Station was the home of the Trowbridge family’s charter fishing boats. Thomas Edison, Henry Ford and Harvey Firestone were regulars here. Seller has a photo of these Fort Myers celebrities on the boats plus a reference to them at the property in The Edisons of Fort Myers by Tom Smoot." Book was useless for information. The internet seems to only bring about real estate ads during research.
It's so frustrating trying to learn local history while transplants just want to build over everything and sell views.
I've contacted the local historical society and no luck, just sent an email to local university director of history.

OP
OP
RayHeezy

RayHeezy

Mar 26, 2014
Southwest Florida
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230415-100705.png
    Screenshot_20230415-100705.png
    199.3 KB · Views: 6
OP
OP
RayHeezy

RayHeezy

Mar 26, 2014
Southwest Florida
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great paper! Thank you.

????

Unfortunately those are articles on the County. I'm speaking of Hendry Creek, located in Lee County right next door.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm not sure what history or what period you need information from.

The best and most detailed mapping and written descriptions of any area of the shoreline are the U.S. Historical Shoreline Surveys. Many of these date back into the 1880s and before and all the way up to the 1940's. The surveys are extremely detailed maps, including houses, businesses, docks, fishing shacks and stands and just about anything else that could be found during the survey.

The U.S. Historical Shoreline Surveys also include written descriptions, photos and documents from the time. Those are contained in the Survey Reports.

I've created a map where you can find and download these Shoreline Survey maps and reports. You can find those at those Land Matters non profit website. Specifically on the Topo Download map.

Go to that map page then
  1. Scroll to the bottom of the map layers list on the right and select the Coastal Survey Topos U.S. Historical Shoreline Surveys checkbox.
  2. Click and draw a box around the area you want to study and the map will zoom there.
  3. Click on the "i" tool on the right and then click on the survey(s) you would like to have.
  4. A new window will pop up with links to download the survey maps and reports.
The Survey maps are in TIF format. If you are on a Windows computer you will probably have to find a third party program to see the TIF maps. All the other operating systems read the TIF fine without another program. The same is true of the PDF format Survey Reports - Windows needs another program Mac and Linux don't.

If the area you are studying had anything there when the survey was done it will be featured on the map and report. These surveys cover the entire US coastal region as well as many inland waterways. They are an incredible resource. I'm surprised more people don't use these excellent surveys.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions