at first I thought it was a buckle...but dont know now

funkman

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2006
Middletown, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro & Ace 250
at first I thought it was a buckle...but don't know now

Dug this out yesterday at the ATV trails. Just seeing the shape of it comin out of the ground I thought I had me a buckle, then when it came out and I felt how flimsy it is, I don't know what it is. It cleaned up nice and saw the gold glittering that looks like it is made of brass. Can be bent with minor force so it is a soft metal like tin. Any takers on what I have here?

The other two pics are another mystery but it looks to me to be part of the mouthpiece to an old telephone. Had to unbend it just to get it back into somewhat identifiable shape. Anyone want to take a stab at this one also??

Lastly I found an old hubcap and a machete there and today came up with a huge old cast iron gear. Left them at the site.

Thanks

Funkman

Attachments

• IMG_1239.JPG
    IMG_1239.JPG
    37.9 KB · Views: 266
  • IMG_1246.JPG
    IMG_1246.JPG
    39.5 KB · Views: 267
  • IMG_1243.JPG
    IMG_1243.JPG
    34.9 KB · Views: 264
  • IMG_1244.JPG
    IMG_1244.JPG
    30 KB · Views: 263
OP
OP
funkman

funkman

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2006
Middletown, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro & Ace 250
Re: at first I thought it was a buckle...but don't know now

thanks for the reply DDM.

Do you think they made them of such lite metal? I would think it would be made of tougher metal than what it is. But that is why I posted the question..to get answers. You might be onto it.

Thanks again.

Funkman

Upvote 0

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
whites classic sl,whites surfmaster,garrett ATX,minelab vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The bottom picture- looks like part of a kerosene lamp

Upvote 0

musclecar

Oct 15, 2006
Nampa Idaho
Detector(s) used
White MXT

I agree with mountainman. The bottom picture is a coal lamp piece. I found one like it, with more parts attached. This one has a patent date of 1865, by MH Collins Co.

HH, Musclecar

Attachments

• coallamp1.jpg
    coallamp1.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 219
  • coallamp2.jpg
    coallamp2.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 220
Upvote 0

papa

Sep 21, 2006

The first one sure looks like a rodeo style belt buckle,any thing on the back? Belt loop or pin to go in belt holes?

Upvote 0

Blind.In.Texas

Bronze Member
Sep 1, 2006
Lone Star State
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The top picture is some sort of lid. Probably to an old jewelry box or something similar. Look on the right side of the top picture and you see a sort of clip. Look to the left and it appears to have a set of hinge loops. Looks like a single loop would have been on the large part of the box. Cheaply made. Nice copper though. Better hinges would have had three on the lid and two on the box or vice versa.

Laater...

Upvote 0

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hi everyone,the buckle is a pressed metal cover off the top of a grooming brush. horse or human or clothes brush.Could have been plated once with silver and i think its ages someware between 1850 -1920.

tinpan ;D ;D ;D

Upvote 0
OP
OP
funkman

funkman

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2006
Middletown, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro & Ace 250

thanks for the replies all. The lamp part pretty much is dead on right. Found a couple of oil lamp wick parts there before, just didn't see all the holes on them. The pic that musclecar posted sure is it. Thanks!

The buckle/lid/brush part is interesting. The first pic is the front of the item and the second pic is the back. The only thing that looks like it attached anywhere is the clasp looking part on the right side of the first pic (the left side of the second pic since it is the back of it).

Might just have to put it in the intersting but unknown pile.

Went back today with my daughter who had a doctors visit and only found a dime, and 2 nickels. One of the nickels was dated 1940 so I was happy about that.

Anyway thanks again for all the help.

Funkman

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread