LinkHylian

Dec 21, 2012
WA State
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro + ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey all,

As the title reads, this is going to be my AT Pro Adventure Pack review. Sit back, relax and please drink some water if you haven't yet today;).
SO. Ordered from Bart at bigboyshobbies.NET. on March 11th. Arrived one week later, two days ago on the 18th. This review is from Monday at 5PMish to Wednesday/Thurs early AM.
I called and placed the order, Bart truly gave me a killer deal. I got the Camo version, I wanted the black version but he unfortunately was out of stock. I also wanted a 5X8 Coil or the 4.5" Super Sniper, but he was out of those as well lol. With that being said though, I decided to get the Garrett Pro Pointer instead and just use the stock coil until next month when I get more money. (I want a smaller coil because I'm mostly searching trashy parks.) I'AM SO GLAD I GOT THE PRO POINTER.
Moving on. Packaging/shipping- Responsible, a nice little bundle box with everything in it's right place and everything thankfully included. The package was 11lbs and when UPS brought it to my door I must admit I thought I was missing stuff due to the boxes small size, but alas, it was all neatly tucked in next to eachother. The small side satchel carry bag honestly reaked of gasoline when I tore it out of it's plastic wrap, and the large padded carry bag smelled EXACTLY like fish eggs when it got a little rain on it today. Being a young man(25 going on 26) and addicted to working on 2 and 4 stroke motors, I welcomed the gassy smell. Mind you nothing was sopping wet or nothing, but you could certainly tell this had been stored in a man's garage/warehouse.

My two issues with the Pack-
The sheath on the Garrett Digger, the velcro strap tore the first time I used it. It's honestly junky, but the shovel itself is TOUGH and STRONG.(this is a lie, read below for update on digger lol) I will be calling Garrett to get another sheath, I couldn't believe my first time it tore. And not like tore off, but the strap tore in half, like it had crap stitching done.
The carry bag is great and I LOVE LOVE LOVE the backpack straps. However it's not waterproof/rain proof. I need to buy some tent sealer and give it a good coating. Padding inside is nice and even. Everything fits LIKE A DREAM. The only "breakdown" that's needed is to push the lower rod in which takes not even 5secs. When I do end up buying the 5X8 coil or Super Sniper, I have NO doubt it'll fit fine.

Headphones are GREAT. I wear glasses, so big ear muffs/head phones eventually make my glasses press so hard directly above my ears that I get a headache. This was NOT the case at all. I wore a hat, glasses and I seriously have a huge head. No "one size fits all" hat has ever fit me. I've always had to buy the "oversized" stuff. These headphones proved to be soft, relaxing, NON-CONSTRICTING and best of all volume adjustable on EACH side.
Detector-I've only been running standard coin mode on factory settings. Changed to Pro Coin a few times. I bought a silver dime, quarter and half dollar from a friend at work so I did a lot of burying and listening. The sound when you've found something nice is such a nice chime. Very pleasant. I couldn't bury the coins deep enough with just my Garrett Digger. Seriously though, I went over 1ft and it still found each coin. The dime was a little iffy once I hit about ten inches, but like I said, factory setting, I'm sure I can tweak it more once I learn more. There is NO doubt in my mind that this thing can go DEEP. Unless I get an actual shovel and start to seriously get some scoops out, I will not be able to bury these too deep for my detector to find. And yes I took a ruler, I was quite official about it all.
I'd say that about sums it up. OH WAIT THE PRO POINTER. With my lack of experience, I'd be in a hole for HOURS looking for a coin and trying to pinpoint with my stock coil. I know we have pros on TNet that hate ProPointers, but HOLY CRAP THAT THING IS AWESOME. Loud, vibraty and TOUGH.
I found some quarters and dimes already btw, nothing silver yet. Rang up 86 almost everytime, consistantly. Did I dig pull tabs? Did I find bottlecaps. Yup. Part of the learning curb though:).
Thank you all for reading, I'll be riding my lil 33cc gas scooter to city parks almost every morning now so stay tuned for more please. If you can imagine me, 6'2" riding a gas scooter with a huge 46" camo case that looks seriously like I'm packin' a big ol' sniper hahaha:). I'll post a pic of that soon, I've gotten CRAZED looks the past two days from passerbyers. Also Bart, thanks again man, I'll be sure to leave a review on your site and you bet your butt I'll be calling you next month for that 5X8. SAVE ME ONE BRO:).

1 Week Later:
I figured I'd give a little update on how my gear is doing and yada yada. My ATP is doing GREAT. I have found TONS of coins, nothing silver yet, but just knowing I'm uncovering HANDFULLS of coins each day gets me amped more and more. I KNOW someday one of those holes will be silver/gold, just gotta keep at it.
Ok. So-The Garrett Digger, I'm really sorry Garrett, but it sucks. Within my first week and a half it bent. I don't even weight that much, 180lbs. Needless to say I went and bought a US Army grade folding shovel. It's insanely amazing AND fits the WA State Metal Detecting State Park shovel size specifications.
If you have ANY doubts about the Carrying Case, the expensive 79.99 case the Adven Pack comes with, then you are a fool lol. The bag is still amazing, AMAZING. Fits my new shovel just right too:).

Ben H

Last edited:
Upvote 0

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
outstanding.gif
Outstanding review LinkHylian!

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You will be digging treasure in no time with your new gear. There are some good articles on pin pointing with the stock D coil. It helped me. The pin pointer is a must have to me.

OP
OP
L

LinkHylian

Dec 21, 2012
WA State
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thank you navy and same to you Tnmountains. You are certainly right about the must have part, it cuts down recovery time by ten fold. From what I've read about the stock coil, it's good, but once you buy the 5X8 you won't really want to go back to stock. I won't fully believe that until I try it for myself though.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you navy and same to you Tnmountains. You are certainly right about the must have part, it cuts down recovery time by ten fold. From what I've read about the stock coil, it's good, but once you buy the 5X8 you won't really want to go back to stock. I won't fully believe that until I try it for myself though.

I bought my At Pro to hunt in creeks so I am going to stay with the larger coil. I liked that I can get it wet down to 10 feet. I have not spent a lot of time with it yet but need to practice some. My velcro is lousy as well I can tell on my pin pointer. I may just repair it my self with some heavy duty Velcro from the fabric store and get it sewed on for me. I like to modify my equipment .
Good luck out there.

OP
OP
L

LinkHylian

Dec 21, 2012
WA State
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm probably going to repair it myself too. Contacting Garrett just for a new sheath seems kind of stupid now that I think of it. Hell I could probably make a nice tough leather one if I tried hard enough. For now though, I think your "heavy duty velcro" idea seems to be a winning idea in my mind. Good luck to you too oh great and powerful Mod man lol:).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread