What's new

How can I increase my chances of finding a gold ring?

7up2000

Hero Member
Joined
Jul 6, 2014
Messages
533
Reaction score
1,342
Golden Thread
0
Location
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Currently use Garrett AT Pro, Previously used the Fisher F2 for one year
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been using a Garrett At-Pro for 11 years. It's great at finding coins but sucks at finding gold rings(2). I'm really tired of digging pull tabs and scrap metal flakes. Any advice on how I can better the chances of finding a gold ring? I usually look in the 50 - 70 VDI range(which the detector recommends). The one good gold ring I did find I believe was registering a 61 VDI. I look for gold rings everywhere: parks, schools, desert areas, curbs, old neighborhoods, business complexes, vacant trailer land, etc. So far, no luck. How can I increase my odds? Or would it just be wiser to buy another detector? This is desert soil so it is highly mineralized--I usually only get about 2-1/2 to 3" detection. I normally use a large coil but also have a smaller coil I can use. Thanks for the input!
 
Upvote 0
The Garret AT Pro is a very good Gold machine - (watch the "Hoover Boy's" video's on YouTube).
Unlike coins, Gold Rings (and other Gold items) come in, all over the Target ID range, depending on how heavy they are.
Try finding any sand bottom swim clubs, old swimming holes, etc. - the owner rarely finds a piece of jewelry they just lost in water.
Dig everything that beep's and hope you get lucky !
 
Last edited:
Aluminum and gold ring the same on detectors, they are both high conductors, if you try to discriminate out or not dig pull tabs your discriminating out most gold. If you are finding pull tabs you would find gold rings if you get your coil over a gold ring.

In other words it's not your detector, you are just not getting your coil over gold rings.

I have dug thousands of pull tabs in 19 years of detecting, also found many gold rings, vast majority found on beaches, few in city and county parks.
 
I'm gonna start digging the VDI 40s which I've neglected up until this point, and see if that increases my luck. It's the desert, so there really aren't any old swimming holes or beaches(washes are also dry 99% of the time). I know a local guy who uses a Minelab Manticore and does pretty good at finding gold rings at the city parks. I may go that route eventually. Happy Hunting!
 
My first thought when I read your title, is to detect more often.
My first thought was that 7up2000 just wasn't hunting in the right places.
 
All the gold items I've found all rang in with a tight target ID, only varying by one or two digits. Dig foil on up with tight IDs.
 
Last edited:
Aluminum and gold ring the same on detectors, they are both high conductors, if you try to discriminate out or not dig pull tabs your discriminating out most gold. If you are finding pull tabs you would find gold rings if you get your coil over a gold ring.

In other words it's not your detector, you are just not getting your coil over gold rings.

I have dug thousands of pull tabs in 19 years of detecting, also found many gold rings, vast majority found on beaches, few in city and county parks.
You and others here may find this interesting.
See this link below. You may want to watch videos posted in post #s 38 and 47. To better understand what I am doing and why. Some of the other videos in this link need to be watched. Basically I won’t be digging foil or can slaw looking for gold rings. Will be walking. Will dig pull rings andpull tabs though. And platinum, pewter and gold rings..user might not even dig a Nickel for a gold ring. Hmm
There are other videos posted in the link below where I show this behavior.
As far as ring shaped vs foil vs can slaw. Here’s list of post # in link below folks should watch ,.,, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 27, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 41, 44, 47. Btw I have posted some comparison videos comparing Deus 2 hf2 coil to Minelab Manticore with M8 (small coil) in detector head to head subforum here on this forum.
 
Last edited:
I've been using a Garrett At-Pro for 11 years. It's great at finding coins but sucks at finding gold rings(2). I'm really tired of digging pull tabs and scrap metal flakes. Any advice on how I can better the chances of finding a gold ring? I usually look in the 50 - 70 VDI range(which the detector recommends). The one good gold ring I did find I believe was registering a 61 VDI. I look for gold rings everywhere: parks, schools, desert areas, curbs, old neighborhoods, business complexes, vacant trailer land, etc. So far, no luck. How can I increase my odds? Or would it just be wiser to buy another detector? This is desert soil so it is highly mineralized--I usually only get about 2-1/2 to 3" detection. I normally use a large coil but also have a smaller coil I can use. Thanks for the input!
I use an AT Gold and I find gold jewelry in the 38 to 45 range so it sounds like you are bypassing gold signals up. If you want gold you need to dig gum wrapper signals. Most to all my gold jewelry has been found in city park playgrounds also apt. complex playgrounds with permission of course I tell them I will clean up all the metal in the playground and that normally gets me permission.
 
Last edited:
J'utilise un Garrett AT-Pro depuis 11 ans. Il est excellent pour trouver des pièces de monnaie, mais très peu efficace pour dénicher des bagues en or (j'en ai trouvé deux). J'en ai assez de déterrer des languettes de canettes et des paillettes de métal. Auriez-vous des conseils pour augmenter mes chances de trouver une bague en or ? Je cherche généralement dans la plage de 50 à 70 VDI (recommandée par le détecteur). La seule bague en or que j'ai trouvée, je crois, affichait un VDI de 61. Je cherche des bagues en or partout : parcs, écoles, zones désertiques, trottoirs, vieux quartiers, zones commerciales, terrains vagues, etc. Jusqu'à présent, sans succès. Comment puis-je améliorer mes chances ? Ou serait-il plus judicieux d'acheter un autre détecteur ? Le sol est désertique, donc très minéralisé ; je n'obtiens généralement qu'une détection de 6 à 7,5 cm. J'utilise habituellement une grande bobine, mais j'en ai aussi une plus petite. Merci d'avance pour vos suggestions !
Bonjour est ce que tu fais les parcs accrobranche ?
 
I've been using a Garrett At-Pro for 11 years. It's great at finding coins but sucks at finding gold rings(2). I'm really tired of digging pull tabs and scrap metal flakes. Any advice on how I can better the chances of finding a gold ring? I usually look in the 50 - 70 VDI range(which the detector recommends). The one good gold ring I did find I believe was registering a 61 VDI. I look for gold rings everywhere: parks, schools, desert areas, curbs, old neighborhoods, business complexes, vacant trailer land, etc. So far, no luck. How can I increase my odds? Or would it just be wiser to buy another detector? This is desert soil so it is highly mineralized--I usually only get about 2-1/2 to 3" detection. I normally use a large coil but also have a smaller coil I can use. Thanks for the input!
Do like most on here do, raid your wife's jewelry box, plant the rings, then claim you found them like those 10 rings a day guys.
 
You and others here may find this interesting.
See this link below. You may want to watch videos posted in post #s 38 and 47. To better understand what I am doing and why. Some of the other videos in this link need to be watched. Basically I won’t be digging foil or can slaw looking for gold rings. Will be walking. Will dig pull rings andpull tabs though. And platinum, pewter and gold rings..user might not even dig a Nickel for a gold ring. Hmm
There are other videos posted in the link below where I show this behavior.
As far as ring shaped vs foil vs can slaw. Here’s list of post # in link below folks should watch ,.,, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 27, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 41, 44, 47. Btw I have posted some comparison videos comparing Deus 2 hf2 coil to Minelab Manticore with M8 (small coil) in detector head to head subforum here on this forum.
By the time a person watched 18 videos they could find a gold ring, just saying.
 
Do like most on here do, raid your wife's jewelry box, plant the rings, then claim you found them like those 10 rings a day guys.
Best single days I had was twice I found 5 gold, one time it was 5 gold and 2 had diamonds on the other time it was 5 gold with 1 diamond.

Several times have found 3 gold on same day, I primarily hunt beaches

I only count precious metal rings any ring that wasnt/isn't precious metal isn't in my find count.
 
Remember to do research, locate a place where there were once alot of rich people coupled with horseplay or neglegence - a bar, a swimming hole, a fairground. If you detect in a place that was historically desolate, devoid of people, or impoverished, the chances of finding anything of substantial value drops precipitously. Someone here once did their reserch and it lead them to an old gold mining town that had burned down over 100 years ago, the result - they found many gold coins. There's another user here who researches the location of old beaches, motors out to them with a jetski, finding less than 5 gold rings per hunt would have been considered a poor performance to him. My favourite thing to look for is the location of old bleachers. I once found a place where bleachers once stood 100+ years ago, found silver coins everywhere, they all fell out of people's pockets you see. And as other users here indicate, gold rings are the same signal as pull tabs, you have likely detected many gold rings, you just didn't dig them. The truly dedicated members here dig thousands of pull tabs, a 1000:1 pull tab to gold ring ratio isn't unusual. Start digging pull tabs and count them, statistically you should have some gold by the time you reach a certain number in your pouch, that's statistics for you, it works. Also if you're hunting by the beach or shoreline, remember your physics, gold is dense and will migrate to certain places based on the action of the waves, a good rule is, where the water meet the shore, where the angle of the sand ends.
 
By the time a person watched 18 videos they could find a gold ring, just saying.
Folks can do what they want. In their spare time. Myself. Piss on digging foil and can slaw looking for rings… hmmm
How about watch 2 videos a day for 9 days.
Might like what they see.

If I typed all what is shown in longhand would take a very very long time,
Plus some might not even believe.
So they get to see the detector bahave.
They get to see me call targets in the wild before I dig them.
Wonder why you are even here on this forum..
Is it to learn, share info, etc.
Well, this is what these video do exactly.
I could have kept this secret for now.
But I didn’t do.
Remember when this coil released the talk was the higher freq, coil only advantage would be to detect pin head targets. Guess they were wrong huh..,, many likely never thought sbout using the high freq to do what I show in the videos.. hmm
 
Last edited:
Best single days I had was twice I found 5 gold, one time it was 5 gold and 2 had diamonds on the other time it was 5 gold with 1 diamond.

Several times have found 3 gold on same day, I primarily hunt beaches

I only count precious metal rings any ring that wasnt/isn't precious metal isn't in my find count.
Then you my friend are one lucky guy. I live in Florida and have hunted Dayton Beach at least 6 times a year for the past 25 years, New Smyrna Beach at least 4 times a year, West coast beaches a couple of times a year and have been lucky to find 4 rings that I would call worthy of mentioning. My wife found one ring at St. Augustine Beach worth $1500.00. I found two gold rings while metal detecting in St. Thomas USVI but that was over 10 visits to the Islands over the years. All total for the past 25 years, maybe 10 rings.

Now I could say it's the detector, but I've used well over 35 detectors over the past 25 years, so it's more of the person swinging it than it is the machine.

That is why I jokingly made the comment about raiding the wife's jewelry box.
 
Then you my friend are one lucky guy. I live in Florida and have hunted Dayton Beach at least 6 times a year for the past 25 years, New Smyrna Beach at least 4 times a year, West coast beaches a couple of times a year and have been lucky to find 4 rings that I would call worthy of mentioning. My wife found one ring at St. Augustine Beach worth $1500.00. I found two gold rings while metal detecting in St. Thomas USVI but that was over 10 visits to the Islands over the years. All total for the past 25 years, maybe 10 rings.

Now I could say it's the detector, but I've used well over 35 detectors over the past 25 years, so it's more of the person swinging it than it is the machine.

That is why I jokingly made the comment about raiding the wife's jewelry box.
One of the 5 ring days was 4th of July, and found nothing first 3 hours, then 5 the next 3 hours. My other 5 ring day was after a sub-tropical storm, a rip tide tore a large hole about 30 feet off shore about 20 ft x 40 ft.


No matter how good a detector we have, if you dont get the coil over gold, we want find gold.
 
Besides location, having an unhesitating willingness to dig is key. When I started long ago it took a couple of weeks to find a large men's gold band in a park ... thought it was a zincoln, low 40's. It's easy to get lazy and cherry pick, but gold has a wide range depending on size, orientation, depth, etc.
 
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom