AT Pro and MXT

HDRK11

Feb 3, 2013
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Excal, MXT, Tejon & Silver Umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a MXT and had a chance to look at a AT Pro and was curious if the pro is a better detector? Other than the waterproofing of the Pro, what can people tell me that have had the experience with both detectors? Would the pro be worth selling the MXT for? :icon_scratch: Thanks! :coffee2:

I asked this same exact question. I am about to upgrade and will get one or the other. A spoke with a guy who has sold md'er forever and a day who has used both and he told me to get the MXT (or MXT pro). I cant tell you from experience of course and I am still attempting to make up my mind.

You won't realize how good your MXT is until you use "better" machines! Then you'll want your MXT back.

If you really want to "upgrade", think about an MXT Pro. Back lit, multi tone, ground grab + you already know the language!

I have the MXT PRO and love it. Especially with the 10x12 SEF coil. Killer combo. I just recently bought the TDI for relic hunting but I will never let go of the MXT. I use it for coin hunting. Very easy to use and gets great depth. If you do get the MXT PRO consider getting another coil like the SEF, 6x10 or D2. The 12" coil it comes with works great in a trash free area but will drive you nuts if you are hunting in a park or school with all the trash.

Thanks for all of the replies, I think I will stick with the MXT for now. Thanks again! :icon_thumleft:

A wise choice HDRK, the MXT has more depth and will find smaller gold jewelry. It's not an ideal salt beach machine though.

A wise choice HDRK, the MXT has more depth and will find smaller gold jewelry. It's not an ideal salt beach machine though.

ether is the a/t pro in the salt

I would put money on it too. I would keep the MXT, unless you hunt wet salt beaches. The MXT almost keeps up with my CZ-70 for depth, unless it's on high black sand/salt beaches, then the CZ wins decidedly. The AT Pro can't beat the depth of the MXT inland and it shouldn't, but it does have a slight advantage over the MXT on high mineral/salt beaches. The differences between the three for depth are all rather slight though (1" max), depending on where one searches, and for what. The MXT is the noisiest of the three, with the CZ being the quietest.

My comparison results:

CZ for the nastiest soils and (all) salt beaches. NOT a good nugget hunter.

AT Pro okay for (dry) salt beaches, other soils it does fair. A somewhat (fair) nugget hunter.

MXT nice for inland hunting, any soil, but not best for (any) salt beaches. It's best of the three at nugget hunting.

Larry

Last edited:
The MXT works great on the beach. Just research and learn the machine. Its about 'skills'..

So MXT it is!!!!

The MXT works great on the beach. Just research and learn the machine. Its about 'skills'..

Not trying to be rude but skill doesnt get your coil over the good digs!!!! MD`in is 10 percent skill and 90 percent persistance!!

Well no Peter and since your post was obviously directed at my statement, the MXT does not "work great on the beach", there are many different types of beaches with many different types of soil on them too. The MXT has a very hard time on salt/black sand ocean beaches and finds nearly every pull tab it comes across, and freshwater beaches often have salt in them too. Compared to the AT Pro the MXT "hurts" on salt beaches. I've even worked side-by-side with some really good MXT owners too, and they get pretty disgusted on tough ocean beaches. In fact I knew one guy who wrapped his detector around a tree growing right next to the street, and then stabbed it right through the 10-ringer because his couldn't detect the 18 Kt rose gold signature ring that my CZ 70 found as I walked in his footsteps. If there are no salt(s) the MXT works a whole lot better. The MXT handles black sand pretty well because it is an offshoot of the infamous GMT, I know, I've used it, and matched it against several other detectors, side-by-side. The MXT isn't a beach machine, it's an all-purpose machine that still does best on smaller gold and silver targets. It has its limitations just like all other detectors have. I like the MXT better than the AP Pro, but the AT is actually designed better for beaches, while the MXT is not. Go to KellyCo and see which one is advertized as a "beach" hunter, and why. The MXT is not. Let's get things right for the new guy, he needs as much info as he can get before he spends a lot of money on one and stabs it right through the heart like my friend did with his wrong choice.. Here, I'll post KellyCo's ads for him.

BTW, Whites main plant is 1/2 mile from my house.

www.kellycodetectors.com/whites/mxt-300_detail.htm

www.kellycodetectors.com/garrett/garrett-atpro.php

Larry

Last edited:
Well from using the MXT on the beach in my experience..(East Coast beach,salt, even more specific, Outer Banks) I didnt have a problem. As I said before..LEARN THE MACHINE. There are plenty of post on here about beach hunting with Whites equip.

And yea, for the Relic finds I get here bro, It is Oz.
HH

Yeah, that makes sense to me because the iron content is lower there. I view the MXT as better made than the AT Pro, and although the AT is quieter, I would still prefer the MXT over the AT for anything inland. Some people see things differently, but the truth is, that the AT Pro has had a lot more complaints and malfunctions than the MXT's. I used to own a Whites Surf Pro, but this new Garrett SH has it beat by 3" on a nickel. Whites makes some good ones, some not so good. My Surf was good, but the DF PI really acts up on these coastal beaches, so the Garrett filled the spot and it's as slick as snot on a doorknob. Any double freq has an edge over most singles for salt though. Anyway, take care and always keep a lookout over your shoulder, we never know when someone thinks we are to involved to see them coming up on us from behind while we hunt. And yes too, the MXT is a very decent relic hunter..

Peace,

Larry

Larry, The MXT may not be the best on the beach, but It does do decent in my area. Best on dry sand,which is how I was hunting it. If someone was only hunting the beach, your right,there are other detectors designed specifically for that. My hunting bud uses an AT Pro, and seems to like it on land. I dont think he has tried beach hunting yet. Good discussion. The more opinions and experience people get the better. Most folks run the MXT too 'hot' which is a bad idea in wet sand. Try turning gain down, run in salt tracking, with alt relic mode. I found a quarter at about a foot.
Best to all, and Hunt for the thrill!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back