AT pro or ace 350

Blskypilot

Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Infinium ls
At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the market for a new detector. Figured I'd get some outside input before I purchase. Got into detecting about 6 months ago with an infinium and while it has been fun I'm tired of digging trash. It seems to be a great detector but I'm after something that can give me more info about a target before I dig. The hi-lo lo-hi doesn't cut it for what I mainly do, parks and homesites etc. I'll keep the infinium for the mountains and beach trips but I want some real discrimination and some audio ranges that are a bit easier to differentiate.

With the infinium I can usually tell whats likely to come out of the hole but I've seen too many variables. Seems like really rusted out junk sometimes comes up as high lo depending on depth though for the most part it's lo hi. It seems to be more of a dig everything machine and I'd like to have a better idea when I'm on something better. Basically, I've filled two 5 gallon buckets full of nails, bolts, tent stakes, can slaw etc and maybe about 10.00 in clad.

I don't want to spend more than 600, is the at pro worth the price difference in the performance I'd see? I've got access to a couple sites that were active in the late 1800s but the amount of old rusted out iron bits and degraded old tin makes the infinium pretty useless for that kinda work.

Thoughts? Figured I'd stick with Garrett being that I have the infinium already it'd keep it simple if I needed service but I'd look at something else if there were a better option in my price range. I was leaning toward the at pro because I'm usually the buy once kinda person rather than regret it later....

Eagledigs

Feb 17, 2012
Hattiesburg, MS
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've been hunting w/ the AT Pro for about 5 months now and love it. I have hunted numerous old house sites w/ plenty of junk and have come out w/ some good coins b/c of the DD coil. It really seperates the good from the bad. I have also used it civil war relic hunting and have had a lot of success finding plenty of bullets..I've never used the 350 so I can't comment on that. But for the money, I highly advise getting the Pro..Good luck!

kayden

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Ace250,AT Pro & Garrett Propointer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unfortunatley there is no detector that will discriminate everything ...you will continue to dig some trash,however I just purchased an AT Pro for the simple fact that when it looks like its gonna rain I can still go detecting not to mention the waterholes that have been undetected. I dont know much about the ace350 but if your gonna spend that much why not go waterproof!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Blskypilot

Blskypilot

Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Infinium ls
At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yah I've spent quite a bit of time reading and I know I can't get some magical detector that is only going to find gold and silver. I know I don't have a ton of experience either but I know that infinium pretty well. I can pick up any target with a quickness, pinpoint it and dig it on the first try no prob. In the beginning I had some trouble figuring it out but no problem. I can recover nails so fast that if I'm missing hardware I'd almost grab it and spend ten minutes digging rather than 20 minutes to the home depot.

I wanted a detector that'd give me a little bit more info than what the infinium gives. I'm not hating on it, I think its gotta do better on the beach or in the desert (probably areas that don't have so much iron) but no good for homesites because your just going to be overloaded. The iron check method with it is so tedious that id rather just dig everything rather than turn the knobs this way and that on every target. I'd rather have some sort of working target I'd system but at the very least a few different tones for different conductivity.

Anyhow, Bart from big boys hobbies set me up with an at pro which I should have my hands on in about an hour. I'm looking forward to toying with it this weekend. Btw, great service from them, I think they must use a delorean for shipping. Ordered Monday and on my door Wednesday.

anobis

Tenderfoot
May 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think AT PRO and ACE350 are the same,it depend on what size of coil you are using specialy for relic hunting,may be for depth issue AT Pro get 2 inchs deeper.
see Garrett website Garrett Hunting/Applications Guide

MongoLloyd

Mar 20, 2012
Mendocino County, CA
Detector(s) used
NEW DETECTOR: Minelab CTX-3030
Garrett AT Pro w/ Black Widow headphones; Garrett Pro-point; Lesche digger; "The Bomb #2" Sheath
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think the AT Pro has some differences over the 350. Increased discrimination. The big one is TONE-ROLL AUDIO, which gives audio proportional to the shape of the target. On caps, you can hear the edges, unless of course it is flattened out. This and this alone is worth it and has saved me from digging many holes. Once I started using the Pro modes, my cap finds decreased significantly. Increased depth. Pro-mode has proportional audio. Waterproof. Better headphones, although I am getting the adapter for land use.
I would say it is well worth the extra.

OP
OP
Blskypilot

Blskypilot

Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Infinium ls
At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've got a good bit of time on the pro this past weekend on a few more modern home sites over the past weekend and no doubt that as far as the info you get from the tones and the LCD screen I'm loving it. Really makes me wonder why somebody would ever pay as much as Garrett is getting for the infinium. I haven't pulled it out since. Maybe it is better as a diving machine where there are less targets and trash to deal with but I still couldn't see going back to that type of machine having played with this. I do prefer pinpointing with the infinium and the threshold but other than that the hi lo or lo hi crap is for the birds. Especially on shallow targets where you get a signal as each piece of the dd coil passes over the target. Hi lo hi or was it lo hi lo????

I have a feeling it won't get out of the close until I hit a beach.

I agree on the tone roll audio, I did dig a few rusty old pop tops and square pull tabs that rang up like coins but I'll take it because a few is better than a grocery bag full. So far pretty happy with the at pro....we'll see how it does at the lake this weekend :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread