AT Pro questions

Guster

Dec 8, 2015
Indiana
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been hitting yards a lot and a lot of things I am hitting ring in as coins but come out as can shrapnel.

Is this normal? I thought they could separate aluminum from coin better than this.

Also I see a lot of situations where is it tells me the item is 8 inches deep and I find a can piece less than 2 inches deep.

I'd appreciate any help here. I'm trying to learn the machine but it's throwing me way off.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

There are a lot of things that sound like coins (beer/soda cans, brass, and similar objects).

Just how a pull tab can ring up close to the nickel range and pull tabs ring up similar to gold rings.

I believe this is due to the continuity being similar across various types of metals.

I thing I have read and works for me is when you get a strong high tone (coin range) and you lift your coil about 8-12 inches off the ground above the target and swing, if it is still registering, then it is most likely a beer/soda can or nice hunk of aluminum.

It will take awhile to get used to the machine. The images on the LCD screen are more guidelines than anything else.

Hope this helps.

Watch the garrett videos on youtube . There are four and also one where it helps you understand the depth question you have . You need to learn the machine . I just hit 60 hours on mine and am just getting used to it .I dug nineteen coins yesterday and only five trash targets .

Good advice all around. I find that when an aluminum can has been mashed vertically, it rings up as a coin. When they're mashed lengthwise, it's in the coin range; but the Pro will "honk" on either side as I sweep back and forth. Mr. Merc is correct. It takes a lot of hours to learn it's language, but once you do there's no mistaking a coin. Hang in there brother! You're gonna love the ATPro.

Here's a couple of tips. Get easy good headphones they will really help to distinguish the different tones. When you have what you think is a questionable target raise your coil up gradually scanning the target. It it breaks up or becomes unstable it is usually junk. However if it's deep you may be at the end of the range and a good target will become unstable. With the Pro you will have to dig your share of junk to get the deep good stuff. If you have the time check out the Hoover Boys on U Tube they dig everything but look at what they are finding.

Good Hunting

IMAG0492.jpg
IMAG0522.jpg
Unfortunately for every coin there's a piece of junk that mimics it.
Both of these are silver and you would have thought they were buried aluminum cans, but in time you'll hear the differences. There slight but they're there.

Guster, so much plays into this hobby. The type of soil your hunting, the target size and shape, The type of metal the target is, There is no perfect set up for any machine and there is no perfect machine. The AT does a very good job at what its designed to do but it too can have issues and be tricked. I would suggest going over the target in question from several different directions. Try a North South East West approach. When you get a solid hit move to the opposite side of the target and go over it, then move to the other side and do the same. You will find the machine will give different responses on odd target pieces of mystery metal, lead old copper and such (Buttons can hit funny too) a good coin target will give the same reading from any direction unless its a coin on edge. Good luck!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back