AT Pro Settings in heavy iron area

JeremiahEdward

Aug 7, 2016
Williamsport, Pa
Detector(s) used
Nokta Velox One, Makro Racer(Red), Garret AT Pro, Garrett Ace 400, Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As the title states, I'm hunting a friends yard (house was built in 1901). I just upgraded from an ACE 250 to an AT Pro. What settings do you guys use to combat iron masking? His yard is FULL of layer after layer of nails. I have been listening for the high chirps to ring through, and when they do it's impossible to pinpoint where they are at due to the pinpointer (on the AT Pro AND the Garrett Carrot) hitting all of the nails. I don't want to dig up his yard as he was kind enough to let me detect there.

I have a similar issue at a local park. I dig up a plug and the soil 4-5 inches down is orange/brown (rust). I ground balance, but I still get a lot of broken signals and junk chatter.

Thanks for the help guy and gals!

TrashureSeeker

Jan 11, 2016
Germany
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, EuroAce 350, magnets on ropes
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Do you have the smaller 5x8 coil or the NEL Snake by any chance? That's what you need in trashy areas, the stock coil is too big, it will go nuts. The small one is both easier to pinpoint with and will seperate the targets much better.

However here are my settings (not that I'm a pro, but everything here is ridden with trash):

Custom mode that is basically Pro zero mode with everything notched in. If you are just after coins I say set the discrimination so that it only picks up targets with a conductivity of 60 or higher, that will make hunting very easy but you are going to miss gold rings. As you say it's a back yard chances for gold rings are slim so you might like pretty high discrimination. I leave the iron discrimination set to 32-34, that seems to work really well for me at least. So this way I basically only ignore iron and try to dig everything that gives a repeatable signal. If the iron grunt sound lets it seem like a trash target I switch the direction of my swing 90 degrees and try if the different angle changes the sound. That's how I differentiate between close by iron targets and trash signals, seems to work quite well for me. Swing slow, it will give the detector more time to seperate targets.

Anyway, trashy areas with the stock coil are a nightmare, the small coil changes everything.

Last edited:

Toothpick

Sep 9, 2013
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
XP-DEUS 2, MANTICORE, XP-DEUS 1, Equinox 800, Simplex, 1280x, Gold Bug 2, 12v Gator Gill Hookah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
........ I leave the iron discrimination set to 32-34, that seems to work really well for me at least. So this way I basically only ignore iron and try to dig everything that gives a repeatable signal. ..............

Anyway, trashy areas with the stock coil are a nightmare, the small coil changes everything.

Curious as to why you don't set iron disrim to 40 max?

I agree strongly with small coil. The Snake seems to do the job and still get good depth.

Thanks

TrashureSeeker

Jan 11, 2016
Germany
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, EuroAce 350, magnets on ropes
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Curious as to why you don't set iron disrim to 40 max?

I agree strongly with small coil. The Snake seems to do the job and still get good depth.

Thanks

Where I don't hunt I don't want to ignore gold and with the iron discrimination maxed it doesn't only get right to where gold starts but also ignore a lot more targets if they lie close to iron targets. You can test that quite easily by lying a coin or ring between two iron nails and going over it with the coil at different iron discrim settings, you will most likely pick it up with the small coil and 32-34 but it might not even sound off with 40.

Toothpick

Sep 9, 2013
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
XP-DEUS 2, MANTICORE, XP-DEUS 1, Equinox 800, Simplex, 1280x, Gold Bug 2, 12v Gator Gill Hookah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks...I will try that out today if the rain lets up. I always maxed out iron at this site before. Will be interesting if I find more targets.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Set iron disc to about 32-35 and run iron audio on. All other disc wide open. You will here small iron as a low grunt mid conductors and larger iron as a mid tone and higher conductors as a high tone.

austin_luker

Oct 17, 2014
New York State
Detector(s) used
XP Dues (AKA: EMI Chaser/Dog fence lover)
9" X35 - 11" LF - HF Elliptical - MI6 -
Garrett AT Pro with Neil Storm Coil, NEL SharpShooter and Garrett Pro PinPointer AT (Carrot)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In super heavy iron sites (notice I didn't say heavy trash sites, trash isn't just iron as we all know after the 20th bottle cap that sounds so good!) I run in Pro Zero mode with NO iron discrimination. I have done many tests where if a coin or nice target is close to a non-ferrous target will mask out the good target if your discrimination is set to high :) With the AT Pro where you set discrimination at sets the midtone with iron adio on, thats a key thing to remember. lets say your discrimination is at 30 and you turn iron audio on, any target with a VDI of 30 or above will now be a mid tone. Try it yourself with 2 square nails and an Indian head in the middle about 1 inch from the nails. Now try discrimination at 35 and turn Iron Audio on and hit it again you'll start to hear the coin come through.
So for me, it's sensitivity at max, Zero discrimination, NEL SharpShooter coil, Grey Ghost Black Widows run full volume.

Last edited:

lockster99

Dec 8, 2013
SE Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Garrett
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
No iron discrimination?....at all? The places I hunt would blow my ears off the whole time. It would be...one....long....beeeeeep......

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you want to find the good stuff cut the discrim off and listen to everything if you want a quite life follow the advice above but know this YOU ARE LEAVING GOOD TARGETS BEHIND when you start notching and running discrim. Its a double edged sword ones noisy but the other cuts masked targets out too. I hunt with no discrim and have seen plenty of masked targets if I had have been using disc and notch they woiuld still be in the ground. I have dug civil war buttons that rang in the 40s on the pro Take a coin and put it with nails and watch the numbers drop. Of course there are different schools of thought on this so you will have to decide for yourself.

Last edited:

lockster99

Dec 8, 2013
SE Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Garrett
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If you're digging CW items, you can't be in as much iron as what I'm talking about. Demo sites where there might be three or four hits under my NEL Snake at one time. Places where it literally would make a constant noise if you had zero disc. Places where there is a "sheet" of foil, aluminum, iron and on occasion, sheets of tin. I understand bumping it down, but off would seem to depend on the site.
TrasureSeeker....I'm betting that we are talking about the same type of site. I do the same as you.....mine goes to about 32-34. Still screaches most of the time but better than the entire time.

lockster99

Dec 8, 2013
SE Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Garrett
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You don't have to notch out everything.... 029.jpg Just bump up the iron. These came from an extremely trashy area and all were mixed in with iron nails.

rick67

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2014
Smithtown NY
Detector(s) used
XP, Whites, Garrett,
Lesche, T-Rex, RTG.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
IMO. Wide open is the way go into it. No discrimination.
Unless your coin shooting. It's the best way to learn.

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is the type of iron I hunt and this is thin compared to some of my sites.
If you're digging CW items, you can't be in as much iron as what I'm talking about. Demo sites where there might be three or four hits under my NEL Snake at one time. Places where it literally would make a constant noise if you had zero disc. Places where there is a "sheet" of foil, aluminum, iron and on occasion, sheets of tin. I understand bumping it down, but off would seem to depend on the site.
TrasureSeeker....I'm betting that we are talking about the same type of site. I do the same as you.....mine goes to about 32-34. Still screaches most of the time but better than the entire time.

Last edited:

lockster99

Dec 8, 2013
SE Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Garrett
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I like your video. Very informative, but still not the quantity of trash I'm talking about. With some discrimination.....I'm still listening to about as much as what you are in your video and your running wide open. But I will say this, it has made me realize that when I leave and go to the next site, often times I don't bump the discrimination back down again...when I probably should. I'm surprised how fast the deus distinguishes each hit. That's super nice.

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thats not even the fastest setting either. I hunt thicker stuff than that when I can find it . actually I love to hunt it because alot wont or cant hunt it and I most of the time I pull something good from it. Ive got a video that compares the deus and the pro on recovery speed check it out its very informative.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread