What's new

Atlatl Bannerstone?

mudkicker

Jr. Member
Joined
Mar 2, 2012
Messages
22
Reaction score
43
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600//Tek-Point Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey gang. My son found this in the front of our house in the dirt while we were doing some landscaping work. Guys on Facebook said its a Bannerstone and pretty old and pretty rare so I thougt I'd share it on here.

Its kind of small, made of rock, and the hole is about the thickness of a mans pinky finger. Its not been cleaned or anything. This is pretty much how he found it.
 

Attachments

  • 51982068_2048478771935548_2150102448474161152_n.webp
    51982068_2048478771935548_2150102448474161152_n.webp
    20.8 KB · Views: 159
  • 52605802_2048478751935550_829800368920592384_n.webp
    52605802_2048478751935550_829800368920592384_n.webp
    13.1 KB · Views: 122
  • 52536863_2048478735268885_4087460976205496320_n.webp
    52536863_2048478735268885_4087460976205496320_n.webp
    12.7 KB · Views: 119
  • 52014067_2048478691935556_5934551914283794432_n.webp
    52014067_2048478691935556_5934551914283794432_n.webp
    17.1 KB · Views: 140
Upvote 0
Nice wing bannerstone. That center raised portion is a bit more typical in pieces from the Eastern states (NY, PA, NJ) vs the Midwest. Nice piece.
 
Guys on Facebook we’re correct , that’s an incredible find most of them are broken in half in the center where it was drilled. Iv been hunting artifacts for over 20 years and only have found half’s never one as complete as that. What state are you in and I would try sifting some of the dirt around the area you found it ... may find rest of it or some points
 
You guys are money. We live in Pennsylvania! Any idea how old it could be?
 
Quite a find you have there. Keep a good eye out for other things.
 
I would think late archaic so 5,000-3,000 years ago but that’s just a guess
 
I certainly will from here on out anytime I am doing stuff outside. Theres a swampy stream area right across the road from us. From what I read we seem to be in prime Native American area with my house being on a hill above this wetland.
 
What part of PA you from I grew up in Cecil county , Maryland (Rising Sun) it bordered Oxford , PA and I found tons of artifacts in all the fields around the house I also would hunt along the Susquehanna river it’s a great spot. That’s really a unique find thanks for posting
 
York County, PA . About a half hour south of the Susquehanna River and maybe 30 minutes from the Maryland line.
 
Nice find indeed! Bannerstones are still a highly debated object, so that makes them even more special in my opinion. Since your above a water source, you are very likely to find much more around you. Best of luck to you with future finds! 5eac1f649d6dde85dae79cd96a976d2b.webp
 
Awesome find!

Sorry to hear your house is on an Indian burial ground and is surely haunted. I kid, I kid ;)
 
Been here 11 years and nothing funny has happened yet. I hope that doesnt change. ROFL.
 
Nice find!

I'd be putting in a nice big garden to start with.
 
I look at the condition of that banner and I'm not sad at all. There can be no doubt whatsoever that it is old and authentic. The find of a lifetime for most arrowhead hunters. Congrats! Gary
 
LUCKY DOG!!!!!!! CONGRATZ.....
 
Thanks so much guys. Its so funny. My second time ever metal detecting with my T2 I swung it over a civil war us belt plate 30 feet from my car while getting it setup to hunt in the main field. I thought it was a can it was so loud but popped it out anyway.

And now find this in my own front yard doing land scape work.

Just goes to show treasure can be anywhere and in the most unexpected places.
 
You guys are money. We live in Pennsylvania! Any idea how old it could be?

William Ritchie, 'The' authority on New York State archeology, says that bannerstones in NYS first appear in the "Laurentian Culture" of the "Archaic Stage".....4,000 to 5,000 radiocarbon years Before Present....which converts to approximately 4500 - 5800 Calendar Years Before Present.

Nice!
 
I'd love to find one of those. They are special. It does sound like your place has lots of potential for artifacts. Do not invite any of us to your place as it will look like a dirt pile in a few days!
 
I wish I knew what to look for to find further artifacts if they exist at my home. This was found in the vicinity of the foundation and only surfaced while using the rototiller to soften up a bunch of ground so I could shape a grade for some stepped landscaping. Just dumb luck I think.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom