What's new

Attempted Blackmail by pickup Bank today!!!

treeslayer

Hero Member
Joined
Apr 9, 2010
Messages
588
Reaction score
61
Golden Thread
0
I went to bank to get A Box of halfs that I ordered last week, and the teller said they did not come in. I asked if they could order me two boxes for next week, they said no problem. Well , tonight I got a call from the branch buisness manager, and he said that they will have to charge from now on, unless I move my buisness acount to their bank. So I said how much would it cost, and he did not know. So he went to talk to someone else, and came back with 30 cents a roll. I said that seems high, and the fact that I have $25,000 in a checking acount you should be able to get me a box of halfs a week. He said he would get them for next week, and I could come in and he will tell me about all the benefits of letting them handle my business account. I think its sounds like alot of BS!!. I would like some input on this. Thanks everyone. On a side note the bank I do business with now gets me Two boxes a week , with out any problem.
 
Upvote 0
I would take my 25K elsewhere and then write to the corporate office and tell them why you did it.

This is short sightedness on the bank's part. Company's have trouble seeing the big picture. I deal with this every day with marketing people. I brought one company more than $250K in business on an advertising and marketing program that cost them $12K, yet when the new budget came out the $12K was not part of it. Now they complain that business is way down and they don't know why.

??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
 
Although it may not be good customer service, the bank has a right to make a business decision by making you that offer, whether it is wise or not from a business perspective.

As you state you are a business owner, so I would assume you would understand what is going on here. Even though you have a decent amount of $$$$ there, they want your businesses accounts and are playing a game of poker with you in my opinion. They might figure you are willing to move all your business accounts for a measly box of halves. I personally doubt the wisdom of that call.

If I were you I would go there, withdraw the money and set up an account where I have my business accounts, then order a box or two more there than I was already ordering. I bet you that when you ask for the $25K cashier's check they will start singing a different tune, because they will see you aren't falling for their "offer".

Just my opinion.

Jim
 
treeslayer said:
........tonight I got a call from the branch buisness manager, and he said that they will have to charge from now on, unless I move my buisness acount to their bank...........

viewfile.cfm
 
I agree with everyone else. They are just gambling with you to try and get your business account. Tell them that if they don't order the boxes then you will move your $25,000 somewhere else where the people are more friendly. That's what I would do. Quick story....I went to drop off a box of halves at a branch of my bank in a different state. The head teller...a foreigner I might add, said she would take them this time, but don't bring in anymore or she will have to give me a "sealed bank bag" and I would have to ship them out myself. I kindly asked for the manager. Very politely I might add.
When he showed up, the head teller started to tell him what I was doing. I said, "Sir...here is my name and account number. Please pull up my accounts and certificates of deposit and you will find a total of $156,000." He did and came back to me and apologized. I said no problem. Just please tell me when her day off is, so I can come in on that day and not have to see her "sorry face and head scarf". The other tellers loved it and almost cheered as I walked out. I guess they don't like her either. (first and only time that's happened to me).
rileyboy
 
That manager is simply trying to land another account, and using the box a week as way to lure you into bringing your accounts.

Whatever you do, don't lose your cool, or get mad in any way. If you play your cards right, you might have this bank right where you want them.

When he starts singing the tune of "we don't want to order any halves for you", just nonchalantly tell him you are seriously thinking about closing this account, and just moving it over to the other bank.

If it is a smaller bank, or even a local bank, I bet they'll sing a different song when you really go get a check and close your account.

If you had a small checking account, they wouldn't care one iota, but a player with an account of $25,000, they typically carry a different tune.

Again, don't lose your cool...calm, cool, collected and nonchalant, IMO.
 
These bank guys get commissions when they sell people on their different banking packages. I'm sure that's what this guy is trying to do. If you tell them you're pulling your account, going elsewhere, and complaining above his head, he'll change his tune real quick. Although, if you win, down the line this guy could get mad and tell the other tellers that they won't be ordering anymore for customers. You have to pick your battles and weigh the risks and rewards.
 
rileyboy said:
I agree with everyone else. They are just gambling with you to try and get your business account. Tell them that if they don't order the boxes then you will move your $25,000 somewhere else where the people are more friendly. That's what I would do. Quick story....I went to drop off a box of halves at a branch of my bank in a different state. The head teller...a foreigner I might add, said she would take them this time, but don't bring in anymore or she will have to give me a "sealed bank bag" and I would have to ship them out myself. I kindly asked for the manager. Very politely I might add.
When he showed up, the head teller started to tell him what I was doing. I said, "Sir...here is my name and account number. Please pull up my accounts and certificates of deposit and you will find a total of $156,000." He did and came back to me and apologized. I said no problem. Just please tell me when her day off is, so I can come in on that day and not have to see her "sorry face and head scarf". The other tellers loved it and almost cheered as I walked out. I guess they don't like her either. (first and only time that's happened to me).
rileyboy

Very entertaining tale Rileyboy. You made my day :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
HH
Rich
 
Rich Hartford said:
rileyboy said:
I agree with everyone else. They are just gambling with you to try and get your business account. Tell them that if they don't order the boxes then you will move your $25,000 somewhere else where the people are more friendly. That's what I would do. Quick story....I went to drop off a box of halves at a branch of my bank in a different state. The head teller...a foreigner I might add, said she would take them this time, but don't bring in anymore or she will have to give me a "sealed bank bag" and I would have to ship them out myself. I kindly asked for the manager. Very politely I might add.
When he showed up, the head teller started to tell him what I was doing. I said, "Sir...here is my name and account number. Please pull up my accounts and certificates of deposit and you will find a total of $156,000." He did and came back to me and apologized. I said no problem. Just please tell me when her day off is, so I can come in on that day and not have to see her "sorry face and head scarf". The other tellers loved it and almost cheered as I walked out. I guess they don't like her either. (first and only time that's happened to me).
rileyboy

Very entertaining tale Rileyboy. You made my day :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
HH
Rich

Here here. Thats an awesome story! Never knew rileyboy had a mean streak in him.
 
treeslayer said:
I went to bank to get A Box of halfs that I ordered last week, and the teller said they did not come in. I asked if they could order me two boxes for next week, they said no problem. Well , tonight I got a call from the branch buisness manager, and he said that they will have to charge from now on, unless I move my buisness acount to their bank. So I said how much would it cost, and he did not know. So he went to talk to someone else, and came back with 30 cents a roll. I said that seems high, and the fact that I have $25,000 in a checking acount you should be able to get me a box of halfs a week. He said he would get them for next week, and I could come in and he will tell me about all the benefits of letting them handle my business account. I think its sounds like alot of BS!!. I would like some input on this. Thanks everyone. On a side note the bank I do business with now gets me Two boxes a week , with out any problem.

Sounds like your bank is trying to run a "scheme" to get your business account. IMO its not much different than what we sometimes do as CRHers to get coins. For example, I recently went to a bank that wouldn't sell me the bag of halves from the machine because I didn't have an account. I opened a savings account with a whopping $50, they sold me the bag (it was NOT full), and I will be able to continue getting bags in the future.

I believe that $25,000 in a checking account SHOULD be a big enough account for the bank to order you a measly box or two of halves a week. I don't believe for one second (although I don't know for sure as I have never worked in a bank) that the bank would have to pay an EXTRA 30 cents per roll to order a box of halves for you, although that technically may be what the bank "pays" the courier service. For example, their fee to the courier is $150 and their normal order is 10 boxes of coins. Thats 500 rolls which would come to 30 cents per roll. But, I'm guessing that if they were to add a box or two of halves to that order, their fee would still be $150. Again, I do not know that for sure, but I have been told that its just a flat fee regardless of the amount ordered/picked up. I have an old high school friend that is a bank manager. She has told me that I can order AND/OR dump any amount I want. We were never really close friends, and I don't even have an account with her bank. I just don't believe she would offer to do this for me if it would cost her bank extra money. I'll try to talk to her this coming week and see if I can get more info. Of course what's true for her bank may not be the same for all banks across the country.

I would definitely talk to the business manager and see what he has to say. Keep an open mind. By moving your business account, they might let you order unlimited boxes, or dump unlimited quantities of coin. Either of which would probably be worth making the switch. If none of that interests you, then just stand your ground. Be very polite and friendly, but firm. If it was me, and before the meeting with the business manager, I would ask around at other banks to see if they would order boxes for free if you moved a $25,000 checking account to their bank. I am 99.9% positive that most will agree to do that. Then, use that info to your advantage during your meeting with the business manager. If/when he states that they will have to start charging you for boxes, truthfully tell him that you have already spoken to "so-and-so" bank and they are willing to order the boxes for free if you move your account there. And that since he had your account first, you wanted to allow him a chance to "match" their offer to keep your account. If he balks, then immediately (but politely) close the account and move on. He might change his mind, he might not. Bottom line is that you don't want to pay for something you can get for free elsewhere, and you should support the banks that support your hobby.
 
Thanks for all the advice everybody. I will meet the manager this coming friday. I think I will move the account to my business bank who gets me two boxes a week now. But I will tell them whats going on and make sure they will keep doing this for me. Either way I will let you guys know what happens. Thanks again.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom