Auction Fever

Old_Okie

Jun 14, 2007
Was at an estate auction today, and there was an old D Tex unit in the suff for sale. Thought I might pick it up for a few buck as a reminder of what the early machines were like. No way! Two ladies, one of whom was related the the deceased, got into a bidding war for the thing and it sold for $250! One of the reasons I love auctions. You just never know how something will sell.

HH

Old_Okie

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yea you never know about auctions. something you think will sell for a buck or two goes for 10 times what it should go for. Keep your eyes open for the great finds....matt

oldgoat

Oct 21, 2008
As long as I'm not the seller, is, it is a surprise at how cheaply some items go for...I've seen items that should sell for a couple of hundred go for twenty...

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
It's soon to be police auction season hereabouts again. Old evidence, lost and found and mostly bikes, tons of them at our local PD auction.

Bought about 12 oz. of silver necklaces there some years back for 6 bucks. Bought the whole lot of the city's old adding machines for 5 bucks, the request of the kid who was about 7 then. She sold about 10 of them to her friends for a buck each or so, the little hustler. Think I still got a box of them in the Lowbatts museum.

So look 'em up and chase 'em down.
The best auction deals in town.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
$250 for an old D-tex? They'd be lucky to get $50 on ebay.

True, they don't turn up very often (D-tex was an off-brand), but when they do, they're treated the way dinasours of the 1970s are: $50 -ish each. A few rare exceptions occur: Like if 2 persons wanting a quirk old-machine ability, or 2 persons are nostalgia collectors go bidding at the same exact time. But for the most part, you will be left-in-the-dust with a machine of that era.

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
one of the better auction finds I have is about 200 (yes 200) new files for 22 bucks
and electric motors for 1 dollar a piece
no one wants them :icon_scratch:
they dont want to take the time to see if they work or drag a 3 phase 100 pound motor to the car :thumbsup:
file cabinet for a buck
etc etc

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread