Authentic Confederate Buttons or Reproduction?

qapla21

Jan 25, 2023
I recently found two non-dug Confederate "Script I" buttons. They are identical and have a great patina. They both have "Superior Quality" back marks. The problem is that the back marks are a bit different than I am used to. Instead of an outer rim of dots with Superior Quality inside of that separated by dots, these have an outer rim of dots, with Superior Quality separated by small stars and then have a double ring of dots around the shank. A known variation? or post Civil War reproductions? I am not aware of any reproduction using versions of actual CW back marks but am not an expert. Any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_0487 (2).JPG
    IMG_0487 (2).JPG
    516 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0488 (2).JPG
    IMG_0488 (2).JPG
    285.4 KB · Views: 28

BennyV

Feb 22, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently found two non-dug Confederate "Script I" buttons. They are identical and have a great patina. They both have "Superior Quality" back marks. The problem is that the back marks are a bit different than I am used to. Instead of an outer rim of dots with Superior Quality inside of that separated by dots, these have an outer rim of dots, with Superior Quality separated by small stars and then have a double ring of dots around the shank. A known variation? or post Civil War reproductions? I am not aware of any reproduction using versions of actual CW back marks but am not an expert. Any ideas?
Looks like someone pulled them off their uniform and threw them in a roll top desk for 150 years. Highly unlikely, but then again anything is possible.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe the Superior Quality backmarked ones are reproductions.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread