delcov

Greenie
Jun 3, 2015
Indianapolis, IN
Detector(s) used
Lone Star by Bounty Hunter, Garret Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My brother found this 30" CSA sword at a flea market this past year when this flea market started recovering from the pandemic. The seller didn't mention where he got it. I've been trying to track down any information about it, but It's been proving difficult, so I'm coming to you guys for any help. It appears to be a CSA NCO sword, but I can find no maker's mark. It is heavy, rusted and appears to be a steel blade with potentially brass hilt. I don't believe the construction to be modern, though it could be reproduction from the 70's or 80's. But there are aspects to it that make me feel that it is real or a very uninformed forgery.
1. Irregularities - the hilt is a D-Shape, but most swords with D-shaped hilts that I've seen have a "knob" that extends off the hilt in the opposite direction of the curve. This one appears to be broken off and the edges smoothed over time.
2. A pit in the blade that has rust in it.
3. The CSA embossed lettering is irregular and doesn't match what you find on replicas.
4. The blade is only 30" long (34" with hilt) and most replicas are 37" or 34" blade.
5. The guard is smaller on the side where your thumb would rest and longer on the side where the fingers would need protection. I have seen only one other sword image during the civil war with this design and it was a Union sword.

I welcome any and all opinions. I'm no expert in Civil war arms, but I have recently developed a passion for Civil War Confederate history, especially as it relates to KGC, SoL and OAK interactions in Indiana.
Photos:
20230305_110722.jpg
20230305_110800.jpg
20230305_110750.jpg
20230305_110829.jpg
20230305_100643.jpg
20230305_100633.jpg
20230305_100656.jpg
20230305_100730.jpg
20230305_100734.jpg
20230305_100739.jpg
20230305_100749.jpg
20230305_100814.jpg
20230305_100702.jpg

Upvote 7

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
My brother found this 30" CSA sword at a flea market this past year when this flea market started recovering from the pandemic. The seller didn't mention where he got it. I've been trying to track down any information about it, but It's been proving difficult, so I'm coming to you guys for any help. It appears to be a CSA NCO sword, but I can find no maker's mark. It is heavy, rusted and appears to be a steel blade with potentially brass hilt. I don't believe the construction to be modern, though it could be reproduction from the 70's or 80's. But there are aspects to it that make me feel that it is real or a very uninformed forgery.
1. Irregularities - the hilt is a D-Shape, but most swords with D-shaped hilts that I've seen have a "knob" that extends off the hilt in the opposite direction of the curve. This one appears to be broken off and the edges smoothed over time.
2. A pit in the blade that has rust in it.
3. The CSA embossed lettering is irregular and doesn't match what you find on replicas.
4. The blade is only 30" long (34" with hilt) and most replicas are 37" or 34" blade.
5. The guard is smaller on the side where your thumb would rest and longer on the side where the fingers would need protection. I have seen only one other sword image during the civil war with this design and it was a Union sword.

I welcome any and all opinions. I'm no expert in Civil war arms, but I have recently developed a passion for Civil War Confederate history, especially as it relates to KGC, SoL and OAK interactions in Indiana.
Photos:
View attachment 2072677 View attachment 2072673 View attachment 2072672 View attachment 2072671 View attachment 2072663 View attachment 2072662 View attachment 2072664 View attachment 2072666 View attachment 2072667 View attachment 2072668 View attachment 2072669 View attachment 2072670 View attachment 2072665
Is it an actual wire-wrapped grip, or cast to appear as such? I can’t tell. Very ornate blade, which some NCO’s had, especially if presented from their wealthier family. How many places are the CSA initials located?

OP
OP
delcov

delcov

Greenie
Jun 3, 2015
Indianapolis, IN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is it an actual wire-wrapped grip, or cast to appear as such? I can’t tell. Very ornate blade, which some NCO’s had, especially if presented from their wealthier family. How many places are the CSA initials located?
The grip wiring seems real. I can put my fingernail in the grooves and they can move a very tiny amount. The CSA acronym is in 3 places.. at the base of each side of the blade and on the outside of the bigger hilt guard.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wish that sword could tell you it's story. Nice

The Rebel

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
Southwest, CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i with wireless headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful Sword! I'd be willing to bet its original but need more experts to chime it. It's possible it is an imported sword.

mcb66

Mar 17, 2009
The one obvious red flag that I see is the scabbard. Almost every legit CW era sword that I have ever seen had wear from being used and carried on a horse. This scabbard looks old but has no discernable damage from field use. Everything about this sword looks nice but is off just a bit. Almost too much patina but no evidence of hard use. These swords were used, not just carried. I would be concerned.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice looking sword. I am by no means an authority on CW swords, but most Artillery Swords had a straight blade such as this one. I wonder if this could be an Artillery Sword? It looks good. Best of luck to you with the ID.

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
I may be wrong, but based on the grip, the CSA quality on the guard, and the way the handle is attached, I am going to place my bet on it being a reproduction from India, roughly fashioned after an 1840 Pattern Ames NCO's Sword. Places like River Junction sell them.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-03-31 at 9.06.25 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2023-03-31 at 9.06.25 AM.jpg
    191 KB · Views: 18
OP
OP
delcov

delcov

Greenie
Jun 3, 2015
Indianapolis, IN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I may be wrong, but based on the grip, the CSA quality on the guard, and the way the handle is attached, I am going to place my bet on it being a reproduction from India, roughly fashioned after an 1840 Pattern Ames NCO's Sword. Places like River Junction sell them.
I really appreciate the feedback everyone. I've seen a replica on the River Junction website and this doesn't seem to have those same qualities.

1. This has a real wire grip, not the single-piece molded grip. Also, the grip in the replica is shiny and more of a yellow color than what I have.
2. This has notches in the blade, presumably from use.
3. The blade engraving is worn down close to the hilt from constant action of being pulled from the sheath. This is unlikely to happen from a collector's replica.
4. The blade is shedding oxidation "powder" when I handle it. If it were a relatively modern replica, would this happen?
5. The "CSA" hilt guard molding is different not the same. The ones from places like River Junction I presume to use machine-forged parts in their replicas since the hilt is molded. I'd imagine that hand-forged hilt guards would not be identical, and this one is certainly not identical to the replica I looked at.

I could be wrong though.

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
I really appreciate the feedback everyone. I've seen a replica on the River Junction website and this doesn't seem to have those same qualities.

1. This has a real wire grip, not the single-piece molded grip. Also, the grip in the replica is shiny and more of a yellow color than what I have.
2. This has notches in the blade, presumably from use.
3. The blade engraving is worn down close to the hilt from constant action of being pulled from the sheath. This is unlikely to happen from a collector's replica.
4. The blade is shedding oxidation "powder" when I handle it. If it were a relatively modern replica, would this happen?
5. The "CSA" hilt guard molding is different not the same. The ones from places like River Junction I presume to use machine-forged parts in their replicas since the hilt is molded. I'd imagine that hand-forged hilt guards would not be identical, and this one is certainly not identical to the replica I looked at.

I could be wrong though.

One other highly suspect thing that raises the red flag is evidence of semi-vertical "grinding marks on the section of blade shown below. Perhaps the maker was ground off in order to conceal something.
Screen Shot 2023-03-31 at 11.39.42 AM.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
delcov

delcov

Greenie
Jun 3, 2015
Indianapolis, IN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One other highly suspect thing that raises the red flag is evidence of semi-vertical "grinding marks on the section of blade shown below. Perhaps the maker was ground off in order to conceal something. View attachment 2076604
I assumed that was wear and tear from being unsheathed a lot. If it's grinding, could there be a valid reason? I've heard stories of the Confederate army repurposing confiscated Union weapons. Could the makers mark have been grinded off before being reissued to a Confederate NCO?

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
I assumed that was wear and tear from being unsheathed a lot. If it's grinding, could there be a valid reason? I've heard stories of the Confederate army repurposing confiscated Union weapons. Could the makers mark have been grinded off before being reissued to a Confederate NCO?
Unfortunately, those marks aren't from wear and tear. Grinding like that is a well known technique used by "fakers" to remove stamps in order to deceive. I fell certain that the sword you show has been intentionally defaced.

jgoetz4

Dec 31, 2014
Baltimore, Md
Detector(s) used
White's 5000D (40 yrs) and Bounty Hunter 3300 (8 yrs)
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks to be fake, like this one. relicman.com/fakes/zfakeWeaponSwordCSA.htm
Jim

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-04-01 180353.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-04-01 180353.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 20
  • Screenshot 2023-04-01 180441.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-04-01 180441.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 22
  • Screenshot 2023-04-01 180605.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-04-01 180605.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 21
OP
OP
delcov

delcov

Greenie
Jun 3, 2015
Indianapolis, IN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks to be fake, like this one. relicman.com/fakes/zfakeWeaponSwordCSA.htm
Jim
Thank you! I wish that the blog listed how they evaluate the sword to know whether it is fake... but you guys did as much here. I appreciate all of the evaluations and after considering all the evidence each of you have presented, I guess that it is fake. Disappointing, but so be it. I'll let my brother know.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread