Authentic???

jhamner

Dec 2, 2008
I recently purchased this grouping of artifacts from a guy who was teling me that they were found over the years on his farms in Hanover and New Kent County, Virginia. I have no reason to refute his claim other than the fact that after much research I have been unable to find any similar stone objects like the squiggly snake-like forms in the display. I know it is probably extremely hard to authenticate this sort of thing hands on, let alone from a photo, but I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on whether these relics are authentic or not, and if authentic, a ball park value for them.
Thanks so much!

Attachments

• IMG_7553.JPG
    IMG_7553.JPG
    87.2 KB · Views: 234
Upvote 0

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm gonna leave most of your items up to those members who I feel are better qualified to assess, but I will say that the four dark red points look sho'nuff fake.

Huzzah!

Mar 16, 2019
Old Virginny
Detector(s) used
AT MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hammer-- don't know the value but I see 9 points in that frame that are not native to Va, and the squiggly looking things I've never seen before in a collection from Va. And I think sandchip is on to something.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree on the dark red ones. They are being mass produced in India. At least two look like the points from the Sahara area. Tons of those have been imported. They are genuine, just not from around here. Some of the points look good.

antmike915

Silver Member
Apr 20, 2020
SW Georgia
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I see a mixture of modern mixed in with maybe ancient, there's definitely more modern than possible ancient pieces in that group.

OP
OP
J

jhamner

Dec 2, 2008
Many, many thanks to all who responded to help me out with these pieces! Needless to say, I am disappointed that I was not knowledgable enough on Native American relics to be able to tell the difference. One final question--I am into these for a buck 75--how badly did I get burned? I'm already guessing in advance that it was pretty bad! Is there ANYTHING of value here, or should I just accept the loss, move on, and know better next time! Thanks again for taking your time to educate me!

Tdog

Silver Member
May 30, 2019
East Central Alabama
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Squiggly snakes and dark colored pieces look modern. Beads possibly African trade beads.

Last edited:

Quartzite Keith

Dec 17, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also in central Virginia and none of that stuff looks even close to right for the area.

crj1968

Feb 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've seen those same things in antique stores both in Colorado, Idaho and Wyoming....

Usually in a frame with one or two possibly authentic pieces.... Value = zilch sorry.....

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would guess you have 18 from Virginia, plus the little beads. Red ones are $1.25 each at flea markets. The fancy bird points can still get $3-5 each on them, but it would be up to you. It is worth what you paid, but not as described. You have stuff from everywhere.

OP
OP
J

jhamner

Dec 2, 2008
Thank you ALL--I have learned a lot from this deal but most of all--buyer beware! Many thanks to all!

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's why I've bought only 3 artifacts in over 30 years, and that's only because they were from people I knew well and the local provenance was airtight. The rest of my collection is all personally found. I don't feel knowledgeable enough to be able to spot a well executed fake, so I just stay away.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have only purchased a few artifacts. Ever. I don't think I was taken on any of them. Fortunately.

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would take the fakes out of that frame so they don't cast doubt on the real ones. Then I would probably frame the fakes and use them as examples to show others. I am looking at doing just that with some buttons I know are fakes if the seller will take my offer.

OP
OP
J

jhamner

Dec 2, 2008
That's why I've bought only 3 artifacts in over 30 years, and that's only because they were from people I knew well and the local provenance was airtight. The rest of my collection is all personally found. I don't feel knowledgeable enough to be able to spot a well executed fake, so I just stay away.
Great advice!

OP
OP
J

jhamner

Dec 2, 2008
I would take the fakes out of that frame so they don't cast doubt on the real ones. Then I would probably frame the fakes and use them as examples to show others. I am looking at doing just that with some buttons I know are fakes if the seller will take my offer.
That's a great idea==will do! Thanks!

OP
OP
J

jhamner

Dec 2, 2008
I have only purchased a few artifacts. Ever. I don't think I was taken on any of them. Fortunately.

Cood for you. I wasn't knowledgable enough to know this time but you can bet I have learned a lot since then.

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
ace 250/garret pinpointer, garret AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've seen those same things in antique stores both in Colorado, Idaho and Wyoming....

Usually in a frame with one or two possibly authentic pieces.... Value = zilch sorry.....
They show up here in Montana too.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread