What's new

Awesome score at the casino!! (2nd visit update!)

Immy

Silver Member
Joined
Mar 12, 2005
Messages
2,999
Reaction score
874
Golden Thread
0
Location
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't blame you for scrolling down to the totals first ;D but the story is great too. Sorry no pics!

Went to my fave casino and plopped in front of a nickel machine, which is about 20 feet from the change booth. I was just about to put some cash in when I hear a LOT of silver being run thru the coin counter in the booth. I just about sprint up there to see what's up and see the last of a bag of halves being run thru. The cashier takes the bag off (it was full :o) and puts on an empty one for the few left.

Now I have a quandry. The cage won't sell bags (I've asked before) so how do I get these babies?? I decide to put some cash into a half machine and cash out, hoping the machine will run out and need a fill. But it's critical I do this fast because any of the other half dollar players might get that juicy bag if their machines run out.

I put in $100 and cash out. Only about $25 comes out before the machine's empty. Beautiful! They come over with a $300 bag, open the machine and all I hear is that lovely silver, silver, silver sound :tongue3: as she dumps it in. After draining the machine (wearing my best poker face ;D) here's what I got:

Bens: 1952-D, 1963-D

1964 - 4
1964-D - 5
1965 - 14
1966 - 5
1967 - 44
1968-D - 46
1969-D - 6
1976-S - 1

Grand total of 11 90% and 116 40%!!

$63.50 face, 21.13731 ozs., $266.75 melt value. Woo hoo!

By far my best score of the year, just about doubling all my yearly totals! I'm going back tomorrow since I couldn't have gotten it all, judging from the amount I heard being cashed in initially.

Hope to have an even better story tomorrow! Wow this is great!
 
Upvote 0
Re: Awesome score at the casino today!!

Awesome score! I am curious, who was it that brought in the bag of halves with the silver? You could hear it was silver in the counting machine?

I would go back and clean out that machine for sure.

Jim
 
Re: Awesome score at the casino today!!

jim4silver said:
Awesome score! I am curious, who was it that brought in the bag of halves with the silver? You could hear it was silver in the counting machine?

I would go back and clean out that machine for sure.

Jim

Funny thing, it was a well-dressed guy in his 40s. I could've sworn they were being dumped from a plastic bag, which means he brought them in from the outside (normally not allowed). I'd never heard silver being run thru the counter before but it's a distinctive, drooling-inducing sound!

The bulk of them seemed to be split up between two "fill bags," one of which I got. After my haul I noticed the change booth had closed for the afternoon so no more chance of getting the other bag today. But there's only six half dollar machines so there's a good shot at getting the rest in the future!
 
Re: Awesome score at the casino today!!

Wow!
Boy, I wish there was a way you could buy those bags!

Congrats!
 
Re: Awesome score at the casino today!!

I went to reno a few months ago and hunting at the casinos there was super easy. i was able to buy rolls or bags off counters and dump as much as i wanted. the only bad part was i'd only brought $400 with me. I went through approx. $1000 in rolled halves and found 20 40% and a '64. dumping the rejects i spied some silver in a bag and was going to buy it when i realized i'd only brought $400 with me ($500 bags). i definitely need to head back and bring a larger bank roll to make the rounds.

on a side note, one of the casinos there has a slot machine that only accepts halves. you wager one half, spin the reels and if you win you get a silver dollar. i'm not much of a gambler but i still dropped $130 at this machine, walking away with 8 peace dollars.
 
Re: Awesome score at the casino today!!

Great, now I have one more thing to do when I am in Vegas. I head down every spring with a bunch of guys for a week of Booze, Beef, gamBling, and B _ _ _ _, and I guess I need to add Bullion to my list. It will actually be a good way to take a break when I get tired of gambling, and when I need something to do when the rest of the gang is watching sports (we usually go down when the Final Four is on).

I wonder if they take silver at Cheetas...

I wonder if they take silver at Alan Albert's or The Tillerman?

I wonder if it might be worth my while to sneak down to Reno to hunt-n-gamble for a day??

I wonder...

Happy hunting - and thanks for sharing this story - it was a good one!!!
 
Re: Awesome score at the casino today!!

STDevil said:
Great, now I have one more thing to do when I am in Vegas. I head down every spring with a bunch of guys for a week of Booze, Beef, gamBling, and B _ _ _ _,

I wonder if they take silver at Alan Albert's or The Tillerman?

I suggest you apply for a job with the Las Vegas Convention and Visitors Authority! You're a natural ST, ha!

BTW, I used to know the "Alan" of Alan Alberts back in the 90s. A stuck-up preppie whose Dad had more money than God. I came thisclose to working for him but backed out. The steaks in his place went for about ten 90%ers back then.
 
Re: Awesome score at the casino today!!

Outstanding casino haul there Immy.

i, too, do love that sound of silver.

Mucho kudos!
 
Re: Awesome score at the casino today!!

Awesome!!! :thumbsup:
 
Re: Awesome score at the casino today!!

Sweet haul there. I love that sound too - yesterday I was checking some hand rolled dimes. I wasn't even looking and was pouring the roll into my hand and heard the sound. I said to myself "oh there is one" and sure enough there was that lone silver sliver peeking out at me!
Maine_Jim
 
Re: Awesome score at the casino today!!

Wow, nice score. Talk about being at the right place at the right time.
 
Re: Awesome score at the casino today!!

Nice job and quick thinking draining the machine just in time!
 
Re: Awesome score at the casino today!!

Very, very nice Immy.....Schweeet! That is quite a haul from a casino. That is what I call being in the right place at the right time. Congrats!!!

Ooooh, the sweet sound of silver is music to the ears.

Good luck on the next search.
 
Re: Awesome score at the casino today!!

Well I hit most of the half machines today and got $11 more in silver. Breakdown -

Ben: 1952-D

1964 - 2
1965 - 2
1966 - 2
1967 - 7
1968 - 7
1969 - 1

I couldn't get to one machine (someone was playing it) but I didn't hear any silver when they cashed out. So either I got most of it or that's all there was, about $75 face. Could be the guy who brought this in had a mixed bag of silver & clad or the fill bag with the rest hasn't been dumped into a machine yet. Either way this was a weekend to remember!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom