Awfully quiet lately...

HardRockNM

Nov 8, 2020
New Mexico/Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I worked for Tamrock from 1986 to 1992. In those years the company aquire Drilltech which made large DTH drills and then Eimco which I was the parts person for in Denver. Eimco still supported a fair amount of 12Bs and larger over shot muckers in those years. Later Sandvik bought every out and that's when I left the company and went to work for Brunner & Lay throughout most of the 90s covering COLO,.AZ, NM, UT & NEV. Those were very active years with small to large underground mines. In the last 23 years I've been with BTE which merged with Midwest rockdrills and F&H Mine Supply. I threw in my hat this month to retire, Though my old employer who owened BTE had a falling out with the Midwest bunch and has started a new company with ownership under his wife to avoid any agreeing terms with MW. He's wanting me to join in with that operation now. Who knows maybe I'll continue on. It's been a long road for me involved in the mining business which all began in 1977 where I started out as a miner when I was just 20 years old, hanging wire & bolts with a genuine GD-S83.
We know some of the same people then - our new consumables (those not acquired in trade or as payment) are largely purchased from F&H. The industry is ramping back up in a major way in Arizona, and indicators are that New Mexico may follow.

That's a genuine GD S83 in the third picture, though it's been refurbished with F&H components (new D-handle, NY head, and I believe pawls and a chuck liner at least) in the last year.

Puzzling through the EIMCO/EJC/Tamrock/Sandvik changeovers has been a bit confusing. To my eye at least, some machines stayed largely the same but received new model numbers. The 2-yard I'm primarily looking at is a 922, but I'm concerned about documentation, parts availability, and that funny center oscillation system. An old EIMCO engineer I know reported numerous tip-over incidents with 921s at Homestake during initial testing.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We know some of the same people then - our new consumables (those not acquired in trade or as payment) are largely purchased from F&H. The industry is ramping back up in a major way in Arizona, and indicators are that New Mexico may follow.

That's a genuine GD S83 in the third picture, though it's been refurbished with F&H components (new D-handle, NY head, and I believe pawls and a chuck liner at least) in the last year.

Puzzling through the EIMCO/EJC/Tamrock/Sandvik changeovers has been a bit confusing. To my eye at least, some machines stayed largely the same but received new model numbers. The 2-yard I'm primarily looking at is a 922, but I'm concerned about documentation, parts availability, and that funny center oscillation system. An old EIMCO engineer I know reported numerous tip-over incidents with 921s at Homestake during initial testing.
Who do you know that sells Eimco parts? I know Young might still be able to possibly source some items. Tamrock acquired Eimco-Jarvis Clark in the early 90s and I worked with some of the people that came from there. Homstake was still mining when I worked there, but I don't recall the issue with the 921. I'd put those 1yd. Wagner Scoopy's into some pretty hairy rocking and rolling situations on the steep inclines we had at the Climax Mine when I was there. Indeed Arizona is getting up and going pretty well. Are you around Lordsberg area.? I was really involved with Questa when they were going. I sure miss seeing the folks I delt with then. You probably know one I knew who's now with MSHA. Mr. Coats.

HardRockNM

Nov 8, 2020
New Mexico/Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Young's has helped us out before. My source for hydraulic components is Pillar Manufacturing up in Michigan, they're good people and expedited a new o-ring to get that machine up and running. The pumps and motor are off-the-shelf Sundstrand units. I've primarily thrown tires, hoses, an alternator, lift pump, some cylinder work, and electrical at that machine. The one hard-to-find consumable is the high-pressure transmission filter. It seems like a once-a-year limited run so I buy as found to keep one on the shelf.

Those little 1-yard Wagners seem to have been overshadowed by 911s and later the JCI machines. I've only seen one HST-1 in person and it was a core with the engine, pumps, and transmission ripped out. That same boneyard had half of an EHST-1 cable reel machine; I didn't even know those existed until I found it!

Don Laeding was the one talking about tippy 921s. I've wondered if it was an operator problem; those oscillate on the roll axis at the center articulation joint rather than using a rear axle bolster like almost every other machine. He was involved with the latest Ouray fiasco, too.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Young's has helped us out before. My source for hydraulic components is Pillar Manufacturing up in Michigan, they're good people and expedited a new o-ring to get that machine up and running. The pumps and motor are off-the-shelf Sundstrand units. I've primarily thrown tires, hoses, an alternator, lift pump, some cylinder work, and electrical at that machine. The one hard-to-find consumable is the high-pressure transmission filter. It seems like a once-a-year limited run so I buy as found to keep one on the shelf.

Those little 1-yard Wagners seem to have been overshadowed by 911s and later the JCI machines. I've only seen one HST-1 in person and it was a core with the engine, pumps, and transmission ripped out. That same boneyard had half of an EHST-1 cable reel machine; I didn't even know those existed until I found it!

Don Laeding was the one talking about tippy 921s. I've wondered if it was an operator problem; those oscillate on the roll axis at the center articulation joint rather than using a rear axle bolster like almost every other machine. He was involved with the latest Ouray fiasco, too.
I forgot about Pillar. I knew Greg Piller, but I think his son runs it now and I believe I met him at a mine expo some years ago. Harrison Western has a 911 and I'll give the shop manager a shout and see if he knows of any other parts sources, but for the most part they source hydraulic comments, make their own hoses as they are generally off the shelf components or something they can find interchangeable. They know how to keep that old gear up and running pretty well and I've delt with them for many years now. Yeah Ouray kinda put a hurt on quite a few people supporting that operation among a few others that I know of that failed within the last few years.

Last edited:

HardRockNM

Nov 8, 2020
New Mexico/Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I forgot about Pillar. I knew Greg Piller, but I think his son runs it now and I believe I met him at a mine expo some years ago. Harrison Western has a 911 and I'll give the shop manager a shout and see if he knows of any other parts sources, but for the most part they source hydraulic comments, make their own hoses as they are generally off the shelf components or something they can find interchangeable. They know how to keep that old gear up and running pretty well and I've delt with them for many years now. Yeah Ouray kinda put a hurt on quite a few people supporting that operation among a few others that I know of that failed within the last few years.
I guess his son would be Scott Pillar. I have nothing but good to say about that company. Young's is less responsive but has always done right by us; I may be in the market to buy another one of their trucks this year.

All the hydraulic hoses on them use JIC fittings which certainly simplifies things. I happen to live a few minutes from an equipment dealer that makes hoses; we use them since we aren't large enough to justify a crimper and fitting inventory yet.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess his son would be Scott Pillar. I have nothing but good to say about that company. Young's is less responsive but has always done right by us; I may be in the market to buy another one of their trucks this year.

All the hydraulic hoses on them use JIC fittings which certainly simplifies things. I happen to live a few minutes from an equipment dealer that makes hoses; we use them since we aren't large enough to justify a crimper and fitting inventory yet.
When I worked for Tamrock in Rancho Cordova California I was the one who did all the purchasing. We bought a lot of hydraulic hose from Aeroquip. They had a deal going if you purchased so many dollars in hose and fittings they gave you a new hose crimper. We bought so much we were able to get two of the crimpers free of charge. We had a big need on the very first HS205 Jumbo built in Finland delivered to the US. No one thought to ask it be all hosed with JIC and it came with all BSP fittings, so we refitted the majority of the boom and feed hoses all with JIC fittings all back to the control panels. That jumbo went to Nevada Gold Fields Mining Co. in Kingston, Nevada. That was around 1987 and it wasn't long after that the mines in Northern, Nevada started ordering about one two boom jumbo a month. SMD was doing some work towards the end of that mine in Kingston and when the mines in northern NV all started going underground. That's when Small Mine Development went from basically what their name described to what they are today a major mining contractor they are today. They were definitely in the right place at the right time.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread