What's new

axe head help please

mrtwintower

Jr. Member
Joined
Jun 15, 2010
Messages
45
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Found this old axe head and was hoping somebody might help with more info about it. Who might have made it? Where on the axe would I find a makers name? Is there a way to clean it? Any good websites out there for axe info?
Thank you!
 

Attachments

  • axehead.webp
    axehead.webp
    10.3 KB · Views: 3,613
.axes.webp
 

Attachments

  • axes.webp
    axes.webp
    36.5 KB · Views: 659
Upvote 0
A lot of your old ax heads, and most other implements for that matter were made by local blacksmiths..... no real way to ever attribute them to a certain maker. Nice find though, those old axes are really cool.
 
Upvote 0
I find a good number of axe heads. When I find a really nice one I'm thinking of putting on a new handle and using it. I use old tools in my profession, so it's always nice when I can find on I can utilize again.
 
Upvote 0
The problem with axe heads to date them.They were made the same way and with the same designs from the 1600's 1700's right up to the mid 20th century.When I get a good one I make throwin' axes out of them!(beats horseshoes on a nice beer and B.B.Q day)
 
Upvote 0
I'm not an expert, but this example looks machine forged from a factory.

A maker's mark most often is found on the face of an ax, usually near the square end.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom