Whatever it is it's pretty gruesome, not exactly something you want to display when your Mom comes to visit.
I agree with Samantha, the paint colors and texture looks relatively modern probably 1980s - 90s.
Are there any marks on the base and where did you find it?
Based on a painting by H. M. Herget published in National Geographic magazine - June 1937. Herget based his painting on an eyewitness account from a follower of Cortes.
Yeah....I looked up HM HERGET and still nothing about his image being used on mass produced pottery from the 70's 80's or 90's....nothing anywhere...I've searched all over. My first thought was yeah...mass produced but cool...but cant find this ANYWHERE...So I think it's a one off by someone who had a hell of alot of time to paint this In this fashion. It looks to be unique
I found this in a salvation army thrift store....no markings no. Not under the base either. All hand painted with brush Mark's. Cant find this as a mass produced item anywhere even using the name HM Herget...who painted the original image in 1937. Mystery who made this.