B2 Umax upgrades. ?

Vin-Diesel

Jan 18, 2009
So. Cal
Detector(s) used
Tesoro B2/Umax
I have a 2000-2001 Bandito 2 Umax and I am wanting to upgrade with different coils. I read in here in an older post that it is a waste of time and money to put new larger or smaller coils on an older machine.

I don't want to let go of my B2 as I like it.. alot. I do however want to try some different coils on it .... will this be a waste of time and money?

Any comments or opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks
Vince in So. Cal.

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
The detector you have is a great little detector.I don't see anything wrong with adding a coil or two if you are satisfied with the detector.First thing to do is to let us know what coil you have now and what coil(s)you are thinking about and why you are considering them,i.e.,depth?trashy areas?Have you read these? http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,271279.0.html

OP
OP
Vin-Diesel

Vin-Diesel

Jan 18, 2009
So. Cal
Detector(s) used
Tesoro B2/Umax
I have only the 8" coil that came with the unit when new.

I was wanting a larger coil (size? Im not sure what is available) but I am somewhat of an amature geologist and weekend rock-hound, prospector and I was wanting a larger coil to cover more ground in the desert (Mojave is where I usualy go). I do on occasion use my B2 for nugget shooting, although I believe the lobo is the machine for that, I still use the B2 for looking for nuggets as it's what I allready own and works well.

I was wanting a smaller (maybe eliptical) style coil for hunting the parks around my area. I hunt the parks now with the 8" but there is lots and lots of trash and I wanted to see what its like with a smaller coil.

I am about 6 miles from the local beach so I do hunt the sand in the dry area's as the B2 doesent seem to like the wet sand. It get all kinds of false readings in the salt-water and wet sand. But in the dry sand.... it will find quarters all day long.

I had already looked at the link you sent ... that is where I saw the post about wasting time with differrent coils on older machines. I posted on that forum as well.

Thanks

vince.

CWnut

May 9, 2003
E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro tigershark----Tesoro Conquistador Umax------Fisher FX-3----Master Hunter CX-Plus w/ depth multiplier
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
an assortment of coils will add to the versatility of any detector. Any of the Umax coils will work for your detector. As most detectors come with a 7 or 8 inch coil (8x9 umax) people usually like to add either a 4" or 5.75" for detecting trashy areas and along fence rows. The smaller coil is also more sensitive to small jewelry but sacrifices depth and ground coverage. a 12" coil(10x12umax) gives a little extra depth and ground coverage and can be used in open and/or trash free areas, it however sacrifices some sensitivity to small jewelry. If you live in an area with mineralized soil you may want to consider adding the double D or widescan coil. Tesoro also offers a cleansweep coil (18x4) for use in large open areas such as sports fields. Tesoro website offers an explanation of which coils are used for each area.

Personally for my Tesoro i have a 4", 7"shadow, 8"x9", 8" widescan and a 10"x12"
My grab and go setup is the 7" shadow coil on the Conquistador Umax.

By the way, i used to own a B2U. Fantastic machine.

OP
OP
Vin-Diesel

Vin-Diesel

Jan 18, 2009
So. Cal
Detector(s) used
Tesoro B2/Umax
Thank you for the very informative information... I appreciate it.
I will go to the Tesoro homepage and read what they offer for the B2u.

Thanks again..

Vince.

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the cleansweep (3x18) at the beach. You can cover a lot of ground with it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread