What's new

Back from vacation

Silver Stripe

Bronze Member
Joined
Jul 8, 2007
Messages
1,801
Reaction score
8
Golden Thread
0
Location
USA
I didn't have as profitable trip as PB but found myself in a different kind of hunting ground than I'm used to. Everybody had halves and lots of them. I would go in and say "I'm looking for a quantity of halves", "How much do you want?" I say all you got, they say "We can't sell you all we got", "OK whatever you can spare up to $1000"- "Oh we can sell you $1000". Two towns, four banks and I'z out of hunting money. Found a US Bank which the family business has an account at, went in and talked to a very nice lady, coin counter? yes, counts halves? yes, good I'll be right back. $1400 that day, $2400 the next, and another $1400 the next. Dounuts, candy, yada, yada. They also gave me 3 canvas bags sos I didn't use my 2 gallon bucket cause I'd fill it too full LOL. Monday I made a big loop- about 300 miles over 6 passes. Hit every bank till my $4000 was gone. First small town had $80 and they gave me a deposit bag to carry them- my first souvenier. Second town didn't have any halves but was having a fundraiser for the volunteer fire dept. The original bank had burned down and the bricks that survived the fire were $5, made in 1892- another souvenier. Next town had lots of banks got one of them huge canvas bags and lots of halves- also where I heard the first "F" word. 5%- I thought I looked more intelligent than that- I dressed well haha. Didn't pay the fee neither. Next town I spent my last $500 on the coin bag out of counter. Long day and I still had 120 miles to go over the worst pass of the trip to get back to my trailer. My one ton truck bout beat the crap out of me on that trip. Total take for two weeks of hunting and dumping was 110 40%'s, 6 '64's, 4 Bens, 1 Walker. O and total gas bill was $300 so I didn't make gas money haha, but I seen alot I'd never seen- I also got to go see my Grandfathers grave site which I hadn't been to since we laid him to rest in '92. Will take couple days for pics. Mark
 
Upvote 0
Hey. Sounds like an interesting trip. I like to think the adventure, fun, etc + the coins equals my gas money.

Brian
 
That's a respectable count there ME. What makes me sick is I stopped at a small town to get gas during my road trip. It was 2 miles North of I80 in Nebraska. When I pulled into the gas station I noticed an old, brick bank across the street and you know what I was wanting to do. The bank didn't open until 8:30 and it was only 7:30. I left and headed West. An hour or so later I pulled into another town to hunt. The bank I stopped at only had a few halves but they told me their branch back in the town I had gotten gas had a LOT of halves! :-[.......................I'll never know
 
I actually got almost half from one sealed Fed box right at the beginning of the trip before I got all the way to the hunting grounds. The Walker, Ben, 3 '64's, and 41 40%ers. Was awesome, first roll had 4, next 10 or 12 had at least one. Then I got skunked on a roll LOL. 28 rolls out of 50 had something- I was looking for much better results after that. What I found was lots of hunting going on over there- so feel fortunate with the results I got. There was one little town I went to first day, I went in and asked for halves, teller started counting the trays, I asked it there were any in the vault- she said no there is only 3 rolls down below. I said did you just say you had 3 rolls? Woops, yes did you want them to? Yes maam. Openned them 3 Fed rolls at camp, first one had 3 40%'s and the other 2 had one apiece. I just knew the rest of that box is still in the vault but when I came home that way and stopped I got the same teller and they had about $15 loose but nothing in the vault. Next morning was when I cleaned out the next town and happened onto that box I just spoke of- expectations were high to say the least. I will wonder about the towns I went through but couldn't hunt without unhooking my trailer, have to run over there soon haha. Was a good trip anyways, I camped at my uncles and was able to have a shower for my bank jobs- something I couldn't have camping in the boonies.
HH Mark
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom