What's new

Back Mark help

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Joined
Mar 5, 2010
Messages
7,742
Reaction score
12,709
Golden Thread
0
Location
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can anyone help with this BackMark? "Treble Gilt Stand Col EA&S". Sorry, I don't have a picture but it is a flat button.
 
EA&S is Edward Armfield & Son, of Birmingham, England. Listed as a button-maker from 1805 to 1860. Your button's typic British "Quality" marking supports that identification. By the way, the E. Armfield & Son backmark is on an 1816-era 1-piece brass Massachusetts Independent Corps of Cadets button, listed as MS60A in the Albert button book. So, all things considered, I believe the statistical odds favor your button having been made sometime between 1815 (just after the US-versus-Britain War of 1812 ended) and approximately 1830 (when US-made buttons became cheaper than imported British-made buttons).
 
Upvote 0
Thank you. I'll pass the info along.
 
Upvote 0
Update:
I got a PM which alerted me to the fact that I'd mis-typed Armfield (as Armfied) in one of the two places I'd typed that name in my previous post. It's corrected now. The name is definitely Armfield, not Armfied.
 
Upvote 0

Similar threads

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom