Back out "Newbie digging"

Rob (B.C.)

Apr 14, 2009
Hiked into some late 1800's mining cabin sites today.....I Don't know how some of these sites are in other areas, but around here, there appears to be no traditional "Dump"....Garbage and everything is just randomly tossed....The only success I have is using my skinny probe and probing the whole area around the cabins to find the random bottles.

Here are the fruits of my labor for the day......Not sure on the bottle on the left...Champagne??

Davis Vegetable Painkiller and an old green beer.....

RelicDude

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2012
north west connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds and welcome. Your site sounds a lot like some of the places I hunt. I would think there would be a privy around the cabin somewhere.

Sent from my iPod touch using TreasureNet

treasurehunter313

Apr 29, 2014
PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How obvious is it when you hit a glass bottle? Sorry for the dumb question, but I never did it. I have successfully locate and dug a privy and got bottles but never randomly probed for them. Also how likely is it that a small one room stone school building from the late 1800s would have a privy near it? Also may be a dumb question, but I wasn't sure if it was common practice or they would use the one near the house. I have access to a property that had a school house somewhere on it and haven't found it yet. Thanks in advance for help.

Last edited:

RelicDude

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2012
north west connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's no such thing as a dumb question in my opinion. I would think there would be a privy by the school house they would of had to go to the bathroom somewhere. I just don't know if there would be any glass in it. Maybe you would find some inks.

Sent from my iPod touch using TreasureNet

OP
OP
Rob (B.C.)

Rob (B.C.)

Apr 14, 2009
How obvious is it when you hit a glass bottle? Sorry for the dumb question, but I never did it. I have successfully locate and dug a privy and got bottles but never randomly probed for them. Also how likely is it that a small one room stone school building from the late 1800s would have a privy near it? Also may be a dumb question, but I wasn't sure if it was common practice or they would use the one near the house. I have access to a property that had a school house somewhere on it and haven't found it yet. Thanks in advance for help.

I'm pretty new to this random probing, but I caught on pretty fast and I'm finding bottles at sites that I've detected many times and never realized i was stepping right over bottles.....You can clearly "feel" cans and bits of glass in the ground with the probe....Whole bottles are pretty unmistakable.

I suspect your old school site wouls have been a bit more "civilized" than these old mining cabin sites and garbage would have been taken care of in an organized way....Besides, I'm not sure how much glass would ever go to school??

I sure would love to find a pit of garbage at one of these old sites, but so far everything seems to be just randomly tossed around the site.

treasurehunter313

Apr 29, 2014
PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay thanks to you both I am currently up at school right now, but when I go home next I'm going to grab the probe and try it out

PikesPeakCharlie

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2008
Pikes Peak
Detector(s) used
Garrett Gti 2500, Garrett Gta 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer -- Whites IDX Pro, AutoMax V2 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would try to find the privy at the school. You never know when a teacher might have been taking a snort. There could also be some bitters bottles as well.

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread