What's new

Back-to-back hunts

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Joined
Oct 18, 2014
Messages
1,118
Reaction score
1,914
Golden Thread
0
Location
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Everyone,

Earlier this week I went out for two back-to-back hunts, and just got around to cleaning up my finds now. The first one was a detecting hunt at a new house site, waaay out of town. There was a very large intact cellar hole. There were garden lilies and lilacs growing everywhere. JGAS I DIDN'T FIND THE PRIVY, but then maybe I didn't spend enough time probing, and it was only my first time there. I will return though! Man, I've got two or three great sites with huge privy potential, so I've gotta stop procrastinating and get 'er done. Anyway, the archaeology at this new place was pretty messed up, lots of scrap metal, lots of stuff moved around. I did find some nice shards, like this beautiful amber applied top. I found some lantern parts, an old pocket knife, and a suspender buckle. My favourite find was this beautiful round object, probably a bridle rosette, with a chain pattern around it. It's all cracked up and crumbling on the back like some of those Civil War plates you see, like old pewter or lead or whatever, and maybe plated with silver? It certainly looks like silver. I think it's the oldest find that I brought home. I also found a Canadian 1882H penny, the only coin from this hunt. On the way home I stopped by the cemetery to pay my respects to the man of the house, and also some War of 1812 veterans.

The next day I went back to the ol' insulator graveyard. I've included that picture of all the broken insulators from a previous post, for those who haven't seen it - unfortunately I didn't have a camera with me this time. Anyway, I was digging for about half an hour without success but finally got this little blown amethyst extract from Toronto. Sure enough, I got into a little pocket of intact stuff. I got a few little trinkets, like an "Ever-Ready" shaving razor, a makeup compact that I haven't got open yet that contains a gold coin, a super tiny salt shaker, and a marble. I got a larger shaker of some sort, a food jar with many sides, a "Reliable Doll" bottle for a toy doll, a bunch of beautiful blown vials (I love these things), and a great soda. This "Jersey-Creme Company" soda from Toronto is emerald green, 12-sided, and holds 7 ounces. I could only find one image of a clear variant, and one image of a green quart. Any Canadian collectors on here know anything about this bottle? 'Looks like it's from around 1930. I also found some intact insulators! But the most interesting surprise from the dirt was what might be my second Native American adze or celt! I'm going to check with the guys over in the other forum to see what they think about it.

So that's my two-day haul, nothing crazy, but enough to keep me curious and hungry for more.

Good luck and happy hunting,


N

DSCF4456.webpDSCF4462.webpDSCF4481.webpDSCF4497.webpDSCF4470.webpDSCF4484.webpDSCF3531.webpDSCF4514.webpDSCF4543.webpDSCF4517.webp
 
Last edited:
Awesome haul. I found a suspender clip similar to your's just recently.
 
f9886dc4e277d3eac5af9a9ae2bae2d8.webp

Nice assortment of finds. The green bottle is a keeper for sure.:icon_thumright:
 
Thanks dudes! Here are some more pics of the celt if you're interested, everyone in the Native artifacts forum is saying it's legit, and a pic of the Native artifacts I've found so far. Other than the chert knife/hide scraper, these all look like the same type of stone...

DSCF4520.webpDSCF4522.webpDSCF4555.webp
 
Nice finds and a great place to hunt! :occasion14:
 
Nice Celt! Get that compact open! Good post and thanks for sharing
 
Thank you, Professor, I'm hoping to get out for some digging tomorrow, just gotta look after my little nephew for most of the morning...
 
Thanks Bass! The gold coin was just a joke, but we can all dream, right?
 
Thanks Bass! The gold coin was just a joke, but we can all dream, right?

Can’t tell you how many old compacts I’ve dug and opened hoping for a coin to be in one
 
That applied top just got my mouth watering, wow. Great stuff. Please find the privy for me! Lol. Keep em coming. Jgas.
 
That applied top just got my mouth watering, wow. Great stuff. Please find the privy for me! Lol. Keep em coming. Jgas.

I knoooowww! What a beautiful piece of glass eh? Such a stubby neck, looks a lot like a Saratoga or something similar.
 
Nice work, and congrats on the nice Indian celt! Gotta love the random artifact finds that are many centuries older than the rest of the dump.
 
Nice work, and congrats on the nice Indian celt! Gotta love the random artifact finds that are many centuries older than the rest of the dump.

Thank you! I keep getting lucky with these artifacts. Gotta keep my eyes peeled! I do know that one time when I first started digging, I found an odd smooth long rock, way out of the ordinary, looked like some kind of pounding tool, but I dismissed it and it got buried in my pile. I'm never going to look at stone objects the same way.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom