Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Due to cold weather and snow here in Maryland, I did not get out to detect for a month. I'm sure many of you were in a similar situation.
Today's hunt was something of a first for me, in that I found my first Mexican silver coin and the Buffalo nickel was first mint year, the earliest Buffalo I've found.
While I didn't break the 1900 date barrier, there were four coins that dated 1913 or earlier:

1905 Indian Head cent
1906 20 Centavos (silver) from Mexico
1909 Lincoln Head cent, and a
1913 Buffalo nickel (type 2)

There were also two other wheats: 1936 and 1944.
20Centavos1906.jpgbarrette_silver.jpgBuffalo1913Type2.jpgIHP1905.jpgwheats_09_36_44.jpg

Upvote 10
Nice! The IH looks awesome. It was nice to get out!

Great hunt!!

We're further up north in Maryland, we've been chopping frozen ground all month. Lol Soooooo good to finally see this snow melting.GL/HH

Agreed! This was the first Indian I've taken from Riverside that was NOT damaged in some way.

Last edited:
Thanks! Wonder when the Stealth Diggers will ever get back at it.

Hi McCDig , that IHP is in very nice shape. But love the 20 centavos and the crossed arrows item, were they found near each other by chance ?

Very Nice Job!! Those are some really nice Baltimore treasures! :headbang:

I know the sand has been frozen also, and finally was able to get in to the water Sunday, between the icebergs..

All looks great coming weeks!! Good Luck!

Riverside? I thought that buff looked like it came from the water..?

Only as close as being on the east side of the park, but about 70 feet separated. Found the centavos early in the day and the silver barrette later in the afternoon.

Thanks OBN. Soil there is rough on coins. Your water hunting shows real dedication.

I'm not sure if you would call it dedication, but like you after a month it's more deprivation from everything been locked up...Look forwards to more Baltimore treasures..

You should come down to the MARS metal detecting meetings and show those treasures...I'm sure they would enjoy them.

Very nice finds... good assortment of early coins. Congrats. GL&HH!

Nice stuff for sure,,

But that 20 Centavo with the 4 holes really got my attention.
It would appear,,to me anyway,, that this item was part of a Concha belt maybe.

I would head back if possible and try to find the rest of the belt..
ALMOST I would put a paycheck on that coin is part of a larger piece of worn jewelry.

Just what I see

Hit

Not familiar with "Concha belt", though the four holes is a puzzle. I'll re-check the area and let you know if anything else turns up.

It developed into a "one of" hunt as the day went on. Spent a half hour looking for someone's wedding ring but turned up empty, so will check again on next visit.

Ive seen coins with 4 holes like that - but in my case - not a belt but an earring - one big coin with 3 small coins hanging off of it (and a hook)

Nice finds for Baltimore. I went out also on monday for the first time. Picked a bunch of modern. But it was wonderful.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back