Back to the Civil War Camp 22 Bullets, 4 Buttons, and more.

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Went back to the Union camp area this morning and had a pretty good day8-), despite driving 1.5hrs to get stood up.
Ended up with 22 bullets, 4 buttons, 8 Percussion caps, and 3 tent/poncho Grommets. (Broke my record on Minnie balls today):tongue3:
Still no buckle/breastplate, but had a blast digging a lot of deep faint tones with the XP Deus using 12Khz.
Sometimes the deep faint tones tend to be shallow tiny pieces of trash, but not today. They were mostly all bullets and buttons.
Ended up with 2 complete General Service 2 piece buttons, one round button missing the shank, and one unidentifiable button front.
I know ive seen these round buttons before, it kind of looks like a small acorn. (any help on id appreciated):icon_scratch:
The other button is a bit crusty, tried to clean a little, but so far all I can make out is a p on the bottom.:icon_scratch:

Attachments

• DSC02996.JPG
    DSC02996.JPG
    163.5 KB · Views: 144
  • DSC03000.JPG
    DSC03000.JPG
    191.4 KB · Views: 132
  • DSC03008.JPG
    DSC03008.JPG
    275.8 KB · Views: 134
  • DSC03003.JPG
    DSC03003.JPG
    378.3 KB · Views: 133
  • DSC03004.JPG
    DSC03004.JPG
    319.8 KB · Views: 125
  • DSC03005.JPG
    DSC03005.JPG
    278.7 KB · Views: 121
Upvote 13
OP
OP
bonepicker

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey man, you did great. I can't imagine how cool it would be to find a civil war relic, and you found a bunch!

You mentioned the 12kh finding shallow bits of foil, yet sound like possible good deep targets. I have found this to be frustrating, I dug a lot of shallow foil today. I guess I can deal with it knowing that the Deus in 12kh/full tones will outperform all my other machines.
Thanks J. Cache. I used to be a coin guy, but at the beginning of this year I started finding some old flat buttons and stuff and have really been enjoying the relics.
Lately I would rather be relic hunting than coin-shooting.
Yeah normally when im looking for coins I hunt in 8K or 4K to avoid the tiny trash. Most of my sites aren't real old, but they are super trashy.
If they were older I would consider a higher frequency in hopes of getting a trime, half-dime, or worn 1/2 reale, but those sites are rare.
Because a lot of my sites are trashy I have noticed I will hit a tiny piece of trash and the machine will say its deep in 12K. I end up digging a deep plug only to find out its a tiny piece of trash 1/2" deep.
To avoid digging some of that tiny trash I have been using the lower frequencies.
Luckily at this particular area that I found most of my Minnie balls and buttons wasn't very trashy, so in 12K the deep faint tones were indeed actually deep good targets.
The time before last that I went to that site I was actually forced to run 12K, because there was 2 other machines hunting with me and one of them was giving hella interference while I was in 4K and 8K.
I actually made some interesting finds that day, so decided to give 12K another shot, and it worked out well.

Last edited:

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks J. Cache. I used to be a coin guy, but at the beginning of this year I started finding some old flat buttons and stuff and have really been enjoying the relics.
Lately I would rather be relic hunting than coin-shooting.
Yeah normally when im looking for coins I hunt in 8K or 4K to avoid the tiny trash. Most of my sites aren't real old, but they are super trashy.
If they were older I would consider a higher frequency in hopes of getting a trime, half-dime, or worn 1/2 reale, but those sites are rare.
Because a lot of my sites are trashy I have noticed I will hit a tiny piece of trash and the machine will say its deep in 12K. I end up digging a deep plug only to find out its a tiny piece of trash 1/2" deep.
To avoid digging some of that tiny trash I have been using the lower frequencies.
Luckily at this particular area that I found most of my Minnie balls and buttons wasn't very trashy, so in 12K the deep faint tones were indeed actually deep good targets.
The time before last that I went to that site I was actually forced to run 12K, because there was 2 other machines hunting with me and one of them was giving hella interference while I was in 4K and 8K.
I actually made some interesting finds that day, so decided to give 12K another shot, and it worked out well.

I have been really liking the relics this year as well, although I would consider myself to be a coin guy for sure. I think I'd enjoy relic hunting more in an area that has more history, especially like the civil war and colonial sites that the guys out east and south have. My all time fav relic is the crossed rifles Indian Wars era hat badge. Things like that don't often pop up around here.

I find the Deus in 12kh does find more shallow bits of trash, but it really finds the hidden, deep, and masked coins. After digging a few crap targets sometimes, I'll dig a nice deep silver that wouldn't have been detectable in a different setting--it makes the occasional trash no big deal. I also find that the 12kh hits hard on relic type objects.

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been really liking the relics this year as well, although I would consider myself to be a coin guy for sure. I think I'd enjoy relic hunting more in an area that has more history, especially like the civil war and colonial sites that the guys out east and south have. My all time fav relic is the crossed rifles Indian Wars era hat badge. Things like that don't often pop up around here.

I find the Deus in 12kh does find more shallow bits of trash, but it really finds the hidden, deep, and masked coins. After digging a few crap targets sometimes, I'll dig a nice deep silver that wouldn't have been detectable in a different setting--it makes the occasional trash no big deal. I also find that the 12kh hits hard on relic type objects.

Just to piggy back on this, I almost always run in 12 kh, that small stuff you guys are saying. If you listen you will be able to tell that its small. Wiggle it back and front. Pick the coil up a little, You will be able to tell.
When I go to any site, the first thing I start with, (FOR ME,AND MY SITES)
11.7 kh
disc 0, full tones
Sense 93, tx 2
Reactivity 3, silencer 0
Audio 5, headphones 6 (very important)
GB set 2 to 3 lower then shows.
Always remember, if you pump to GB, make sure your disc is set at 0 or you will not know if there is iron under your coil. Simple thing, but you have no idea how many guys tell me they cant pump GB. First thing I ask is were is your disc set at?
If you have any disc on, you dont know if your on clean ground!!!!! Lol

Oh By the way fantastic hunt!!
Would love to find some lead like that!!!!
George

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good grief, I don't know why I was saying I'm in 12 kHz....I run full tones at 8khz. Duh!

I will try the wiggle, I've been coming home with pockets full of foil, it's annoying. Thanks for the info.

As for GB, I use tracking. Do you think pumping is better?

I'm always in 0.0 disc.

Sorry to hijack this thread into a Deus tuning lesson haha!

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a very nice pile of lead to dig in one day .

OP
OP
bonepicker

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the pile of nice CW relics.
Thanks Metallev. I noticed you had a really great sifting hunt recently and we found some of the same buttons.. Gona have to try that one day..

Just to piggy back on this, I almost always run in 12 kh, that small stuff you guys are saying. If you listen you will be able to tell that its small. Wiggle it back and front. Pick the coil up a little, You will be able to tell.
When I go to any site, the first thing I start with, (FOR ME,AND MY SITES)
11.7 kh
disc 0, full tones
Sense 93, tx 2
Reactivity 3, silencer 0
Audio 5, headphones 6 (very important)
GB set 2 to 3 lower then shows.
Always remember, if you pump to GB, make sure your disc is set at 0 or you will not know if there is iron under your coil. Simple thing, but you have no idea how many guys tell me they cant pump GB. First thing I ask is were is your disc set at?
If you have any disc on, you dont know if your on clean ground!!!!! Lol

Oh By the way fantastic hunt!!
Would love to find some lead like that!!!!
George

Thanks for sharing the Settings Vino. Looks like we are using similar settings minus the 12K, but looks like I will be using it more after my last 2 good relic hunts using 12K.
I have been running my headphones on 2, as my hearing is pretty good, but I just did some air-tests with a ruler and a Minnie ball, and I can definitely notice the difference when running the WS4's at 6, (Those faint tones are louder and more distinguishable).
Was hittin minnies with good sound at 12" in the man-cave.
I never had much luck with pumping, but when I used to try it a lot I when I bought my machine I had stock discrim, so that oould have been a reason why.
I use tracking sometimes and manual ground other times. Cross Potent showed me this video, it basically says run GB down as low as possible without getting external noise/feedback

Good grief, I don't know why I was saying I'm in 12 kHz....I run full tones at 8khz. Duh!

I will try the wiggle, I've been coming home with pockets full of foil, it's annoying. Thanks for the info.

I'm always in 0.0 disc.

You aren't Hijacking JC. Im glad were discussing this, and hopefully learning something from one another.
That is a very nice pile of lead to dig in one day .
Thanks 46. Yeah my finds pouch was about to pull my shorts down on the way out.

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I'm always in 0.0 disc.

It gets you a little more from the machine. Get it set then drop it a few points below the said number. Keep a eye on it and adjust accordingly.

coastal_digger

Greenie
Aug 29, 2015
Detector(s) used
Fisher new Gold Bug, Garrett AT Pro, Fisher CZ-5, Tesoro Cortes. Garrett Propointer and Tinytec pinpointers.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds! :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread