Back Yard Sluicing Practical?

Doug6388

Tenderfoot
Apr 23, 2021
Vancouver BC Canada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many sluices are designed for backpackers, light-weight for travel and portable. Is it practical to consider setting up a sluice in your own backyard, using your own electrical power, your own water and operating any TIME you choose. Import your dirt from a creek and avoid permits and licensing. Other than residue created of non-gold bearing soil, can home delivery be an option?

Attachments

• dirt-delivery.jpg
    dirt-delivery.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 45
Upvote 0

mikep691

Aug 6, 2015
Northeastern Sierra's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Barry will likely chime in at some point, but depending where you are located, east or west side of the country, exporting dirt will be an issue. In the east, all the land is private property, so any removal is at the landowner's approval. In the west, BLM or Forest Service managed lands prohibit removal of surface ground. That means mine it for the minerals, then put it back. If you own your land, and have surface and sub-surface mineral rights, you'll still have to deal with local authorities and permitting.

Ohiogoldfever

Oct 15, 2020
Dayton Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it would have to be some damn rich material to justify the costs involved in collecting it, moving it and then moving the processed materials back out. I suppose this is all a matter of volume. If a guys talking about a couple of buckets from your local creek bed then I’d say knock yourself out. The only real pisser is knowing that what you’ve grabbed is anything more than a bucket of rocks and sand. One of the real perks of working on the creek is you can test your spot and move in the blink of an eye. If you buckets barren then all you’ve gotten is a work out.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread