What's new

Backmark Date .. I am not seeing this in my book.

creskol

Gold Member
Joined
Jan 14, 2007
Messages
13,882
Reaction score
23,354
Golden Thread
2
🥇 Banner finds
2
Primary Interest:
Other
Anybody know what it dates to? I am guessing that it's post war, but would like to know a date range. Thanks!
 

Attachments

  • Horstmann.webp
    Horstmann.webp
    29.6 KB · Views: 803
Mackaydon said:

Great! Thanks Don! I was told that there were two with the same backmark info, with the first being circa 1880, but couldn't find it in my book to verify it.
I forgot about the site you linked. Thanks again. :thumbsup:
 
Upvote 0
There are a lot of errors on that website, some of them have been corrected, and its very "in general".


Creskol. Is the front a Great Seal? I have a Great Seal with a similar backmark but notice the dot and star. I also notice yours has 20th century fonts.
 

Attachments

  • great seal horstmann philadelphia resized.webp
    great seal horstmann philadelphia resized.webp
    47.2 KB · Views: 1,233
Upvote 0
My Great Seal button is most likely WWI. Because of the lack of serifs, I would conclude that your button is most likely post war WWI. I hope this helps.
 
Upvote 0
bigcypresshunter said:
There are a lot of errors on that website, some of them have been corrected, and its very "in general".


Creskol. Is the front a Great Seal? I have a Great Seal with a similar backmark but notice the dot and star. I also notice yours has 20th century fonts.

It actually has the Maryland seal on it.
 

Attachments

  • mdbutton:horstmann.webp
    mdbutton:horstmann.webp
    78.2 KB · Views: 472
Upvote 0
bigcypresshunter said:
My Great Seal button is most likely WWI. Because of the lack of serifs, I would conclude that your button is most likely post war WWI. I hope this helps.

I would agree with your conclusion .. Thanks!
 
Upvote 0
creskol said:
bigcypresshunter said:
My Great Seal button is most likely WWI. Because of the lack of serifs, I would conclude that your button is most likely post war WWI. I hope this helps.

I would agree with your conclusion .. Thanks!
I guess it could be WWI. They may have changed fonts during the war.
 
Upvote 0
Creskol what does it say in your book for W.H. HORSTMANN & CO. * PHILA. PA. * ?
 
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I have a WH Horstmann but its a post 1902 Great Seal button. I guess they used up old dies.

Great Seal front WH H.webpGreat Seal WH Horstmann.webp
 
Upvote 0
Hello All! Just started on this thread.... I am searching for particular Great Seal buttons. Any help will be appreciated. Here is my list:

B.B.Abrahams/Philadelphia
S.Appel & Co. (coat size)
E.A.Armstrong
Bernhard & Schrag & Co. (coat size)
Best & Co. NY
Brooks Brothers (any type or size)
Chapsal & Michaul/Paris
Columbia Button Works/Rutherford NJ (with co. name spelled out)
DeMoulin Bros. (coat size)
James C. Doran & Sons/Providence R.I.
Dusenbury & Schwab Inc./New York/229-4th Ave
Fa Ne Di Lorenzo/Firenze
Ford Uniform Co.
Frateli Reanda/Roma
Greenwood Co./Detroit Mich
Jennens & Co. (gilt)
D.Klein & Bros./Philadelphia
Frank J. Krupp/Washington
S&B Lederer Co./Providence R.I.
Lewis MS Co. San Antonio
W&S Lyon Co. NY
W.S.Mangre & Co./San Fransico Calif
McEnany & Scott NY Made in England
SN Meyer/Washington
Publix Theater Corp NY
Reliable Mfg Co./Newark NJ
Alfredo Roensch (applied device)
Josh Starkey (listed in Johnson's book)
State Arsenal/Harrisburg PA
T.W.&W./Paris
Tiffany & Co. (any type or size)
Travis Merchantile Co./San Antonio Tx
Unif Acc Co. (Uniform Accessory Co.)
Walcott Mfg. Co Providence R.I.
Wender & Glodstein Brooklyn NY
J.H.Wilson/Philadelphia
 
Upvote 0
Hello All! Just started on this thread.... I am searching for particular Great Seal buttons. Any help will be appreciated. Here is my list:

B.B.Abrahams/Philadelphia
S.Appel & Co. (coat size)
E.A.Armstrong
Bernhard & Schrag & Co. (coat size)
Best & Co. NY
Brooks Brothers (any type or size)
Chapsal & Michaul/Paris
Columbia Button Works/Rutherford NJ (with co. name spelled out)
DeMoulin Bros. (coat size)
James C. Doran & Sons/Providence R.I.
Dusenbury & Schwab Inc./New York/229-4th Ave
Fa Ne Di Lorenzo/Firenze
Ford Uniform Co.
Frateli Reanda/Roma
Greenwood Co./Detroit Mich
Jennens & Co. (gilt)
D.Klein & Bros./Philadelphia
Frank J. Krupp/Washington
S&B Lederer Co./Providence R.I.
Lewis MS Co. San Antonio
W&S Lyon Co. NY
W.S.Mangre & Co./San Fransico Calif
McEnany & Scott NY Made in England
SN Meyer/Washington
Publix Theater Corp NY
Reliable Mfg Co./Newark NJ
Alfredo Roensch (applied device)
Josh Starkey (listed in Johnson's book)
State Arsenal/Harrisburg PA
T.W.&W./Paris
Tiffany & Co. (any type or size)
Travis Merchantile Co./San Antonio Tx
Unif Acc Co. (Uniform Accessory Co.)
Walcott Mfg. Co Providence R.I.
Wender & Glodstein Brooklyn NY
J.H.Wilson/Philadelphia

Check this link: http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/what/112828-great-seal-button-backmarks-help.html
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom