What's new

Backmark question

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Joined
Mar 5, 2010
Messages
7,742
Reaction score
12,709
Golden Thread
0
Location
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When were the words "Warranted" and "Plated" used on a button back? I am asking this for someone else so I don't have much info. I think it is a 1 piece civilian flower button according to the verbal description.
 
Terms like "treble", "plated", "gilt", "warrented", "best quality" or "standard colour" are back marks considered quality marks. They were common from the late 1790s and for the next 100 years. The quality marks such as "treble gilt", "superior quality", and "orange colour" along with many other variations were designed to give some indication to the buyer that the buttons were of the highest standard, triple gilt plated, and/or of superior quality.

Determining a year, or more reliably, a decade, depends on if it's a one piece or two piece button, the flower design, and possibly the style of shank.
 
Upvote 0
Jim,
Thanks for the information. I will pass it on. The button is a one piece convex but, I think the shank is missing.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom