tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well the expansion of the backyard garden is now underway and in production. The grandson worked hard at busting up this dang near brick hard soil for this subsurface 12'x12' box. We then filled it back up with the same soil mixed well with organic compost. Things now are growing, but the enemy has taken some control especially attacking the sweet peas and green beans. My only gard dog is now 15 yrs and 10 mo. old as her fighting partner had died last June. She just let's these rabbits have their way with it all now. As of now I have radishes for my salad and bok-choy to add in stir-fry. Won't be long and some tomatoes, jalapeño and cilantro will be available.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240611_055635_Studio.jpg
    Screenshot_20240611_055635_Studio.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 27
  • 20240523_103234.jpg
    20240523_103234.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 26
  • 20240604_192247.jpg
    20240604_192247.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 24
  • 20240610_192339.jpg
    20240610_192339.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 21
  • 20240608_071229.jpg
    20240608_071229.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 20
  • 20240528_175417.jpg
    20240528_175417.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 19
  • 20240611_054759.jpg
    20240611_054759.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 19
  • 20240611_054732.jpg
    20240611_054732.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 23
  • 20240611_054641.jpg
    20240611_054641.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 23
  • 20240331_182151.jpg
    20240331_182151.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 23
  • Screenshot_20240601_091254_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240601_091254_Gallery.jpg
    299.7 KB · Views: 23
Congrats.

Planted beans three times one year and left the scrawny rabbit be that kept mowing them down.
I quit planting.
A couple weeks after the last of them had been mowed an owl got the rabbit I believe.

Congrats.

Planted beans three times one year and left the scrawny rabbit be that kept mowing them down.
I quit planting.
A couple weeks after the last of them had been mowed an owl got the rabbit I believe.
The owls will be coming after them later on. They might be busy sitting on their nest right now, because I haven't seen any for about a month now. There's lots of great horned owls around here these days. It's a great environment for them with plenty of bunnies around.

Great pics! He's moving some serious dirt
Dirt, scrap-yards, landfills and heavy machinery are his thing along with the complete process of how waste management goes from beginning to end. Last time he was here we drove by a small power generation plant by the big landfill and I explained to him how the methane gas that comes out of the rotting garbage in the ground goes in a big engine and runs the generator. He said like diesel does in simi trucks.

Kids (and dogs, for that matter) don't need much of a reason or encouragement to dig holes. It's what they do for the shear joy of it.

Kids & Dogs... always on the wrong side of a door.
😁

I had a dirt pile like that when I was his age. I've still got all my Tonka trucks from the '50s in the basement (though I don't know why except fond memories--they're in pretty rough shape 😲)

We had some memorable gardens in the past. Some aspects we miss; others we don't miss at all!

Well the expansion of the backyard garden is now underway and in production. The grandson worked hard at busting up this dang near brick hard soil for this subsurface 12'x12' box. We then filled it back up with the same soil mixed well with organic compost. Things now are growing, but the enemy has taken some control especially attacking the sweet peas and green beans. My only gard dog is now 15 yrs and 10 mo. old as her fighting partner had died last June. She just let's these rabbits have their way with it all now. As of now I have radishes for my salad and bok-choy to add in stir-fry. Won't be long and some tomatoes, jalapeño and cilantro will be available.
A+ on the gardening effort!👍🏼 Always nice to have a little helper as well… Tomatoes have done poorly for me thus far, but snap peas and the various fruiting trees I have going are all looking great. Huge difference between gardening in Minnesota and Florida, as to be expected, with plenty of stuff to learn near daily along the way.🫣

I’m not sure this will work in every situation, but if your pup needs a haircut or even a little trimming, take a little of that fur/hair and place around the vegetables the rabbit is getting after… I have used this with some great success over the years, including keeping squirrels, raccoons and when living in Minnesota it helped with deer too. I have some friends who have tried many things and “predator urine” does a great job when others may fail…just don’t spill it!🤢

Good luck with the garden!

The house next door to us was (literally) built in the 1950s by the man who lived there until he passed some years ago. He was in his 80s.

We were friendly, and from what he told me, he always had a garden in his back yard, and from what I observed, he always had a beer in his hand.

I'm thinking I'd really like to detect that back yard for items lost by a slightly tipsy gardener over 50+ years... 🤔

Only two problems:
  1. Current neighbor is almost never home
  2. Current neighbor doesn't believe in lawn maintenance (grass is 12"+ high)

A+ on the gardening effort!👍🏼 Always nice to have a little helper as well… Tomatoes have done poorly for me thus far, but snap peas and the various fruiting trees I have going are all looking great. Huge difference between gardening in Minnesota and Florida, as to be expected, with plenty of stuff to learn near daily along the way.🫣

I’m not sure this will work in every situation, but if your pup needs a haircut or even a little trimming, take a little of that fur/hair and place around the vegetables the rabbit is getting after… I have used this with some great success over the years, including keeping squirrels, raccoons and when living in Minnesota it helped with deer too. I have some friends who have tried many things and “predator urine” does a great job when others may fail…just don’t spill it!🤢

Good luck with the garden!
Thanks, Yeah I don't know. The dog that passed a year ago killed several rabbits in the backyard when he was around. Maybe I'll skin me some come winter. They're now on their second litter of little ones as I saw two little ones out there last night.

Last edited:
The house next door to us was (literally) built in the 1950s by the man who lived there until he passed some years ago. He was in his 80s.

We were friendly, and from what he told me, he always had a garden in his back yard, and from what I observed, he always had a beer in his hand.

I'm thinking I'd really like to detect that back yard for items lost by a slightly tipsy gardener over 50+ years... 🤔

Only two problems:
You never know. My grandpa's house was built like in the 1880s and he found this 18k gold and old mine cut diamond ring digging in his garden in the 1930s. It was during the depression and he could've used the money back then by selling it, but he hung on to it. My mother had it for years and now I do. The ring was made in the 1870s. The condition of the ring is almost as good as the years it was made.

Attachments

• 20240531_075842.jpg
    20240531_075842.jpg
    552.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 20240531_075943.jpg
    20240531_075943.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 10

Only two problems:
Both of our properties were once part of the same farm. I haven't been able to get back to my part--still under water. I was thinking of having it brush-hogged, but I can't justify the cost just to detect a couple of acres. 🙁

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back