What's new

Badge?

Michaelangelo

Sr. Member
Joined
Jun 9, 2009
Messages
455
Reaction score
6
Golden Thread
0
Location
Piedmont N.C.
Found this in my yard last night (actually my wife showed me where she thought there would be "treasures). It is close to an old dump sight where we have found bottles dating back to 1920.
Says "Guilfor College, N.C. Paul Hunter". I knew Paul (he passed away about four years ago). He was active in the fire dept-super nice man. I will show it to his nephew tonight and see if he can shed some light on it but meantime wanted to see if anyone has ever seen a badge like this.
Thanks for looking!!
 

Attachments

  • Picture 017.webp
    Picture 017.webp
    93.9 KB · Views: 316
  • Picture 018.webp
    Picture 018.webp
    69.2 KB · Views: 308
It's a token. You could put what you wanted on them. I've seen them with advertising and phone numbers.

Wolverine.
 
Upvote 0
It's an arcade stamped lucky token. Note the little indentation where you could put it on your key chain. Could be as recent as the 60's.

monicasamlaska.gif


DCMatt
 
Upvote 0
I agree, lucky token, nice find :icon_thumright: :

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://
imgs.inkfrog.com/pix/csc551/Pearl_Dunlap_GL_Token__
1.jpg&imgrefurl=http://cgi.ebay.com/Lucky-Token-Pearl-Dunlap-
WilliamsportPA_W0QQitemZ310200098386QQcmdZView
ItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0%3Fhash%3Ditem48395dde52
&usg=__mhht86YPsvUOgE0qfNzQ7CVru3Q=&h=356&w=362&sz=
46&hl=en&start=430&um=1&itbs=1&tbnid=RHTu0DEFFcWPZM:&
tbnh=119tbnw=121prev=/images%3Fq%3Dcustom%2Baluminum
%2Btokens%26start%3D414%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%
3DN%26ndsp%3D18%26tbs%3Disch:1
 

Attachments

  • Pearl_Dunlap_GL_Token__1.webp
    Pearl_Dunlap_GL_Token__1.webp
    30.3 KB · Views: 307
Upvote 0
Man you guys are good!! Thanks for the super quick ID.
Especially like it since I had the pleasure of knowing Paul.
Now just have to figure how to put the green check on it!!
 
Upvote 0
Update. Ran into Paul's Nephew last night and he told me his daughter lives nearby. He keeps in touch with her so I asked him if he thought she would like to have it as a keepsake. He thought she would love to have it so I gave it to him so he could give to her. Will hear later this week what her reaction was but thought it neat to return something I dug to the daughter of the owner even if it is just a simple token. Hopefully it will brighten her day!!
 
Upvote 0
Heres the arcade machines that used to make these tokens.

These machines have been around since the early 1900's, and you may have seen them at amusement parks, tourist stops, train and bus stations, etc. The customer inserts a coin and then embosses the token with his name or some other inscription. This is done one letter at a time, using a dial or pointer to select the letter and then pulling a lever to press it onto the token. Many of the token blanks or planchets had cut-outs around the center: star, four-leaf clover, etc.; others had pre-embossed solid centers like this one. (quote PBK).
arcade good luck token.gif arcade stamped lucky tokens.webp
 

Attachments

  • arcade stamped lucky tokens.webp
    arcade stamped lucky tokens.webp
    40.2 KB · Views: 218
  • arcade good luck token.gif
    arcade good luck token.gif
    14 KB · Views: 301
  • LPM-1.webp
    LPM-1.webp
    3.5 KB · Views: 304
  • LPM-2.webp
    LPM-2.webp
    3.6 KB · Views: 284
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom