What's new

Bag of pennies from 08-17-2007

GMan00001

Silver Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2006
Messages
2,539
Reaction score
228
Golden Thread
0
Location
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On my way home from the airport after my trip to Vegas I had stopped at one branch hoping they had a bag of dimes, but all they had was 1 - $50 bag of pennies so I took it. And tonight I searched it.

Did okay, but not great.

13 wheat pennies (1926, 1934-D(2), 1944, 1944-D, 1946-D(2), 1948-D(2), 1955-D(2), 1956-D, 1957-D)

26 Canadian (1949, 1959, 1962, 1963, 1966, 1970, 1974(2), 1977, 1978, 1981(4), 1982(2), 1984(2), 1986, 1987(2), 1989, 1993, 1997, 1998, 2000)
 
Upvote 0
That does sound a bit lean for a $50 bag from what I've seen.
How much is in a bag of dimes and what do you average for silver in bags vs boxes?
 
TXTim said:
That does sound a bit lean for a $50 bag from what I've seen.
How much is in a bag of dimes and what do you average for silver in bags vs boxes?

I get two different sizes for bags of dimes $500 and $1000. It just depends on the bank.

Boxes: (all numbers are per box or $250 worth)
0.027 Mercury dimes
0.659 silver Roosevelts
0.082 Foreign coins
1.236 Canadian dimes
0.055 Silver Canadian dimes

Bags: (all numbers are per box or $250 worth)
0.080 Mercury dimes
1.378 silver Roosevelts
0.739 Foreign coins
4.354 Canadian dimes
0.140 Silver Canadian dimes

Note that some banks are better for boxes than others, at least in my sample size.
 
Looks like bags are far better than bags.
Thanks for that Gman!
I think I'll find a bag or two to go through.
 
TXTim said:
Looks like bags are far better than bags.
Thanks for that Gman!
I think I'll find a bag or two to go through.

Bags are just boxes without the wrappers and boxes. Essentially if you can find the right area, bags will definitely be better as some areas are better than others. With boxes you never know where they originated whether its a rather picked over area or a good area.

Also note that the boxes from one bank were better on average than the bags, while boxes from a different bank were far worse. Just have to do trial and error in your area to see what works best for you.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom