What's new

Balance scale?Nope, Trace Chain T

Breezie

Gold Member
Joined
Oct 3, 2009
Messages
6,278
Reaction score
2,120
Golden Thread
1
Location
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Gang, I was able to MD about an hour this afternoon in the yard that produced an array of items from the 1600's spectacle buckle to buffalo nickles. I found this iron piece which resembles some part of a balancing scale. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance, Breezie
 

Attachments

  • Unknown1.webp
    Unknown1.webp
    33.2 KB · Views: 391
  • Unknown3.webp
    Unknown3.webp
    55.7 KB · Views: 377
  • Unknown2.webp
    Unknown2.webp
    34.6 KB · Views: 370
Re: Balance scale?

It almost looks like the closing link for a set of tractor tire chains.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Balance scale?

creskol said:
It almost looks like the closing link for a set of tractor tire chains.

Creskol, I don't have a clue what that looks like, and will have to google it. Would it be as small as 3 inches? Thanks, Breezie
 
Upvote 0
Re: Balance scale?

Breezie I think those are called Trace chains :icon_scratch:We have found them in pre C.W sites :thumbsup:
 
Upvote 0
Re: Balance scale?

Middle link is machine stamped. That = 20th century.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Balance scale?

kuger said:
Breezie I think those are called Trace chains :icon_scratch:We have found them in pre C.W sites :thumbsup:

Kuger, on what would you use a 3 inch trace chain? Breezie
 
Upvote 0
Re: Balance scale?

Lucas said:
Middle link is machine stamped. That = 20th century.

Lucas, how can you tell? :dontknow:
 
Upvote 0
Re: Balance scale?

Here is a set of newer chains .. I was thinking it is the same piece as the arrow points to, only off a much OLDER set of chains.
Not sure on that, but that is what it reminds me off.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0263_1.webp
    IMG_0263_1.webp
    137.5 KB · Views: 353
Upvote 0
Re: Balance scale?

Breezie,that I can not answer,but I have dug very small ones :icon_scratch:


Lucas,just for clarification......you are not saying they didnt machine stamp metal during the 19th century are you?Here is a early 1850s whale oil lamp chain that is stamped
 

Attachments

  • chain.webp
    chain.webp
    14.5 KB · Views: 347
Upvote 0
Re: Balance scale?

After studying it a little more, I do believe it is some type of trace chain. There is a half link of the chain still attached, and it is very soft and bendable, whereas, the other iron areas are extremely strong. Do you think we can date it? Thanks to all for the help, Breezie
 

Attachments

  • Unknown4.webp
    Unknown4.webp
    32.7 KB · Views: 317
Upvote 0
Re: Balance scale?

Trace chain, chain tie, cow tie,...
 

Attachments

  • cow ties.webp
    cow ties.webp
    24.1 KB · Views: 445
  • chain ties.webp
    chain ties.webp
    19.9 KB · Views: 351
  • chain ties.webp
    chain ties.webp
    19.9 KB · Views: 327
  • cow ties.webp
    cow ties.webp
    24.1 KB · Views: 329
Upvote 0
Re: Balance scale?

As usual awesome visual aids,Big Cy!!
 
Upvote 0
Re: Balance scale?

:hello:

Breezie.....on the T piece of your find :P is there more wear on one side :dontknow:

SS
 
Upvote 0
Re: Balance scale?

Silver Searcher said:
:hello:

Breezie.....on the T piece of your find :P is there more wear on one side :dontknow:

SS

Creskol, I appreciate the pic. Actually I never thought about tractor tires using chains.

BCH, thanks for the visual aids, and as Kuger said, always nice post of photos.

SS, thanks for the interest. No, the wear is basically equal.

So is the general consensus 1860-s-1880s or newer? The connection to the T has an old look to me.

Breezie
 
Upvote 0
Re: Balance scale?

The cow tie picture is old 1800's. I think my other pic is new.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Balance scale?

:read2:

I think we can rule out tyre chains :P as far as I'm awear they are made from a non ferrous steel :icon_scratch:

SS
 
Upvote 0
Re: Balance scale?

Silver Searcher said:
:read2:

I think we can rule out tyre chains :P as far as I'm awear they are made from a non ferrous steel :icon_scratch:

SS

What are they made out of?

All steel is ferrous. The word "ferrous" means "iron." All steel contains iron. All steels also contain impurities which improve various useful properties of iron, such as strength. There is high carbon steel, or steel with chromium or other elements that improve abrasion resistance or reduce rusting (stainless steel). There are some non magnetic steels, but because they contain iron they are still ferrous.
It is a ferrous alloy, which means it is a mix of two or more metals, In steel this is iron and carbon.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Balance scale?

creskol said:
Silver Searcher said:
:read2:

I think we can rule out tyre chains :P as far as I'm awear they are made from a non ferrous steel :icon_scratch:

SS

What are they made out of?
Don't know about the US, but in the UK they are made from stainless steel, can't see the point of making them from materialls that would just rust :icon_scratch:

SS
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom