What's new

Balandra 1733 fleet

Blak bart

Platinum Member
Joined
Jun 6, 2016
Messages
20,197
Reaction score
107,777
Golden Thread
5
Location
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
5
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Huh....appears that I have found the bottom of this previously undiscovered site !! The little balandra was the smallest ship in the fleet, and after the hurricane she was dismasted and aground or at anchor between 2 keys. This small sailing ship was bound for st. Augustine with supplies for the Spanish fort. There were 256 barrels of flour on board, and this flour was a critical part in the survival of the stranded shipwreck survivors. The Spanish stripped the shipwreck of wood to build a fort at the "whale harbor site" with 4 cannons to protect the treasure and water source located at the main salvage camp. After this small narrative about this little ship the story goes dark, and I can only assume it was burned to the waterline and left to disappear under the sand.

So it seems it was deemed 100% salvaged and there was no modern interest to find this ships remains. There was a general idea of where it should be in the old YouTube Don Ferguson videos. I looked there for any signs of it in the general area several times over the last few years and never saw a sign of it. But as my interest peeked....I noticed the part in the narrative about it being "between 2 keys"....this would indicate that it was actually pretty far inshore from where it was originally thought to rest. It is utterly insane to think that this boat has been hidden under the sand in one of the most obvious spots in all the keys.....it started to show bits and pieces slowly as erosion took place about 4 years ago. And now during king tides and strong winter currents more and more is showing .... so far anyone who has seen parts of it hasn't figured out its significance and for the most part no one has realized what it is. I have a large timber from it that broke free and washed ashore for analysis. The timber has the typical mix of trenils, iron fasteners and a few bronze fasteners. Of coarse im not 100% sure of this find, but it certainly looks right and is in the spot described in the narrative. So....what now ?? Can't really do anything with it, but will alert Corey Malcom and see if there is any interest in the timber to examine and test....either way whether there is interest or not....I know where this boat is, and almost always there's a coin or 2 around these sites....obviously im at the mercy of mother nature as far as finding anything because your never going to be able to dig this unless the state wants too. There should be 6 feet of boat with ballast and bottom under the sand here.....probably be an incredible dig for the archeologist!! Anyway thats my latest and greatest.....these things take time for the dots to connect, and then all of a sudden there is the realization of exactly what you've found, and its importance !! Cool discovery for me even if no one wants the proof or cares.....I feel good in the fact that I know what it is !!
 
Last edited:
20240606_080119(1).webp
20240606_080119.webp
 
I imagine if I moved to Marathon when I had the chance in 1991, we’d be tearing up the Keys together….
Another life I guess.
Great research and good luck with all of your endeavors my friend!
 
What's amazing out of all of this, some bits of timber manage to survive in such a hostile environment.

Here, in the Pacific, coral reefs act as a cheese grater, shredding parts of wrecks into tiny pieces..

Crow
 
I imagine if I moved to Marathon when I had the chance in 1991, we’d be tearing up the Keys together….
Another life I guess.
Great research and good luck with all of your endeavors my friend!
Yup...im pretty sure too....I shoulda come up to the west coast when you were down here !!
 
What's amazing out of all of this, some bits of timber manage to survive in such a hostile environment.

Here, in the Pacific, coral reefs act as a cheese grater, shredding parts of wrecks into tiny pieces..

Crow
It really is amazing....I still haven't figured out how some things that should survive are sometimes gone or badly degraded, and then some things that should be rotten or degraded are often times preserved??? This one was covered deep in sand with little oxygen for along time....then eroded out of a grass and sand flat....at low tide this sand bank is sometimes dry !! I think ill use an aluminum rod probe, and see what i can feel under the sand....possibly mark out some mental boundaries of how much is under the sand....I would love to here the clink of ballast, or feel some more wood !! The deep chanel has migrated and meandered to the point of exposing some timbers which then eventually wash ashore....this wood had several other trennals that broke off rolling around in the sand.
 
Best of luck recovering a bunch more Bart.
I'd love to prove it out, and I'd like to at least see some credit some day for locating it wether anything ever comes out of it. ?? It'll take much more than the timber to prove it out, but...radio carbon dating, the fasteners, and treenails could really help date it !!
 
I'd love to prove it out, and I'd like to at least see some credit some day for locating it wether anything ever comes out of it. ?? It'll take much more than the timber to prove it out, but...radio carbon dating, the fasteners, and treenails could really help date it !!
Its hard task and often a thankless one. If you can find artifacts with in remaining hull might also help. Like pottery. Even sailors' pipes and everyday artifacts, each one can help pinpoint a date. And cargo that might be found on the cargo manifest might also help. Glassware and pottery can all help. Each artifact has to be recorded in the context of the shipwreck. Sometimes, areas that have many different era shipwrecks in the same area can contaminate finds.

This is where you put archeologist hat on. At least build a case for being the vessel you suspect.

Crow
 
Huh....appears that I have found the bottom of this previously undiscovered site !! The little balandra was the smallest ship in the fleet, and after the hurricane she was dismasted and aground or at anchor between 2 keys. This small sailing ship was bound for st. Augustine with supplies for the Spanish fort. There were 256 barrels of flour on board, and this flour was a critical part in the survival of the stranded shipwreck survivors. The Spanish stripped the shipwreck of wood to build a fort at the "whale harbor site" with 4 cannons to protect the treasure and water source located at the main salvage camp. After this small narrative about this little ship the story goes dark, and I can only assume it was burned to the waterline and left to disappear under the sand.

So it seems it was deemed 100% salvaged and there was no modern interest to find this ships remains. There was a general idea of where it should be in the old YouTube Don Ferguson videos. I looked there for any signs of it in the general area several times over the last few years and never saw a sign of it. But as my interest peeked....I noticed the part in the narrative about it being "between 2 keys"....this would indicate that it was actually pretty far inshore from where it was originally thought to rest. It is utterly insane to think that this boat has been hidden under the sand in one of the most obvious spots in all the keys.....it started to show bits and pieces slowly as erosion took place about 4 years ago. And now during king tides and strong winter currents more and more is showing .... so far anyone who has seen parts of it hasn't figured out its significance and for the most part no one has realized what it is. I have a large timber from it that broke free and washed ashore for analysis. The timber has the typical mix of trenils, iron fasteners and a few bronze fasteners. Of coarse im not 100% sure of this find, but it certainly looks right and is in the spot described in the narrative. So....what now ?? Can't really do anything with it, but will alert Corey Malcom and see if there is any interest in the timber to examine and test....either way whether there is interest or not....I know where this boat is, and almost always there's a coin or 2 around these sites....obviously im at the mercy of mother nature as far as finding anything because your never going to be able to dig this unless the state wants too. There should be 6 feet of boat with ballast and bottom under the sand here.....probably be an incredible dig for the archeologist!! Anyway thats my latest and greatest.....these things take time for the dots to connect, and then all of a sudden there is the realization of exactly what you've found, and its importance !! Cool discovery for me even if no one wants the proof or cares.....I feel good in the fact that I know what it is !!
Remember years ago (old Google Earth imagery) seeing a wreck exposed underwater between 2 of the Keys on the south side. Some Spanish ships were supposed to have wrecked in this area. Would not be your shipwreck discovery but because it was still there means, another undiscovered wreck just waiting to be found. It was in 2 parts which one has a very intact looking shape. No longer visible in any satellite images I have checked.
 
Ship was small but seems to of had, a key function in the fleet...

🌊 What the “balandra” was
A balandra was a small, single‑masted coastal vessel — essentially a light utility craft used for supply runs, dispatches, and short‑range transport. In the 1733 fleet, it was the smallest ship recorded. After the hurricane struck the convoy in the Florida Keys, the balandra was found dismasted and aground or anchored between two keys, having been blown off course and crippled by the storm.

Its mission was modest but important: it was bound for St. Augustine, carrying supplies for the Spanish fort there. That detail alone hints at how the fleet wasn’t just treasure galleons — it was an entire logistical ecosystem, from warships to tiny workhorses like this one.
 
Ship was small but seems to of had, a key function in the fleet...

🌊 What the “balandra” was
A balandra was a small, single‑masted coastal vessel — essentially a light utility craft used for supply runs, dispatches, and short‑range transport. In the 1733 fleet, it was the smallest ship recorded. After the hurricane struck the convoy in the Florida Keys, the balandra was found dismasted and aground or anchored between two keys, having been blown off course and crippled by the storm.

Its mission was modest but important: it was bound for St. Augustine, carrying supplies for the Spanish fort there. That detail alone hints at how the fleet wasn’t just treasure galleons — it was an entire logistical ecosystem, from warships to tiny workhorses like this one.
Yes red....yes !! This little ship became the entire life line for the system of survivor/salvor camps in the keys after the 1733 disaster. The small balandra was carrying something more precious than gold and silver too the survivors.....256 barrels of flour, and intact butts of water !! This flour was quickly distributed amongst the survivors and was a major contributor to saving lives. The little ship was then stripped of its super structures, and the wood was brought ashore, and set up in a defensive berm with 4 cannon that protected one of the only reliable springs in the keys. This spring is still on site and millions of tourists speed by it every year, oblivious to the history they drive by. So this spring, and the fort built from the timbers of the "balandra" made up the main salvage camp for the recovery operation of the 1733 fleet.....much treasure (millions of pesos) were brought ashore here, washed, repacked, and loaded for transport to Havana.

The modern era of treasure hunting ignored the little boat because she was not a major galleon, and was said to be completely salvaged. So it sat with little attention to its final resting place. I started to see the first signs of it 5 years ago....I didn't understand what I was seeing, and assumed it to be jetsom and flotsam that drifted in many years ago....slowly as she revealed herself bit by bit I started to realize there was alot of material here, and that it could be a whole wreck !! Then it became what wreck could it be ?? It became apparent that the most likly canidate is....the balandra 1733....perfectly fitting into the location of discovery. Not a valuable treasure wreck, but critically historical to the treasure fleet story. I feel very close to her now, and the little boat has finally said " hello...look at me Bart 👋 here i am" go tell the world !!
 
On the topic of the 1733 fleet and using Google Earth to search for wrecks. Years ago I spent a lot of time searching the Keys in Google Earth looking for anything odd, like mother nature doesn't like straight lines. Eventually I located my 'sunken ship' , it was off Black Betsy Keys, . It was a year or more before I got down there, and nothing. Natures trick of tides and sands, older and newer views of historical imagery don't show it. Got to admit it was worth the effort. Fun trip anyway and still looking.
1787759827827.webp
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom