Banded Slate Birdstone Pendant & Soapstone Pipe

OntarioArch

Nov 26, 2017
Cayuga County NY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A local Cayuga County NY Old Timer's collection is so large, I see something different each time I visit. Only one wall is pictured here: all four walls, a double faced center isle, and some floor space are used to display artifacts.

Check out the *banded slate birdstone pendant." I have never seen anything like it. About 1.75 inches long, Old Timer remembers exactly where/when he found it. Priceless.

And the pipe, which I guess is a colorful variety of soapstone but I'm not sure, has three hatch marks on each edge; it's about 2 inches long. Flawless. Is it soapstone?

Didn't get good pics of his larger, clay pipes....or his plummets....or his drilled/banded slate pieces. Guess I'll have to go back soon

Attachments

• bird pendant.jpg
    bird pendant.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 113
  • stone pipe.jpg
    stone pipe.jpg
    251.8 KB · Views: 105
  • wall.jpg
    wall.jpg
    222.4 KB · Views: 116
Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice, a lot of time in collecting.

OP
OP
OntarioArch

OntarioArch

Nov 26, 2017
Cayuga County NY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A local Cayuga County NY Old Timer's collection is so large, I see something different each time I visit. Only one wall is pictured here: all four walls, a double faced center isle, and some floor space are used to display artifacts.

Check out the *banded slate birdstone pendant." I have never seen anything like it. About 1.75 inches long, Old Timer remembers exactly where/when he found it. Priceless.

And the pipe, which I guess is a colorful variety of soapstone but I'm not sure, has three hatch marks on each edge; it's about 2 inches long. Flawless. Is it soapstone?

Didn't get good pics of his larger, clay pipes....or his plummets....or his drilled/banded slate pieces. Guess I'll have to go back soon
I am advised: "The pipe is either chlorite or serpentine. It's the remnant of the platform stem from a Hopewell/Owasco platform pipe. The bowl was damaged, and looks to be redone, and polished."

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions