Bank Machine Left Overs

CRHQueen

Jun 20, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have heard some people on here say they find silver (or even sometimes gold) in coinstar machines or the machines in the banks from the reject tray? Is this allowed? Would it be considered theft?

Most importantly, what about if we take coins from the trash cans placed near the machines? Is this allowed? Would a bank have a security camera on the trash and be upset if we reached in and took the change or other items from it? Has anyone done this before?

Upvote 0

jarlbartar

Jan 3, 2012
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always check the trash and have found all sorts of good stuff, more often than not its just trash. I suppose the worst they could do is tell you to get out of the trash.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey, you were helping clean aroun the coin machine, right? :)
hh
buff

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have heard some people on here say they find silver (or even sometimes gold) in coinstar machines or the machines in the banks from the reject tray? Is this allowed? Would it be considered theft?

Most importantly, what about if we take coins from the trash cans placed near the machines? Is this allowed? Would a bank have a security camera on the trash and be upset if we reached in and took the change or other items from it? Has anyone done this before?

It is absolutely, without-a-doubt theft. Now, will the bank mind the theft? Probably not, but why not do the right thing and ask permission?

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
It is trash. Trash is there for a reason. If the bank wanted it, it wouldn't be in the trash.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The taking of anything that does not belong to you without permission is technically theft. Here are a few examples:

Several years ago my mother worked as a manager of a beauty supply company. After a certain length of time unsold items would hit the clearance bin at 50% off the original price. After a week or so it would go to 60%, then 70%, all the way to 90%. If it didn't sell at 90% off, company policy dictated that it MUST be thrown into the trash. Employees were not allowed to keep the item nor give it away. It had to be thrown into the trash. To top it off, if anyone was caught going through the dumpster, the police were to be called immediately.

Metal detecting finds legally belong to the landowner - not the detectorist.

If you happen to be walking past my house and notice a $100 bill lying in my yard, you do not have the right to claim it as yours.

Now, will a bank prosecute or even reprimand you for going through a trash can to retrieve a coin? So long as you do not make a mess, most likely they won't. I still contend though that the correct thing to do is to seek permission rather than just taking it.

tallguybry

Jan 12, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Other
I check the Coinstar machine every time I walk past one.

H$H!!
TGB

cuttybce

Feb 16, 2010
Western PA
I know that a variety of opinions exist on this topic. I'm not sure if there's a right answer, but I check the Coinstar every time. Maybe I'm wrong, but it doesn't feel like theft to me the same way as if I found a dime lying on the sidewalk. And I try to be such a positive force in the world by doing good for others without expecting anything in return, so the occasional Coinstar score doesn't trouble me much.

And any bank or store that's going to hassle me for doing it is not worth my business.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread