Bank started charging to dump today

TheProf

Nov 13, 2009
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 70 White's Spectrum Vibra-Probe 580 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have 4 dump banks within 5 miles of me. 3 are the same bank name. That bank started charging 5% fee if you don't have an account. They hate when I come in there I usually dump $400 -500 halves. I heard from a friend yesterday they were going to start charging today. Yesterday I went to a different bank they have with no coin machine and opened an account. I got there and today and they were waiting for me! The mean teller yelled across the counter "You have to pay for your coins to get counted now!" "What if I have an account here?" "Then its free". "Good, because I have an account here!" She was so disappointed. I showed her my account card as soon as I got to the counter. She had nothing to reply to me with. Personally, I don't understand why you wouldn't need a acct open to dump coins, so I knew it was coming sooner or later and $100.00 in an acct is no big deal.

Upvote 0

byrne3

Mar 4, 2011
Consider yourself lucky. Where I am all banks charge a fee to dump in coin machines even if you have an account.

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also had to open accounts to dump my coins. I also had to open a account to have boxes order for me. So now I have 3 checking accounts and 1 saving. I just put in $5 or $10 every couple of weeks then I write a check to get some out. I guess if we want to play we have to pay......Matt

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
byrne3 said:
Consider yourself lucky. Where I am all banks charge a fee to dump in coin machines even if you have an account.
Yup 9.7% here

MentalUnrest

Nov 14, 2010
You are surprised that banks charge you if you do not have an account? Am I alone on this one? I have never heard of a bank NOT charging a fee to non members. I would spread your dumps out also for this reason - Banks can charge you a fee even IF you are a customer. I was told by one of my banks they were starting to charge 2% and I have had an account there for over 6 years. I was dropping 1K every week and I guess they thought that was just too much work for them.

I am not sure there are many members here who would even try dumping coins at a bank they did not have an account at.

kd5txx

Nov 5, 2009
Lexington KY
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
I have used a counter at a bank I am not a member of for 7 months. I dump there every week and no one has said anything about the 7% non member dump fee. I have even told them I don't have an account. LAst week I dumped $800 in halfs and a new teller said minus 7%. I said bull. Told them I have been dumping here for 7 months and noone has charged me yet. I don't have a problem with the charge and will oven an account to get it free, but I object to spring it on me after that time. She let me dump for free. :headbang:

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
havent been charged yet in Los Angeles, the tellers seem more intrigued than anything, just save your rolls from the box open one end, dont crack em, and bring em back intact.

-Bigheed

conpewter

Aug 17, 2010
Illinois
Yeah I had a 5/3rd bank charge me the 5% fee even though I have a checking account with them. That's after I'd already put the coins through the machine, so couldn't just take my coins and leave. Still trying to get that $50 back

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread