Banner day in Richmond, VA

n3tuf

Mar 4, 2008
Glen Mills,PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett ACE 400, Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was invited to hunt with a few of my friends who has permission to hunt properties South of Richmond. It was like hunting in spring with temperatures in the 70's. We arrived at the first field and got into our gear. I started across the field and had gone only about a hundred yards and heard a good signal and dug down about 6 inches and to my surprise found a Louisiana State Seal button. I knew it was going to be a great day. I was hoping for a button but didn't expect one as nice as that in great condition with the shank still intact. I hunted for about an hour and also found a two cent piece from 1866. We then moved to another field were I found a Cavalry button, a silver Trime, seven three ringers, a knapsack hook and other relics. Wow! We have two more days of hunting so we will see how it goes.

Last edited:
Upvote 3

nova treasure

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sounds like a Excellent day, do you have any pics of the relics you can post ?
Good Luck today and hope to see all your great finds.

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A stellar day indeed! :thumbsup: Looking forward to seeing some pictures and your other finds.
Congrats,
MM

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1.gif

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds awesome , Yous a lucky guy , hope the rain does not damper the rest of your hunt [ oh I see you have an AT pro]
so no water worries there Good /More good luck.
Davers

OP
OP
n3tuf

n3tuf

Mar 4, 2008
Glen Mills,PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How do I add photos?

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice congrats! Hope you find what you seek! HH!

Lcb24kt

Jan 31, 2010
PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75, Blisstool, Whites TDI, Whites MXT all pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How do I add photos?
Congrats Woody! Awesome finds. Can't wait to see what else you find... To add images there is a graphic in the tool bar to insert images when you edit post..

OP
OP
n3tuf

n3tuf

Mar 4, 2008
Glen Mills,PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Photos of the hunt
WoodysSaturdayFinds.JPG Louisiana-CalvalrySM.jpg Woody2dayfindsSM.jpg SharpsHoleSM.JPG AdenaPointSM.jpg WoodsRoundupSM.JPG CutReale17.jpg SundaysFindsSM.jpg

The rest of the story:

December 21, 2013
Place: The Battle of New Market Heights September 29, 1864

Last week a detecting friend of mine Terry, “Delaware Digger” contacted me to ask if I would be interested in joining him on a three day detecting trip to Richmond, VA. He said a friend of his had invited him and another friend down to do some Civil War Relic hunting on private property that he had permission to hunt on. A few days before the hunt Terry's friend could not go so he called me. I told him I would see if I could get off work Monday and clear it with the wife. By Thursday everything was a go and we left early Saturday morning. After meeting up with Terry's friend Chris J. we had a nice buffet breakfast at Shoneys and headed out for the first field to hunt that day. The weather was in the 70's and partly cloudy. Unusual weather for being this close to Christmas. I had participated in two other organized Virginia Civil War hunts but had never found a Civil war button so I was hoping to cross that off my bucket list of detecting finds. We put on our gear and fired up our Minelabs. I was using my Etrac and the others were using the new CTX 3030's. I started out across the field and in about a hundred yards had my first promising signal showing around eight inches deep. I dug down carefully not to damage my find and checking the clump with my Garrett Pinpointer I spotted something round and domed. To my surprise my first find of the day was a beautiful Louisiana State Button in great shape with the shank on the back still intact. I couldn't believe my first find was my wished for Civil war button. After that find I started out again and halfway across the field I heard another signal and found a 1866 two cent piece and then a three cent silver Trime with no date showing. Wow things were looking up. We took some lunch and then headed to the next field to hunt for the afternoon. Our host Chris told us that they had found a lot of buttons and bullets there. We were anxious to get hunting and I felt like I was in a competition hunt. I had only gone a little way and dug up another button but this time it was a Cavalry button with Eagle and letter “C” in the middle. I was so excited I jumped up and started doing my victory dance what looked more like a Philadelphia Mummer's strut with my digger and detector in the air. Chris saw me across the field and knew I had found something good and headed over to see what I had found.. I was really excited now and then I started finding bullets all over the place some dropped and some fired. My bullet count kept climbing with three ringers, Sharps and Enfields coming out of the ground. I looked around and saw my companions were also doing a lot of digging as well. Just before dark we had a round up at Chris's pickup tailgate to see all of our finds to photograph and take video's with commentary. My group of finds were the last to be checked and when the local guy Wes saw my finds he was getting all excited and saying to me when he picked up my first button of the day. “Do you know what this is?” I had thought it was just an Eagle button but after cleaning off some of the mud with some water they saw it was an intact Louisiana State Button. And when they saw my two cent coin they couldn't believe how lucky I had been. Then as he was going thru my other assorted flat buttons and saw a small one and when he Wes got some of the mud off it he says to me “You know this is a coin?” I thought it was a little flat button that I had casually dropped in my finds box. It turned out to be a Silver three cent Trime! I couldn't believe it. They were all saying Woody really cleaned up with that Etrac of his and in honor of the Louisiana State Button I was given the new nickname “Boudreaux from the Bayou”. My banner find of the day! The next day we had a short hunt in the rain and I added another Eagle button and some more bullets and my friend Terry even found a Spanish cut Reale. Also Chris and Wes found two parts to the same Native American Adena point that fitted together perfectly and they were found about 100 yards apart. We thanked our host Chris for being so kind in inviting us down to hunt with him and we headed back North with new metal detecting friends from Virginia and a lot of stories to share with our hunting buddies back home. Terry and I agreed this was the best metal detecting experience of our entire lives. Many thanks to our new friends in Virginia. Chris, Wes and Rob.

nova treasure

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This a Excellent post with a story of your hunt , Great pics of the finds and a Great selection of History saved. The State button and the finding of both pieces of that Adena point and the cut reale are some Awesome finds,their all Great finds. If I could I would vote this a Banner Post, you all done Great and thanks for sharing.

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow what a bunch of fantastic finds. congrats!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions