Bannerstone, beach surface find

deldave

Jul 9, 2013
coastal Delaware
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, ACE 250, pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This surface find was out of my league as a detectorist and beachcomber. When i saw this sitting in the surf on the sand and approached it I was shocked to realize I knew what it was right away. This comes from someone who has never been able to find a complete point of any sort in my 65 yrs of searching ( i was born to search!). It is so symmetrical and the hole is true and centered (it was packed with sand when I found it). I washed it in plain water and now I am going to see about getting it authenticated and appraised.

Attachments

• DSCF0009.JPG
    DSCF0009.JPG
    4.8 MB · Views: 290
  • DSCF0010.JPG
    DSCF0010.JPG
    4.8 MB · Views: 235
  • DSCF0020.JPG
    DSCF0020.JPG
    4.8 MB · Views: 244
  • DSCF0015.JPG
    DSCF0015.JPG
    4.7 MB · Views: 229
Upvote 0
not sure what it is, but it looks cool.

amazing find

Great bannerstone.

Got my vote for banner, that is a first I have seen on here. Really cool find, and please keep us posted in regards to authentication.

That’s an exceptionally nice bannerstone , I have only ever found pieces of them never an intact one. I can’t believe that came from Delaware beach ....hmmm maybe I need a beach weekend, great find thanks for posting
Edit: you have my vote for banner thats one good looking bannerstone!

Last edited:
Never seen one in real life..that I know of..Congrats on an amazing find!!!

That is a survivor from archaic times. Send it to a good authenticator for insurance purposes. Beautiful decorative piece.It seems they were found often in the east. So location makes sense.
Congratulations.

Given its overall rarity, it's rarity of style within the family of bannerstones, and it's remarkable condition, that is as worthy of banner as anything that has appeared in the Native American section of TNet, IMHO...

Special find. If authentic that is a rare and quite valuable piece. You are a lucky guy,congrats!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back