Barber and a Nice Walk

CladMoonRising

Jan 29, 2015
San Jose, CA
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Temps were in the mid-60's yesterday in NCAL so I was happy to just get out and walk. I detected along a path in the woods that connects a semi-historic area with a newer park system.

Path.JPG

I found this nice 1900 Barber quarter right in the middle of the path about 6" down in packed dirt.

BarberFront.JPG BarberBack.JPG

And a few feet off the trail I found this strange silver item. It's about the size of a quarter and the flat piece at the top comes to a sharp point. There's a silver maker's mark on the back but I can't make it out. I can't imagine what this was used for!

ThingFront.JPG ThingBack.JPG

Thanks for looking and good luck out there!

Upvote 11
congrats on the old silver! That odd piece... there are two loops on the bottom of the pic. That may be the top of the piece that hung from a chain. Still no idea what it could be, but maybe some kind of award

Nice finds ! :icon_thumleft:

On the back I can read ___ SILVER / _____ CO. Could you perhaps try to take a clearer picture of the back, focused on the mark itself?

Very nice pieces of silver.

I like the quarter a lot. Well played.

Excellent day out for you, grats, and thanks for sharing. HH ALL

Very nice silver recoveries! :occasion14:

Wow I love silver that's very nice looks old good job

Congratz on some nice silver saves! That Barber looks great!

On the back I can read ___ SILVER / _____ CO. Could you perhaps try to take a clearer picture of the back, focused on the mark itself?

Good eye! That pic is as good as my camera will go but I've looked at it under the loupe and the rest of the mark has been worn off. I've been searching through the online catalogs of silver marks but haven't found a match yet.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back