ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Went to a couple of lakes today to play. No wheat's or gold but a few keepers. Silver chain and silver happy face, sad face ring and a 1895P Barber quarter. A brass signet ring and a bit of newer change. A bunch of trash of course. Two WRA 38 S&W shells and the strange bullet. I took a picture of both ends as I have never seen either the head stamp or a bullet with the end like that. Looks like it was made in 1948 and the armory was HA. The other markings are a triangle and then V146. Haven't researched it yet, just took the pictures.

Do not shoot Danish manufactured 6.5 x55 mm military ammunition in a Swedish Mauser...There have been reports of several Swedish Mauser Rifles being blown up by this ammunition.

Here is the headstamp
V146
4 8
HA

Anybody got a Swedish Mauser they want a bullet for?

Last edited:
Upvote 14
Cool finds, interesting looking barber

You are the master always amazez me how black the silver gets in the water looks like my clad Glad you have so many places to dive. Someday scuba I wanna dive also gotta get my girls off to college 2 more years well I'm afraid I might have to wait till after college Thanks for always sharing your finds. Stay safe scuba!!!!!

Cool finds, interesting looking barber

Barber is toast! Different lakes do different things to Barbers. This one was in sand. I knew it was silver but thought it was a Washington till I got out. If it would have been out further in the weeds it would have had a black crust on it. I found a few silvers in this lake out in the weeds. As soon as you broke the crust off it most the coin would go with it. I put holes in Merc dimes just breaking the crust off them. This one came out clean with no crust. However it is worn completely down. At first I thought the date was 1885.

You are the master always amazez me how black the silver gets in the water looks like my clad Glad you have so many places to dive. Someday scuba I wanna dive also gotta get my girls off to college 2 more years well I'm afraid I might have to wait till after college Thanks for always sharing your finds. Stay safe scuba!!!!!

Michigan has over 11 thousand lakes. I have been in less than 100 of them. Out of all those, there is absolutely no way I could hit every part of every one. The lakes i was in today were in West Bloomfield. I went to the second one only to see if any new deposits were in my accounts. I found the quarter I missed before there.

This is a fantastic state to find old gold and silver. Not many do it. Everybody wants clear warm water. I will settle for murky cold water and be happy with what I can find. Almost time to call it a year for diving. I can wade for a while longer but soon I will have to winterize my boats. Sad time of year.

Your rifle cartridge looks like someone pulled the bullet and reinserted it backwards

Your rifle cartridge looks like someone pulled the bullet and reinserted it backwards

You were 100% correct!! It didn't even occur to me because it wasn't fired. I looked at it with a loupe and thought it was possible, so I took a pair of pliers and pulled the bullet out. All that was inside was water. That is the longest bullet I have ever seen I think in that small of cartridge.

Thanks

1 casper2Z.JPG...MY MAUSER WAS 8MM ..SOLD IT ...AFTER 3 SHOTS YOU NEED SHOULDER REPLACEMENT

Everybody wants clear warm water. I will settle for murky cold water and be happy with what I can find. Almost time to call it a year for diving. I can wade for a while longer...

You always have something interesting to show, that's for sure!

I've always believed that northern divers are more versatile because we are used to cold, currents (anyone who doesn't believe me can try St. Clair River someday) and poor visibility (which is better now thanks to Zebra mussels ��). Going south is like getting into a bathtub.

Scuba, with the amount of silver and gold I keep seeing in your pics, it's a wonder your BCD can get you back to the surface!

You always have something interesting to show, that's for sure!

I've always believed that northern divers are more versatile because we are used to cold, currents (anyone who doesn't believe me can try St. Clair River someday) and poor visibility (which is better now thanks to Zebra mussels οΏ½οΏ½). Going south is like getting into a bathtub.

Scuba, with the amount of silver and gold I keep seeing in your pics, it's a wonder your BCD can get you back to the surface!

Just curious! How close are you to the St. Clair River? I live a mile from it and I am about 2 miles from Sarnia. I used to dive that river weekly but haven't this year. I dove for bottles and the two pound fishing sinkers they use off the seawall. Welcome aboard and thanks.

I live about 3 hours away but my wife is from Sarnia (in-laws still live there) so my wife had taken me on some of the drift dives. On the Canadian side though. One of her favorite dives ever was along that wall. She found a car!

I live about 3 hours away but my wife is from Sarnia (in-laws still live there) so my wife had taken me on some of the drift dives. On the Canadian side though. One of her favorite dives ever was along that wall. She found a car!

I have dove over there a few times. Did you know one side of the Sidney Smith is used as a seawall just south of the grain silo's. It sank in the river in 1972. Awesome she found a car. That is one thing I haven't found yet. I have been on the Fontana, a schooner that sank in 1900 on your side. Lots of great diving around here.

Last time we were there was the Powerboat race weekend. Walking along that wall with the wife and kids, I was contemplating how a person could control that drift enough to work your way along the wall more slowly to detect. I bet a rope tied to the sea wall fence with loops every couple of feet would work. Finish that rope, whatever length it was and move to the next rope down current.

Last time we were there was the Powerboat race weekend. Walking along that wall with the wife and kids, I was contemplating how a person could control that drift enough to work your way along the wall more slowly to detect. I bet a rope tied to the sea wall fence with loops every couple of feet would work. Finish that rope, whatever length it was and move to the next rope down current.

Detect? Absolutely impossible. My opinion. With all the iron, lead and everything else I wouldn't even try to attempt it! I have eyeballed two gold rings down there but no way would I try to take a detector down.

I did not known that! I'd have to go back to my log but I think the Fontana was something we did. That was the one with the cable running to it, wasn't interested? Yep, best wreck diving in the world sits between Ontario, Michigan and New York.

Yeah, apparently it had been reported stolen a couple of days earlier. Guess that's one we'll have to add to bucket lists :laughing7:

Detect? Absolutely impossible. My opinion. With all the iron, lead and everything else I wouldn't even try to attempt it! I have eyeballed two gold rings down there but no way would I try to take a detector down.

Yeah, probably a crap load of slag in there. Ah well. Dream a little dream...

Hey Scuba, you sure do pull a lot of sweet stuff n your hunts. Today is another on eof those hunts. Congrats.

Love that Barber Quarter ! Other finds are cool also!
Congrats and HH

Always enjoy seeing your finds, Scuba. Your mention of lakes makes me think you are diving fresh water? I'm surprised at the color and corrosion levels of some of the silver items you find. I've always assumed you are diving salt water. Just curious.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back