Barber Quarter

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
This is not a today find....but I did find this within the week :)....

Since I started MD'ing since April of this year....my interest in coins has risen!! Even though all we have found is CLAD (learning all this awesome terms lately :))...I did find in my own front yard, a 1959 and a 1962 Silver Dime (I couldn't remember where I found them...but when looking through pics, I had taken pics of some digs and they were in it...so now I know where they were found :) WHEW!!) And they were both found by an old tree in my yard....one was buried within the roots and was a royal pain the tushie to get out!!!!

Anyways, I decided to take all my coins I have collected over the years (you know, what you find in pocket change). I have my Kennedy Dollar, lots of halves, several Sac(sp?) Gold Dollars, even found I had a Merc Dime from 1944, and loads of wheats (my oldest though is only 1917 and I have every year from 1938 to 1958, have a 1926 and 1934) anyways....

I was going through my NEW QUARTERS (been saving them for my kids, have some proof sets for them)...I ran across, what I thought was a slug...I nearly through it away...after looking at it...saw it said QUARTER DOLLAR and then reading my US Coins 2006 book...found it to be a Barber Quarter. Only prob...the coin is very very worn. I can't read the date. After much straining and the straining of others eyes :), we concluded it's a 1908. I am attaching a pic of it. I put it away in a holder and even though it's value is not much at all, due to it's condition...I am still saving it :) We did not find this in MD'ing....nor can I tell you how we came to have it...but I got it :)

Attachments

• barber quarter front back 1a.jpg
    barber quarter front back 1a.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 448
Upvote 0

Dave N Japan

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2006
Japan
Detector(s) used
CZ-3D, CZ-20,CZ-21, F-75 LTD, AT Pro, F-44
Fisher Impulse 8 and 10,
GTA 750 CTX (new)
ADS Master Hunter 7 (Retired)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like it has been around..I also buy proof sets for the kids and grandkids someday!

OP
OP
LadyDigger

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Yeah, does look like this had been around the block a few times LOL

My MIL buys for all her grandkids too! Now she has 4 great grands....don't know if she will buy for them :)

Well, the detector I am using (GARRETT ACE 150) is actually my son's we got him for his 11th birthday. He used it a couple of times and it sat there until April of this year and I have been using it since and having a BLAST!!! We intend to get our youngest son one as well. This summer, we hope to get the boys out there. They play way too much POKEMON and CPU Games!!!! What a great way to get them outdoors and do family things together!!!

And I want them to find their own and have them start their own collection. Trying to get them interested in coin collecting. So far, I have made a small dent in their interest :)

beetle662

Bronze Member
Jul 25, 2003
Independence, KY
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+
Silver is silver! Date or no date... it's still worth more than a quarter!!!

Nice find! Glad ya didn't chuck it out!

Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can call it a great day when you find silver. Date or no date good job. HH Burdie

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread