Basalt pestle found at Snowbird.

Needle

Dec 24, 2007
Roseburg, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's-GMT
This basalt pestle was found back in the 1980's up Little river in the Glide, Oregon area at a place called Snowbird. It was at the beginning of a new road we had built, laying on the slope. When I first picked it up it was dirty and dusty, I thought it was metal and I banged it hard on the hitch of a truck (luckily it did not break) then I took a canteen and poured water on it then, I immediately knew what it was. No other artifacts were found. ( Modification ) The length is 7 1/2" it is 1 1/2" across the top and 2 1/8" across the bottom. As far as value goes, I don't have a clue and besides it would never be for sale, I would donate it to the County Museum first so every one could enjoy it.

Attachments

• Snowbird pestle.JPG
    Snowbird pestle.JPG
    24.1 KB · Views: 468
Upvote 0
Oh man, that's a find of a lifetime. I bet it's worth a few bucks.

:) I found an Indian Artifact once up Steamboat Creek, ( that is a tributary of The North Umpqua River in Oregon ) I have never seen any posts that look like it, maybe someone has one like it and could post a picture of one.

This is what it looked like...
It was a piece of obsidian about the size of a nickle and just a little thicker, it was hand chipped on both sides to make it sharp edge 360 degrees.

I don't know exactly what it was used for, guessing - maybe they threw it to kill grouse or maybe it was a personal item for cutting up meat? Needle ???

Needle, Caution on a donation to a county,State,Govt. museum. You may think they are honest , some are some ain't. I have given lots of stuff, One item was estimated to be worth over 35000 CW Officers sword, 17 coins 234BC to 100 ad.
2 swords with silver inlay, 1700 Montenegro, 5 flint lock rifles, 3 flint lock pistols, From Monte Negro Greece Turkey and Sahara, on and on. Every item disappeared, no record, three different places and areas. Some one there took them home for their collection. I will never trust them again. Some were supposed to be friends, and I thought they were honest ow well. I noticed the Horseshoe Bend Fed Mil Park Display was empty, I asked the lady there what happened to all the relics, oh we never had any since I've been here. She had been there 7 years and lied, that's why I will never turn anything over to those people. Gnewt

:( I am sorry your trust was betrayed, thanks for the advice.
That's why we have prisons, for people like that!!!!! Needle ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back