✅ SOLVED Baseball Token - Charlie Chaplin Baseball Token

BlackbeardsGhost

Jun 7, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
Detector(s) used
AT PRO, CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for looking, attached are pictures of a baseball token. One side has a man in a Derby/Bowler hat and I believe letters C C on either side. The reverse has the stitching from a baseball. Found in the vicinity of an 1875 indian head and most of the old coins date to 1870s from this spot. Never seen anything like it and nothing I can find online so far. Any help is appreciated. The coin weighs ~3.5g. Looks to be copper in my opinion or a mix of copper and others. Coin is in middle of modern nickel and Indian head penny(1875) for reference.

Attachments

• IMG_3941.jpg
    IMG_3941.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_3942.jpg
    IMG_3942.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_3943.jpg
    IMG_3943.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_3944.jpg
    IMG_3944.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_39412.jpg
    IMG_39412.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 30
I’d say the picture is Charlie Chaplin and CC are his initials. Nice find!

Chaplin it is (according to an Ebay seller), but I don't know when or why... and neither did the seller:

Chaplin Token.jpg

He did play several seasons of minor-league baseball prior to working in films and in a few charity matches after he became famous. Maybe it's from one of those charity matches. Here he is in a charity game for the Red Cross in March 1917:

Chaplin.jpg

In his film "The Immigrant" he performs an exaggerated baseball-pitcher like wind-up before rolling the dice in a craps game, but those are the only baseball connections I know of. His image was widely used for all kinds of promotional purpose. Many tokens were made for individual cinema premieres of his films but those almost invariably have the theatre/cinema name on them and I don't see any obvious reason why such a token would have a baseball on it.

It's a cool find whatever it is.

Last edited:
Upvote 3
Chaplin it is (according to an Ebay seller), but I don't know when or why... and neither did the seller:

View attachment 2107442

He did play several seasons of minor-league baseball prior to working in films and in a few charity matches after he became famous. Maybe it's from one of those charity matches. Here he is in a charity game for the Red Cross in March 1917:

View attachment 2107443

In his film "The Immigrant" he performs an exaggerated baseball-pitcher like wind-up before rolling the dice in a craps game, but those are the only baseball connections I know of. His image was widely used for all kinds of promotional purpose. Many tokens were made for individual cinema premieres of his films but those almost invariably have the theatre/cinema name on them and I don't see any obvious reason why such a token would have a baseball on it.

It's a cool find whatever it is.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back