What's new

Baseboard heater question..? Seeking opinions / knowledge

Limitool

Gold Member
Joined
Jun 9, 2013
Messages
7,955
Reaction score
12,322
Golden Thread
0
Location
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I built an 1100 sq. ft. little home on the back of my property way back in 2000. It was 90% finished when "dad" here QUIT! Never touched it again... period.

Now 25 years later my son wants me to finish it for him to use. So we worked out a deal and I'm doing just that. But now some things have to be redone after 25 years. Deck needs rebuilt, porch roof re-decked and a steel roof installed. Deck is almost done now. The inside is now cleaned out after 25 years of collecting all the "good junk". The inside is completely wired and dry-walled. Passed state inspection to use as a "shed" till it will pass a residential state inspection. Had to change out all outets and 110 breaks to meet new code ($600+ cost). That's now done. Everything I changed had never been used...!

I used back in 2000 10/3 ga wire and ran 3 lines for baseboard heaters. The 3-220V breakers are each 20 amp. Bedroom, dining room and living room. Do I like baseboard heaters... NO. But that's what this place is getting. This building is WIDE OPEN within. It has a large overhead loft. The bedroom, bathroom and closet are under the loft. So a 16' ceiling with a steep pitch. Now I'm trying to learn what is the best baseboard heater choice to buy and install. This meaning.... 110 vs 220 baseboard heaters. Again it's wired for 220 but I can change to single pole if needed. I'm hoping somebody will have some knowledge and a "better" choice for this application. The home is very well insulated. SO ANY IDEAS ON WHAT MIGHT BE BEST....? :dontknow: Thanks for any help or opinions.... Brad
 
They are very dated and better heating options are available. Do you already have them?

From my electrician from my last use of baseboards in a remodel.

The heat produced is directly related to the wattage of the heater, regardless of supply voltage. A 240V 1000W heater will produce exactly the same heat as a 120V 1000W heater.

The 240V unit will be slightly more efficient to operate. A general rule is higher voltage yields higher efficiency. You can also use smaller gauge wire to install it as a 240V load draws half the current of a 120V load at equal wattage. Personally, I would install the 240V although it won't make a whole lot of difference unless the distance from your panel to the heater is large.

If you do use 240V heaters, make sure the thermostat or switch you get is a double-pole so you can control both hot legs with one device.
 
Last edited:
I built an 1100 sq. ft. little home on the back of my property way back in 2000. It was 90% finished when "dad" here QUIT! Never touched it again... period.

Now 25 years later my son wants me to finish it for him to use. So we worked out a deal and I'm doing just that. But now some things have to be redone after 25 years. Deck needs rebuilt, porch roof re-decked and a steel roof installed. Deck is almost done now. The inside is now cleaned out after 25 years of collecting all the "good junk". The inside is completely wired and dry-walled. Passed state inspection to use as a "shed" till it will pass a residential state inspection. Had to change out all outets and 110 breaks to meet new code ($600+ cost). That's now done. Everything I changed had never been used...!

I used back in 2000 10/3 ga wire and ran 3 lines for baseboard heaters. The 3-220V breakers are each 20 amp. Bedroom, dining room and living room. Do I like baseboard heaters... NO. But that's what this place is getting. This building is WIDE OPEN within. It has a large overhead loft. The bedroom, bathroom and closet are under the loft. So a 16' ceiling with a steep pitch. Now I'm trying to learn what is the best baseboard heater choice to buy and install. This meaning.... 110 vs 220 baseboard heaters. Again it's wired for 220 but I can change to single pole if needed. I'm hoping somebody will have some knowledge and a "better" choice for this application. The home is very well insulated. SO ANY IDEAS ON WHAT MIGHT BE BEST....? :dontknow: Thanks for any help or opinions.... Brad
Nobody around here can afford to turn baseboard heaters on. Our power goes out and you are out of luck for heat until it comes back on. Most around here sat idle since the late 1970’s.

I don’t see electricity rates going down.

However, oil prices will likely lower. Personally I’d do a kerosene heater and a small wood stove. Especially considering oil prices are set to drop.

The big thing now is a Mini-Split plus a wood stove.

Since you are dead set on a baseboard heaters, at least look at oil filled radiators.
 
They are very dated and better heating options are available. Do you already have them?

If you do use 240V heaters, make sure the thermostat or switch you get is a double-pole so you can control both hot legs with one device.
I haven't bought anything yet. Just have 3-240 lines runs on separate 20 amp breakers using 10 ga. wire hanging out of wall near floor. All 3 runs are a short distance from breaker box. 20-25 ft ea.

What other options do you suggest...? No room for duct work. Good advise OV on the thermo also. THANKS.
 
Since you are dead set on a baseboard heaters, at least look at oil filled radiators.
Well I'm not "dead set" on baseboards its just that I'm a set up for them already. We live high on a ridgetop and electric is all we have. BUT.... I never thought about oil filled radiators....! I'll look into them. Have you ever used them...? Thanks for the advise sir.
 
I haven't bought anything yet. Just have 3-240 lines runs on separate 20 amp breakers using 10 ga. wire hanging out of wall near floor. All 3 runs are a short distance from breaker box. 20-25 ft ea.

What other options do you suggest...? No room for duct work. Good advise OV on the thermo also. THANKS.




Screenshot 2025-05-16 at 14-02-36 ACiQ 9 000 BTU 19 SEER Single Zone 115V Wall Mounted Mini S...webp
 
Last edited:
I have been in my current house for 29 years now. It has 220 baseboard heat, and a gas living room heater. I use the baseboards for very cold situations and the gas heater for most of my heating. I think wood heat is the best and warmest heat there is, but the messiest. Gas heat is the second best in my humble opinion. Good luck on what you decide!
 
Last edited:
Nobody around here can afford to turn baseboard heaters on. Our power goes out and you are out of luck for heat until it comes back on. Most around here sat idle since the late 1970’s.

I don’t see electricity rates going down.

However, oil prices will likely lower. Personally I’d do a kerosene heater and a small wood stove. Especially considering oil prices are set to drop.

The big thing now is a Mini-Split plus a wood stove.

Since you are dead set on a baseboard heaters, at least look at oil filled radiators.
Baseboard heaters sucks. Mini Split and the wood stove is the way to go.
 
Well I'm not "dead set" on baseboards it’s just that I'm a set up for them already. We live high on a ridgetop and electric is all we have. BUT.... I never thought about oil filled radiators....! I'll look into them. Have you ever used them...? Thanks for the advise sir.
I only have used a bathroom 1500 watt one and it is much more efficient than a glowing element. Also there is a MUCH lower fire hazard. Baseboard heaters are a HUGE fire hazard. I’m surprised folks are still installing them. Cat knocks down a curtain and your house, pets, family is at risk.
 
I haven't bought anything yet. Just have 3-240 lines runs on separate 20 amp breakers using 10 ga. wire hanging out of wall near floor. All 3 runs are a short distance from breaker box. 20-25 ft ea.

What other options do you suggest...? No room for duct work. Good advise OV on the thermo also. THANKS.
Well a mini-split is installed outside along the wall. The ducting can be directly above the unit through the wall. Air conditioning and heating. Supposed to be efficient.

Some are made for two heads, with ducting run through the rafters, or you buy to single head units if you have a larger house.

But for me, being zero reliant on the gov. to come save me in the dead of winter is important. A wood stove is mandatory, even if it’s not used very often. It’s well worth the cost.

I don’t know what your climate is in the winter.
 
So like a oil filled radiator as suggested above...?
IMG_4694.webp


Oregon Viking posted the mini-split info too. Do the baseboards now if you need it to pass inspection and you can’t afford anything better now. But you’re not doing your son any favors by having baseboards as the only heat source.
 
It’s kind of like saying you’re going to have propane heating because you already have a tank and it’s plumbed into the house!! Expensive
 
Brad, I use an oil-filled heater here in my shop, and it is quite efficient. Still the room is small in comparison to an 1100 sq. ft. home. It does a great job of keeping my shop warm (which is built inside my garage), and I rarely have to use the full 1500 watts, and 90% of the time I only use the 600W switch..it keep the room at a steady 69F.

For heating our home (1800 sq. ft), like you we are all electric. We have a 15,000 watt electric furnace that does a good job, but when it's really cold outside (under 20F.) it has to run almost constantly to maintain the house at 66F. My winter time electric bills can run $400 mo., which is just nuts!
 
Brad, I use an oil-filled heater here in my shop, and it is quite efficient. Still the room is small in comparison to an 1100 sq. ft. home. It does a great job of keeping my shop warm (which is built inside my garage), and I rarely have to use the full 1500 watts, and 90% of the time I only use the 600W switch..it keep the room at a steady 69F.

For heating our home (1800 sq. ft), like you we are all electric. We have a 15,000 watt electric furnace that does a good job, but when it's really cold outside (under 20F.) it has to run almost constantly to maintain the house at 66F. My winter time electric bills can run $400 mo., which is just nuts!
You must be in an area where pellet stoves or wood stoves are illegal? I burned 2 cords this winter. If purchased (rather than me cutting it), it would be $500 a winter or $70 per month.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom