Battery question

all detectors are Different. there is no cut & dry answer. Isn't there anything mentioned in the Manual ? if not, you'r going to have to find out on your own. USE ALKALINES ONLY. Heavy Duty Batteries won't last or Give proper Power.

nothing mentioned in the manual at all on them. I am using the duracell copper tops right now. I always have extras with me ;D

GOOD DEAL ;) it's always good to be Prepaired :) Just like the BOY SCOUTS ;D

My manual says to use alkaline batteries only. I have found that Duracel or Energizer last longer tan Rayovac. My manual also says that even though the meter isn't reading completely low you might get better results if you go ahead and change them out. I notice that with my BH Land Ranger I start to get false tones if my battery starts to go down much at all. I probably get about eight to ten hours use on a set of batteries. That's about 4 outings for me in this winter weather. As the weather gets better I will probably spend more time than I do now and I always carry a couple of sets of new batteries with me. I have got a bad battery that went sour in only a couple of hours so it pays to have more than one set of spares.

The batteries packs I got with the XLT = 8 AA's I would recharge every night and average hunt time is 6-10 hours with no sign of slowing down on the batteries part. The packs last me 3 years if you take care of them. Others I know go through batteries to fast to even allow them to hunt effectively

BULL said:
nothing mentioned in the manual at all on them.? I am using the duracell copper tops right now.? I always have extras with me ;D

Here's something you folks might try, I have not done this for a long time, but years ago when I did it with my Old Tesoros it was amazing.
Just when you change batteries, take a small piece of paper and write the date on it and slip it inside the battery compartment.
then when you change it, you will get an idea of the number of months it lasted. (or if your machine is really crappy the # of weeks)
what type of machine do you use ?

CRAPPY # WEEKS ? lol, My Sovereign on Alkalines lasts me 3 Days !, lol . I use Recharbles and it Crys to be charced every other Day. CAN YOU SAY "VACUME" ;D jeff

DigginD said:
My old Compass metal detector took 4 AA batteries and I swear I never had to change them all last summer and I went out about 4-5 times each week.? I bought alkaline Panasonic batteries from the dollar store(fresh batteries with a good expiration date) and they were unbelievable in performance.

My old Tesoro Metal detectors were like that, one set of fresh batteries lasted months and months. I even remember changing the batteries once
just because I thought they had been in too long, even though the "battery test tone" was still strong....
My DFX used 8 AA and lasts up to 2 months depending on amount of us, generally 3-4 good 8 hour hunting days....

jeff of pa said:
CRAPPY # WEEKS ? lol, My Sovereign on Alkalines lasts me 3 Days !, lol . I use Recharbles and it Crys to be charced every other Day. CAN YOU SAY "VACUME"? ;D jeff

I seem to recall a Sovereign I had once................................. but only ONCE !!!

My BH Tracker IV appears to go for about 24 to 35 hours on two 9 volts. I can tell when they're going dead by the increased chatter.

DigginD, the Ace 250 is very good on batteries. Amazingly good considering how high they have the valume cranked up!

Since the Ace is a BIG TONE machine (the only quiet tones are during pinpoint) I see little need for headphones. Still, the speaker is so loud that I finally decided to put a couple of strips of electrical tape over the speaker slots, quieted it down just about right.

DAS

You are absolutely correct about headphones making the batteries last longer with the added benefit of being able to hear those weak signals much better. Battery life is all over the place depending on the detector brand and model you have. I have some detectors that eat batteries and others that seem to last forever. I do agree that akalines are the only way to go and also like Duracell and Energizer batteries. You're wise to always have spares with you and doing so has saved my day many times. Jim Cal

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back