battle of medina

TEXAN Connection said:
well this is intresting

Albert,
This is the place I have been detecting and sometimes sifting dirt since July. This is the same place where I posted pictures etc. Go to post "Battle of Medina....try again. Some of those finds pictured on woai.com were found by me and many more not pictured. This story has been on three different channels in three days here in San Antonio. The landowner has given me permission to bring in any other detectorists that are interested. If anybody is interested in coming down, let me know and I will set up a dig. We have been having rainy weather almost every week, so its kind of muddy right now.
Moe

The channel 4 news in San Antonio just announce that the artifacts on Stephen Ash Somerset, Texas property were deturmine by archeologists to be only 19 century homestead items. Happy Trails 2 U....

......I guess that no one else was interested in going..........EXCEPT ME.......I was the guest of Moe........The Oak tree on Mr. Ash's property is estimated to be over 400 years old......was told that a cannonball was found......and some old bones.....probably from horses...was found previously......I found nothing related to the Battle of Medina.....but did find a lot of deep targets.....some were over a foot deep.....detected the old oak tree got ferrous readings about chest high and some more readings way over my head....would only read/detect in all metal.......on Nickel discriminate ....no reading at all.......could be hiding a Cannonball or two or more.....we estimated that the tree was over 200 years old at the time of the battle....MAYBE NOT IN THE MAIN BATTLE BUT DEFINITELY COULD HAVE BEEN ON THE FRINGE'S OF THE BATTLESITE.............JOE

Last I heard, there was suppose to of been a hunt earlier this year but nothing ever came of it, now we are headed for warmer weather. I have been concentrating more on beach/water hunting going after gold rings. Maybe there will be another Medina hunt later on. HH

Has anyone heard of any more attempts to search for the site? Cooler weather should be here soon!
Baggins

Baggins said:
Has anyone heard of any more attempts to search for the site? Cooler weather should be here soon!
Baggins

I went to the annual Battle of Medina memorial service at El Carmen church in Losoya, Texas in August. Dan Arellano told me that he has been given pemission to hunt another property estimated to be 100 acres. He is waiting for cooler weather, sometime in the fall timeframe.

Also at the memorial, a local landowner showed up with a 4lb solid shot cannon ball he found digging in his front yard and everybody got to see, touch, hold, or photograph a piece of history. This is the second ball I have actually seen at these memorials. So I think we are getting close to finding the site. If only we could get more landowners to give us permission to hunt we could find the battlefield before the 200th anniversary.

Moe

Hey Moe, thanks for the update! I'm really looking forward to getting back out there and looking!
Baggins

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back