🥇 BANNER Battle of Selma Civil War Belt Buckle

NateD

Aug 6, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this yesterday hunting in Selma, AL. I don't know much about Civil War artifacts and would appreciate any information. It was around 6 to 7 inches in the ground. The 3 ringer bullet was found about 10 yards from the buckle.

Does anyone know an approximate value?

Thanks for any information.

Nate

Attachments

• 20230401_135450.jpg
    20230401_135450.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 396,993
  • 20230401_135456.jpg
    20230401_135456.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 346
  • 20230401_124231.jpg
    20230401_124231.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 337
Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 81

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I wouldn't think that this buckle would be worth much, so I would just send it to my address once I forward you my information........Rrrrrrrright. That Rectangular CS Plate is over the top. I've been hunting since 1981 and never found one, and will most likely never find one. That is a once in a lifetime Save and Find to Relic Hunters. I would put a price on the buckle you found as Priceless. Congrat's. And you were correct when you said this will look great in your display. Happy for you man, this is a beautiful piece of CW History, and Confetrit' at that.

metrotec

Jan 5, 2020
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites, Radio Shack, Metrotec, peach tree fork
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great find on the rectangle.
I'm guessing around $2500-$3000
My significant other that I'm looking at across the table as I type, her ancestors founded the Town of Selma ,AL.
I've read a lot of her paper work, tax papers etc. that list the assets.
Also, her g-g-g-g uncle was Vice President of the USA. Never served, sworn in, died in Cuba before coming back to USA.
My woman is great, we're both in out 70's and have enjoyed life.
Heading to Hawaii in May..

OP
OP
N

NateD

Aug 6, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't think that this buckle would be worth much, so I would just send it to my address once I forward you my information........Rrrrrrrright. That Rectangular CS Plate is over the top. I've been hunting since 1981 and never found one, and will most likely never find one. That is a once in a lifetime Save and Find to Relic Hunters. I would put a price on the buckle you found as Priceless. Congrat's. And you were correct when you said this will look great in your display. Happy for you man, this is a beautiful piece of CW History, and Confetrit' at that.
Thanks for your comments. One thing I've learned in this hobby is you never know what you're going to pull out of the ground. I guess that's what keeps all of us to keep digging holes. Best of luck on your next hunt.

OP
OP
N

NateD

Aug 6, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great find on the rectangle.
I'm guessing around $2500-$3000
My significant other that I'm looking at across the table as I type, her ancestors founded the Town of Selma ,AL.
I've read a lot of her paper work, tax papers etc. that list the assets.
Also, her g-g-g-g uncle was Vice President of the USA. Never served, sworn in, died in Cuba before coming back to USA.
My woman is great, we're both in out 70's and have enjoyed life.
Heading to Hawaii in May..
That is very interesting. Thanks for sharing and enjoy Hawaii.

VaGent

Apr 20, 2021
Central Virginia
Detector(s) used
Currently Deus XP, also have 2 Minelab Explorer XS as backups.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It doesnt get any better than that! That sardine can CS is a once-in-a-lifetime find....

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AMAZING FINDS !!! Thanks for sharing with us all !!!

Cherokee65

Mar 28, 2023
Mid-Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this yesterday hunting in Selma, AL. I don't know much about Civil War artifacts and would appreciate any information. It was around 6 to 7 inches in the ground. The 3 ringer bullet was found about 10 yards from the buckle.

Nate
I’m going out on Sunday to a Civil War battlefield not very far from my home. There was 12,000 soldiers in the area and some died here. I don’t know what I’ll find but I’m really ready to go there!

Cherokee65

Mar 28, 2023
Mid-Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nate
Congrats!!

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nate can you tell us what machine you were using and about how deep it was :)

Surfline

Dec 30, 2021

Nate
Fantastic find! Congrats!

BennyV

Feb 22, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just read the story of the Battle. Interesting stuff. It’s called the Final Battle of the Civil War.

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If the bullet you found with the buckle has a solid base instead of the usual conical base-cavity, it is not a "3-ringer," it is an unfired yankee .52 Spencer Repeating Rifle bullet. (Although it is a .52-caliber, because it is a Breechloader bullet its actual diameter is approximately .553-inch.)

Congratulations on finding that "Army of Tennessee style CS" infantryman waistbelt buckle!

Attachments

• bullet_Spencer52_no-casing_photobyHenrique_134-1.jpg
    bullet_Spencer52_no-casing_photobyHenrique_134-1.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 19

GeoW

Jul 12, 2005
Coastal Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II, XP Deus, XP ORX, Nautilus DMCllBa, Troy X5 Shadow, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Outlaw

Nate
Nice!

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was using a Garrett AT Gold and the buckle was about 6 to 7 inches deep.
Thank you so very much. being only 6 or 7 inches deep should make a lot of people smile knowing there machgines are capable of finding them :) Once again GREAT FIND :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions