Battlefield Hunting..Safe?

Trond

Mar 23, 2006
Norway
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmaxx Power.
I detected around an WW2 coastal fortress last summer and i dug an anti tank mine, it weight 5-6 kg (10pounds?).
Everyone believed this place to be secured for 60years. Until i come along with my JW fisher 8xpulse.

A battlefield is never 100% secure. -That's my experience now

ww2digger

Aug 27, 2008
Just dig nice and slow.......take a trowel with you to dig carefully once you've dug your 'primary' hole.

I've exposed 2inch and 3 inch mortar rounds, a large artillery shell and a number of other 'dodgy' items over the years (all reported to authorities for proper disposal), but going slowly and carefully will help keep you safe.

Remember, when the object is in the ground.....if you can't positively say to yourself 'that's safe to take'......then expose more of it until you can. If, after exposing most of the object you are still unsure about whether it's safe or not.....LEAVE IT !

ww2digger

Mikki

Greenie
Jun 10, 2008
South Finland
You can find enything out there. If you dug batlefield you can find many kinds stuff. Dont hit something wierd with showel... ;D

Sometimes its exating...

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
You were told NO about the Gettysburgh Battlefield because it IS illegal to hunt places that your taxes maintain.......NGE also it is a National Park

Boilermaker27

Oct 16, 2003
St. Louis
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon/Minelab Safari/Minelab Excalibur2
The point is that if you go on a national battlefield it is illegal. You will be arrested and will lose your detector and possibly your vehicle. Fines go as high as $25000 and you could also get a few years in the pen. if you get caught more than once. These people don't mess around and the courts in these areas know all about relic hunters and will make an example out of you if caught.

Now, if you can get on some private areas which is doubtful around National Parks because so many people trespass there is absolutely nothing to be scared about. There are tens of thousands of unexploded shells out there, but they are reasonably safe if you are careful with them. If you mess with them to much they will kill you, like one killed a guy last year (2008) and severely injured another guy in 2007. Gunpowder is safe when wet, but when it dries out it is very dangerous. If a shell is cracked open keep it in water. If it is not cracked open and the fuse is still in the shell be careful. If it is a Borman fuse and it is not punched, be real careful.

NewbieTR

Dec 31, 2007
Memphis
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Quick Draw II
jhettel said:
The point is that if you go on a national battlefield it is illegal. You will be arrested and will lose your detector and possibly your vehicle. Fines go as high as $25000 and you could also get a few years in the pen. if you get caught more than once. These people don't mess around and the courts in these areas know all about relic hunters and will make an example out of you if caught.

Now, if you can get on some private areas which is doubtful around National Parks because so many people trespass there is absolutely nothing to be scared about. There are tens of thousands of unexploded shells out there, but they are reasonably safe if you are careful with them. If you mess with them to much they will kill you, like one killed a guy last year (2008) and severely injured another guy in 2007. Gunpowder is safe when wet, but when it dries out it is very dangerous. If a shell is cracked open keep it in water. If it is not cracked open and the fuse is still in the shell be careful. If it is a Borman fuse and it is not punched, be real careful.

Yep, it's a violation of ARPA (Archeological Resource Preservation Act). They can fine you for "soil damage" as well as make you part of the Federal Penal system. The landmark case was successfully prosecuted by Shiloh Park back in the early '90's.

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was stationed in Okinawa Japan in 1999-2000, while my platoon was a "fire & maneuver" course on Camp Hanson in the rain the Range Officer stopped all activity due to a navel shell being exposed. The shell must of landed in the mud and never detonated and laid there ever since WWII. Over the years of rain and erosion it finally was exposed. The thing was right in the middle of a super high traffic area where people have been running and firing for decades. Needless to say our training was done for the day as E.O.D. had to get rid of it. You just never know what you will find while out on a battle field.

Erdspiegel

Feb 7, 2009
Berlin
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6a
XP-GmaxxII
Primary Interest:
Other
Battlefield Hunting is never safe.
No one is able to look thru the ground before digging,so ever two comerades are with: the care & the death.

mrwirtner

Greenie
Oct 29, 2008
Tyrone, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
last time i was in gettysburg i was speaking with a re-enactor who had witnessed a relic hunter being caught and he said when all was said and done he lost his detector, and was fined 75$ per hole a side story he told me was the guy was fighting with his wife and went MDing to let off steam. i bought my detector in gettysburg and was leery of taking route 15 through picketts charge with it in the trunk. definate no no

Aquila

Jun 9, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 150, Golden mask 3
allen said:
most cases its against the law to detect a battlefield like gettysburg...
Mostly not outside US. Unexploded shells and grenades could be dangerous after tens of years. Digging battlefields is quite exciting but also it has risks like everything else.

Aquila

Jun 9, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 150, Golden mask 3
Collymore said:
US battlefields must be a walk in the park compared to Russia.
Yes, definetly. Similar battlefields also in Eastern Europe and Germany.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread