BBQd Onions

BangTango

Feb 24, 2009
Re: BBQ'd Onions

I heard of something simlair to this but you add a pat of butter and a bullion cube and put it in the Microwave.....Never tried it but sounds good.
Bang

OP
OP
S

stefen

With either method the onion is steamed in its own juices...

Will experiment with butter next time.

OP
OP
S

stefen

BangTango said:
I heard of something simlair to this but you add a pat of butter and a bullion cube and put it in the Microwave.....Never tried it but sounds good.
Bang

Tried it and in my opinion, its better without the butter.

Also skewered the onions then sliced them in 1/2 inch slices...brush with olive oil , salt and pepper and place on the grill. cook to taste

OP
OP
S

stefen

I'm sure your going to tell :laughing7:us

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero

You can also put them on the grill whole, without peeling. The peeling will burn but the onion will not. They get soooo sweet. Add flavor when you eat them.

Vidalia's rule. :thumbsup:

Randy

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I'm game to try this out, sounds good. I will also cook a Vadalia and Spanish to see if there are any differnces in flavor. Thanks for the tip

OP
OP
S

stefen

spartacus53 said:
I'm game to try this out, sounds good. I will also cook a Vadalia and Spanish to see if there are any differnces in flavor. Thanks for the tip

Big difference between white, yellow and red onions...I'm sure you will find the same with the vadalia and spanish

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Not a big fan of the white onion, unless sauteed in butter and tossed on a burger. The other varieties are much sweeter. :icon_thumleft:

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I bought a little gizmo last summer that is shaped like a big onion. You put an onion of your choice in it, add whatever you like to flavor it if anything. Pop in microwave for 8 minutes. Comes out cooked perfect and you can put it on a sandwich or just eat it as is. I'm an onion lover anyway they are fixed! Monty

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Monty said:
I bought a little gizmo last summer that is shaped like a big onion. You put an onion of your choice in it, add whatever you like to flavor it if anything. Pop in microwave for 8 minutes. Comes out cooked perfect and you can put it on a sandwich or just eat it as is. I'm an onion lover anyway they are fixed! Monty

Do the onions caramelize at all???

OP
OP
S

stefen

spartacus53 said:
Do the onions caramelize at all???

Yes.

Just check out a reciped for French Onion Soup...its the carmelized residue that gives the soup its great taste...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread