What's new

Be vewy vewy quiet, we are hunting...

Digger54

Hero Member
🥇 Charter Member
Joined
Dec 6, 2010
Messages
659
Reaction score
892
Golden Thread
0
Location
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, Bandido II, Sovereign GT, Fisher1280X, Nautilus DMCIIB, Deus2, Manticore.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I found this wascal a few years ago in the deep woods of the SC Lowcountry where a few other scraps of brass, enfield bullet drops, and a South Carolina State seal popped up. Nothing else. My thoughts are either it was a drop from hunters, or a civil war soldier was carrying it as a keepsake from his child. I am very curious about this brass rabbit.

I want to clean it up and gently polish off the rough patina but I am hesitant if it has some sort of specific history. Input?
 

Attachments

  • Wabbit1.webp
    Wabbit1.webp
    72.7 KB · Views: 363
I would not clean it any more than it already is.

Cleaning it would destroy most of its value.
 
Upvote 0
mick56 said:
I would not clean it any more than it already is.

Cleaning it would destroy most of its value.

The history and possible value is what I am trying to determine. Unless this item has specific history or a high monetary value (which I doubt), I am inclined to go against my policy of leaving relics unaltered and polish it for a better appearance.
 
Upvote 0
Digger54 said:
mick56 said:
I would not clean it any more than it already is.

Cleaning it would destroy most of its value.

The history and possible value is what I am trying to determine. Unless this item has specific history or a high monetary value (which I doubt), I am inclined to go against my policy of leaving relics unaltered and polish it for a better appearance.

Regardless, I personally would leave it as-is! Can't make it have a better appearance than it does right there! That is nice relic!
 
Upvote 0
I'm having trouble finding a match..... hard to find a rabbit wearing shoes and jacket, Not Peter Rabbit or the White Rabbit of Alice in Wonderland.
 
Upvote 0
Maybe this guy? Benjamin Bunny - from the Peter Rabbit series:


Beatrix_Potter_Benjamin_Bunny.jpg
 
Upvote 0
Bramblefind said:
Maybe this guy? Benjamin Bunny - from the Peter Rabbit series:


Beatrix_Potter_Benjamin_Bunny.jpg

That looks like an exact match to me! Very good detective work. That being the case, it had to have been a hunter drop since Benjamin Bunny was first introduced in 1904. Very strange that the drop would have happended right in the middle of a small relic site in the deep woods. Maybe a hunter took along his son or daughter who dropped it, or just carried it for good luck. I once found a 1921 Silver dollar under a huge oak in a confederate picket point which told me it had to have been a hunter drop from the tree.
 
Upvote 0
Yep Benjamin Bunny

royal_doulton_beatrix_potter_bp_6_no_box_P0000135720S0074T2.webpWabbit1.webpBeatrix_Potter_Benjamin_Bunny.webp
 
Upvote 0
GoodyGuy said:
Yep Benjamin Bunny

Thanks to all! My next step is trying to figure out who made the figurine and when.
 
Upvote 0
Digger54 said:
GoodyGuy said:
Yep Benjamin Bunny

Thanks to all! My next step is trying to figure out who made the figurine and when.

Check the bottom real good for markings.
 
Upvote 0
No Markings

Check the bottom real good for markings.
[/quote]

Went over the bottom real good with a jeweler's loop and no mark. : (
 
Upvote 0
Re: No Markings

Digger54 said:
Went over the bottom real good with a jeweler's loop and no mark. : (

A lot of the Vienna bronze pieces / cold painted miniatures (similar to yours) aren't signed/marked:

http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/726641

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/tiny-old-miniature-vienna-bronze-rabbit-figurine

The Benjamin Bunny pieces I've seen are in the standing position (the sitting rabbit in the top link just lists it as "rabbit" so it could possibly be an imitation of Benjamin Bunny):

http://cgi.ebay.com/BEATRIX-POTTER-...eAntiques_Collectables_EH&hash=item56413a7661
 
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Upvote 0
Re: No Markings

Kenosha Kid said:
Digger54 said:
Went over the bottom real good with a jeweler's loop and no mark. : (

A lot of the Vienna bronze pieces / cold painted miniatures (similar to yours) aren't signed/marked:

http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/726641

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/tiny-old-miniature-vienna-bronze-rabbit-figurine

The Benjamin Bunny pieces I've seen are in the standing position (the sitting rabbit in the top link just lists it as "rabbit" so it could possibly be an imitation of Benjamin Bunny):

http://cgi.ebay.com/BEATRIX-POTTER-...eAntiques_Collectables_EH&hash=item56413a7661

Excellent information, thanks!
 
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom